Mod needed: silence the narcom

Not just the visuals but the sound too.

Doesn't it disable it totally? Setting the CrossCom to full transperancy removes the key functions for the command list apparently, so I figured this would work the same.

Otherwise you've just have to comment out the "actor" elements in the mission script.

I didn't know there was a 1.03 patch with these tools! I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

EDIT: It says this in the hud_visibility.xml....

"narcom - Video feeds, located in the top right corner. The sound of the video feed is always enabled."

Edited by bigcat75

Otherwise you've just have to comment out the "actor" elements in the mission script.

That looks like the sure way to proceed. All I need is an example of a commented-out actor element and I'll proceed with doing them all.

Where do I edit the mission script? I've searched the whole directory and the only file that looks relevant is the narcom.xml in my local folder.

Edited by bigcat75

There might be a few other things I might change (like being able to select the G36 and G36C in SP and Campaign Coop). Any other minor adjustments anyone would like to see?

Right now what I've done is:

1. Removed all narcom videos during briefings

2. Removed all narcom videos during gameplay

3. G36 and G36C are now selectable (Primary/Secondary)

4. M8 compact can select a red dot sight

5. RPG7 selectable

Anything else before I bundle this up and test it out?

Set the transparency for it should work. See the patch 1.03 features.

This seems to have worked for the briefing but not in missions.

There might be a few other things I might change (like being able to select the G36 and G36C in SP and Campaign Coop). Any other minor adjustments anyone would like to see?

Right now what I've done is:

1. Removed all narcom videos during briefings

2. Removed all narcom videos during gameplay

3. G36 and G36C are now selectable (Primary/Secondary)

4. M8 compact can select a red dot sight

5. RPG7 selectable

Anything else before I bundle this up and test it out?

Many of use use Brettzies weapons, will we be able run this mod and that one?

Edited by bigcat75

Don't know, but if I add the RPG, M8 Compact red dot sight, G36 and G36C I'd have to say no.

Edit: This may take longer than expected. I commented out all the actor elements and now the game crashes stating it can't find the narcom. I think I know the problem though.

Thank Whatever for the power of NARCOM, honestly. I mean, really, there's absolutely no pressure on a time-critical stealth operation when the lead operator - in the middle of said operations - is constantly hounded by generals, supposed support personnel and good gravy, is that the Commander in Chief?!

"Mitchell, you'd better haul butt, son, I know you don't have anything better to do right now than to pay attention to me screaming in your face!"

*BLAMBLAMBLAM* "Sorry general, I'll get right on that!"

"Hey Scott? I've got a bunch of footage that won't help you at all about everyone saying that we're really bad people and need to be booted back out of the country. Just thought you should know, makes for fine viewing. I know you're probably sneaking to cap that fellow there in the back of the head - I can see him on satellite right next to you - but I really thought now would be the time, and oh, by the way, I know I prattle on and on, but it's really great working with you guys. You know you can count on me, all the time. Gosh golly gee whillikers!"

*phut* "What? Sorry, was a little busy DOING MY DAMN JOB to pay attention there, Beaver, did you say something important?"

"Captain Mitchell, you saved my keister before down there, and boy howdy, I'm grateful. Now, while I know you're storming that bunker solo and we need you to charge in there as fast as possible even knowing that you have to use stealth tactics to get through the cubic buttload of tangos inhabiting it, I just wanted to let you know that millions of lives depend on you to get in there and take care of that nuke. In case you'd forgotten. I just thought it would be helpful if the most powerful man in the Free World - and incidentally the CiC, the one that ultimately controls every aspect of your life and owns your soul, soldier - told you what was at stake, again, while you're busy doing that for every American who will never know you ever did any of it for them. And with that, I'll let the general scream at you some more. Have a nice day."

"Fantasitc. No pressure, Mr. President, thanks a load."

Now we know why in TV and movies that the heroes suddenly develop 'static' and have to turn off their radios...

Yes, I know it's part of the storyline. Yes, I know it's there for dramatic value. Yes, I know it's supposed to set up important plot points and redirection. But Hotel Sierra, SHUT UP! Give me an off switch, PLEASE! I don't mind getting my mission briefings that way, or even confirmation that my exfil helo is on the way, or reinforcements or what have you, but what team leader wants or needs a general constantly poking his nose into what he's doing, or how he conducts his operations at the orders of said general? Gone are the days of: here's your mission, good luck, we'll see you on the other side. This is the support we'll have available for you, call for it or we'll report it inbound. This is your discretion, get it done.

Honestly. Having an option to turn off the rantings or the like would be exceedingly beneficial. Thank you for your attention to NARCOM. Six clear.

[Merged with one of the existing threads on this - please check before starting new threads]

Edited by Pave Low

but gee whiz!! with out all those flashy movies the crazy cool crosscom is little other than a map.

And if that were the case, you cant throw out super cool names in the game description like "crosscom" or "narcom" etc to make people say "well darn! that sounds fancy"

Looks like this has been taken care of... Nice job!

[post merged with the correct thread]

If you turn off voice quotes after patching to 1.03 they will be silent. :)

Found that option but it didnt turn off the mission briefing sound...

Edited by EasyCo

Thank Whatever for the power of NARCOM, honestly. I mean, really, there's absolutely no pressure on a time-critical stealth operation when the lead operator - in the middle of said operations - is constantly hounded by generals, supposed support personnel and good gravy, is that the Commander in Chief?!

"Mitchell, you'd better haul butt, son, I know you don't have anything better to do right now than to pay attention to me screaming in your face!"

*BLAMBLAMBLAM* "Sorry general, I'll get right on that!"

"Hey Scott? I've got a bunch of footage that won't help you at all about everyone saying that we're really bad people and need to be booted back out of the country. Just thought you should know, makes for fine viewing. I know you're probably sneaking to cap that fellow there in the back of the head - I can see him on satellite right next to you - but I really thought now would be the time, and oh, by the way, I know I prattle on and on, but it's really great working with you guys. You know you can count on me, all the time. Gosh golly gee whillikers!"

*phut* "What? Sorry, was a little busy DOING MY DAMN JOB to pay attention there, Beaver, did you say something important?"

"Captain Mitchell, you saved my keister before down there, and boy howdy, I'm grateful. Now, while I know you're storming that bunker solo and we need you to charge in there as fast as possible even knowing that you have to use stealth tactics to get through the cubic buttload of tangos inhabiting it, I just wanted to let you know that millions of lives depend on you to get in there and take care of that nuke. In case you'd forgotten. I just thought it would be helpful if the most powerful man in the Free World - and incidentally the CiC, the one that ultimately controls every aspect of your life and owns your soul, soldier - told you what was at stake, again, while you're busy doing that for every American who will never know you ever did any of it for them. And with that, I'll let the general scream at you some more. Have a nice day."

"Fantasitc. No pressure, Mr. President, thanks a load."

Now we know why in TV and movies that the heroes suddenly develop 'static' and have to turn off their radios...

Yes, I know it's part of the storyline. Yes, I know it's there for dramatic value. Yes, I know it's supposed to set up important plot points and redirection. But Hotel Sierra, SHUT UP! Give me an off switch, PLEASE! I don't mind getting my mission briefings that way, or even confirmation that my exfil helo is on the way, or reinforcements or what have you, but what team leader wants or needs a general constantly poking his nose into what he's doing, or how he conducts his operations at the orders of said general? Gone are the days of: here's your mission, good luck, we'll see you on the other side. This is the support we'll have available for you, call for it or we'll report it inbound. This is your discretion, get it done.

Honestly. Having an option to turn off the rantings or the like would be exceedingly beneficial. Thank you for your attention to NARCOM. Six clear.

I like the sarcasm. too funny. someone should make machinima with that as a chunk of the script. Would be so funny.

Looks like this has been taken care of... Nice job!

[post merged with the correct thread]

If you turn off voice quotes after patching to 1.03 they will be silent. :)

Found that option but it didnt turn off the mission briefing sound...

What that does is disable the squadmates voices, which is nice sometimes, but I've decided I prefer them on, EXCEPT for the one guy screaming "CAPTAIN I'M TAKING FIRE!!!!!!" But I think their responses to orders and calling out targets, etc are very well done.

With the Nocom mod and 1.03 options this game is So much more enjoyable.

[Merged with one of the existing threads on this - please check before starting new threads]

Actually this thread was the first one, then Nutlink brought us up to date with a new thread once he completed the mod. But it might be a good idea to lock this one so people pay more attention to his Nocom mod thread.

Edited by doubletap

Merged with one of the existing threads on this - please check before starting new threads

Actually this thread was the first one, then Nutlink brought us up to date with a new thread once he completed the mod. But it might be a good idea to lock this one so people pay more attention to his Nocom mod thread.

I agree, as the originator of this thread may I request a lock? The mod has been released so this thread serves no purpose and might even be counterproductive.

Nocom thread: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46140

Edited by bigcat75