Campaign coop server "cannot establish connection"

sgt.hoot

OK, went into game with exceptions to XP firewall. I was able to join every mode TDM, Coop, Seige , RvA, there wa no campaign servers avaiable to try. So it's just a hosting thing for me. But as I say was able to host before the patch.

I will continue to satndby but it just seemed odd that UBI sent me that reply LOL

Edited by *FW*Casper

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will continue to satndby but it just seemed odd that UBI sent me that reply LOL

Ubi did not send you that reply. UBI's computerized "one solution fits all" automated reply machine sent you that. it has no idea what your real issues are related to. It is one of many ways companies save tons of money by faking real tech support with usually meaningless automated answer systems.

Edited by Sleepdoc

XRW is just now starting to test GRAW 2 and decide if we will all get it and setup a dedicated server once again. We had tested GRAW and decided against it, however it seems that GRIN is working with the community and GRAW 2 is looking pretty good. This thread got my attention because those of our team that have the game right now would prefer online missions for a while until we get back into the GR way of thinking and out of the World of Warcraft frame of mind. We are feeling even better about GRAW 2 after seeing GRIN interact and working to solve this issue :)

Anyway, my real question is why is there not a way to connect via direct IP like the original GR? Many of us hate GameSpy and would rather not deal with it. Direct IP is how XRW has had our GR server setup for many years and it was always full of people and way more dependable than using GameSpy. Forgive me if this is too far off topic or I've not found the proper thread for this topic, but is there anyway you can give us that direct IP connection option again GRIN? My guess is that without GameSpy this loading time might not be an issue anyway. There are ways to work around the lack direct IP connection limitations imposed by setting up a VPN with Hamachi or just setting up the game on a VPN server then creating a LAN server. However the possible security risks of allowing a networking virus to propagate or exploitation of data is much greater if things are done in this manner. Why not just give us the functionality we should of had to begin with? Most all other games have this option, but perhaps this is part of your anti piracy solution. If so I would rather go back to needing to have the CD in the drive to run the game.

How many 0thers would be interested in this feature? It's easy to put your server IP on your web site and only have friends that know about your site joining rather than anyone with a GameSpy account. For those that are thinking it, yes I know there is a password option, but that still doesn't solve other Gamespy related issues. Those that prefer GameSpy could still use that option if they wanted to, those that don't wouldn't be forced to use it. :wall:

Pls read Post #84 Page 06 before posting!

Pretty pls.

:)

Tinker, Thank you for your direction as I have been following this thread for a while. Since UBI sent me the response I wanted some feed back and since it related to this issue I posted it here. I was aware that Grin has been working the issue but I thought there may have been some benefit from getting some feed back from a very knowledgable community. BTW I did host a Co-op game tonight eventhough it was bit laggy It still worked. w00t

As for XRW_Magoo I Liked the idea of not going through Gamespy as time went by in the beginning it was useful but then it went down hill and our group went strictly to IP. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the choice of Gamespy. But I believe that option would be helpful.

Edited by *FW*Casper

If you are a clan and want to play a campaign coop I have the answer.....

Earlier in a post i said about Hamachi online LAN software. Well it works. My clan tried it last night and NO connection fails on any maps.... So if you just want to try it out within a clan then now you can :) All you need to do is open hamachi and create a network name and password, give the details to the other clan members and they can log in to the LAN network. Start the game and create a LAN coop campaign and away you go :)

I will post the download link here.

http://www.hamachi.cc/download/list.php

Sorry if we are not allowed to put links here if that is the rule.... Thought a few would find this helpful until the fix is out :)

Jack

Edited by ARUJackal

No worries Jack that's fine :thumbsup: hopefully the fix wont be too long but it's good that there is a "work around" until it's released :)

why is there not a way to connect via direct IP like the original GR? Many of us hate GameSpy and would rather not deal with it.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the choice of Gamespy. But I believe that option would be helpful.

Yes it is O/T , but just quickly the answer is ... that's what UBI wanted :( so a single gamespy browser solution is what we got stuck with, but that's something for another thread

[/Off-Topic]

If you are a clan and want to play a campaign coop I have the answer.....

Earlier in a post i said about Hamachi online LAN software. Well it works. My clan tried it last night and NO connection fails on any maps.... So if you just want to try it out within a clan then now you can :) All you need to do is open hamachi and create a network name and password, give the details to the other clan members and they can log in to the LAN network. Start the game and create a LAN coop campaign and away you go :)

I'm sorry Jack but this is innaccurate. You were lucky. I have been unable to host a campaign coop using the LAN section and hamachi. I get the same error that I get when running online campaign coop servers .....

It would appear that it works for you and that is great. I'm jealous. It does not work for me.

Sleepdoc

One of the clan members also got the same error (while using hamachi) but on the log in to gamespy screen after the error there is a "LAN only" selection box. Click this and try it again straight away. It worked for him this way and he could host again.

I hope this way helps.

Jack

(my fingers are crossed for you)

Edited by ARUJackal

Sleepdoc

One of the clan members also got the same error (while using hamachi) but on the log in to gamespy screen after the error there is a "LAN only" selection box. Click this and try it again straight away. It worked for him this way and he could host again.

I hope this way helps.

Jack

(my fingers are crossed for you)

Jack, You had my hopes up LOL I went in and installed the program, created my network, went into the game, clicked the Lan at the bottom of the Login screen, Set up the server. Then It ran the 1st mission so I tried misson 3 No GO . I got the same can not connect to server. So I went out and tried mission 5 same thing. Needless to say I uninstalled Hamachi GRRRR LOL I was so hoping that would work.

GRiN Kufa clearly said it has something to do with certain maps taking too long to load and "timing out". so this means what might work on one guys computer might not work on another. In other words, its intermittent and based on certain timings. So I never had any faith in poeples claims that it "worked for them".

Its just a crap shoot at this point.

I'll just enjoy other game modes and servers and wait for the fix. The fact that they know about it tells me that it has a high probability of getting a full-on fix in the next patch.

Strange things are afoot lol

As you say it is intermittent but this sequence seems to work

start a LAN campaign server via Hamachi

get the error

start it again

I really don't understand why either. I've been trying this out all day with different maps. 9 times I got the "happened upon unknown error" and had to select LAN only after the error and restart the server to get it to work.

Your right in saying it wont work if you click LAN only after starting the game. You have to get the error first then select it..

I cant get it to work at all on the game online campaign even after the error. Its just a daft bug LOL

Still hopefully the fix is on its way next week eh Grin? :thumbsup::D

Jack

I would like to elaborate a little about something that I mentioned in my post about VPN connections to your Network. I realize some people here probably have forgot more than I know and don't need to read this, but some also have no idea what they risking with VPN connections. VPN connections of any kind can cause security holes if not properly managed.

Anytime you create a VPN connection with others you are taking a chance that a network propagating virus or trojan will be spread to all computers connected to the VPN network. Secondly many of the files you have on your system may or may not be visable to others that are on the VPN network. I own a web hosting business and was recently hit by a network propagating virus. I can assure you it was serious business and really hard to isolate and fix especially while keeping it isolating it from the other not yet infected machines. The ammount of time it took to fix it and the downtime for our clients was way over the top. It would be hard to put the nightmare into words/ Other than saying that my wife and I had no Chrismas or New Years because we were still cleaning up the damage that began on Dec 12th.

My suggestion would be that if you really want to do it this way, make sure you have a way to restrict visitors to a read only connection to the game directory only. Having nver used Hamachi makes it impossible for me to offer much advise on it. However I do know and understand VPN concepts the way that Windows is supposed to handle that type of connection. Using the Windows VPN connections you can limit access via groups etc and can either deny or allow a group to read only or read/write access to areas of you hard drive. Anytime they can write anywhere on your hard drive you are opening up Pandora's box. I've studied Hamachi for a brief period of time via internet searches and haven't seen this issue being addresses in anything I've read so far. Also if you're using the free version of the software you are really limiting your options. At least with the paid versions you have some controls that will at least allow you to revoke a persons access if you find they are becoming a problem. Also the free version is limited to only 16 concurent connections at one time and 64 accounts. That limitation is not enough for our team and nowhere near enough for the ammount of friends we have that will be playing with us.

GRIN, we want our direct IP server connection back! If this is out of the question please let a GRIN employee state why this is not an option. If this is not possible and GRIN is not considering adding this functionality, perhaps XRW with at least 80 + active members and many friends may be still waiting for something that will better suit our needs. As our guild leader I am reluctant to recomend anything that is going to cause as much frustration as it will fun for our people. We can just as easily just go back to playing BF 2142 and WoW until we do get something else we can play, host (without GameSpy) and enjoy. I can tell you right now, none of us appreciate the GameSpy hassles that are being forced on us at this time. If GRIN has a logical reason and that is all we get I will try hosting a server through GameSpy, but if it keeps crashing and people are having issues with accounts etc, it will be only a very brief try. I am getting way to old to spend my time helping people get their game working and getting their GameSpy account setup or even working again. Direct IP is the only way to play, less excess broadcast traffic overhead, not dependant on a third party and more granular control over who gets into or removed from your server. With a direct connect server I can get rid of the cheaters, including their subnet of IP addresses, their ISP, and/or even the country they connect from if I really wanted to and allow only our friends that we approve.

well whynot just re-release patch 1.03 exept with 1.02 missions?

Because there is nothing wrong with the mission, they have not been changed. The coders are working on the problem, play the other modes for now. A fix is in the works as Grin_Kufa stated a few days ago.

GRIN, we want our direct IP server connection back! If this is out of the question please let a GRIN employee state why this is not an option.
I suggest asking UBI for the feature, they still own the game and they handle the contracts, with GameSpy for example.

I suggest asking UBI for the feature, they still own the game and they handle the contracts, with GameSpy for example.

Isnt this obvious everyone? Why do people incessantly request this? I mean i wish i had the feature as well, but isnt it obvious that the relationship with Gamespy and the need for strong anti piracy checking through that system will likely never release this?

If you want to do this, get your server setup on Hamachi and tell freinds you trust how to connect to that "IP". Becuase i dont see gamespy's business model, or Ubisofts contractual relationships with them, changing anytime soon.

Isnt this obvious everyone? Why do people incessantly request this? I mean i wish i had the feature as well, but isnt it obvious that the relationship with Gamespy and the need for strong anti piracy checking through that system will likely never release this?

If you want to do this, get your server setup on Hamachi and tell freinds you trust how to connect to that "IP". Becuase i dont see gamespy's business model, or Ubisofts contractual relationships with them, changing anytime soon.

Sleepdoc, I think this should be seperate thread. It will bring up alot of good discussion and may open peoples eyes to how many of us are out there that would like to have this feature. To answer your question in short the ability to connect by IP is great thats why people are asking for it. I'd rather put the CD in everytime and have the ability to connect by IP then the [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] start up.

On the topic of this thread, last night I went in and did a defrag on my HD and then went in and started up and online campign server. It worked, I went through a couple of campaigns that were ones that people have been not be able to host. Anyway, In the process I died so I hit quit to menu so I could get my friends on to play. Well, that ended that hope it would not work after that. Which makes me think that the files for the maps when defragged are close enough together for load up before time out. However, once those files are accessed it fragments just enough to cause a problem. Just a thought.

Here is what I have found when running a on-line Campaign mission coops with the "cannot establish connection".

ONLY 5 of the 10 Missions load properly. For me they are Missions # 7-9-1-2-10. ALL of the other remaining missions I get the "can not establish connection" . I can launch the campaign coops 90% of the time, which seems reasonable. But, only with the missions in the following order = 7-9-1-2-10. I am deleting the other 5 missions from rotation until the issue is really fixed. I have yet to crash as a server with the 5 missions that load ok.

I still see a ton of crashes during the playing of the missions for the other players. For whatever reason. But, the problem I have is that when they try to re-join, they can not see my server on the server list. IF I close out GRAW2 completely and restart, then the server is listed and they are able to join again. But only if I restart the entire game :(

I guess the "cannt see my server...." is another bug thread that I sure has been started by someone.

Those having troubles loading Campaign Coops, start off with mission 7. (hacienda). That seems to work. Good luck! :-)

GRIN, we want our direct IP server connection back! If this is out of the question please let a GRIN employee state why this is not an option.

The last several times I've waited for an official response from the UBI forum, it never came. I suppose I could give this one more shot and see if anything has changed. However my quess it that they may be more inclined to listen to GRIN saying people are requesting this rather than us end users. About the contractual issues, I know of several games that use both direct IP & GameSpy. I find it hard to believe this would be a contractual issue rather than just a Anti Piracy precaution.

Sleepdoc, using Hamachi is not about just people you trust. Anyone can get a networking virus without knowing it. I got one through a Several layers of Firewall and AV. Hamachi VPN is just not a safe way to connect for gaming no matter how you slice it.

One of my fellow FW members hosted a Co-op Campaign server today (no Hamachi) it was just the two of us. When the server came up on the menu there was no info just a blank for the name, 0 players and no ping I checked the server info and that's how I located it. We ran campaigns 1-5 just fine then took a break. It seems to run fine on his system. LOL he's got a single core AMD older but it does the trick. Guess older is better sometimes :D

Edited by *FW*Casper

We were having the same problem as Casper was stating.

campaign runs with no problem on my friends system, but it does not show up in server browser. :hmm:

He got Duel core BTW, i got the old crap. w00t

I guess it will be an issue after the main problem is fixed, maybe it will solve both problems. w00t

We were having the same problem as Casper was stating.

campaign runs with no problem on my friends system, but it does not show up in server browser. :hmm:

He got Duel core BTW, i got the old crap. w00t

I guess it will be an issue after the main problem is fixed, maybe it will solve both problems. w00t

I guess it depends on the day, Phase of the moon, tides, and any other variable that can be established. Because We ran on his computer then took a break came back and it wouldn't work. So I tried got to the second mission extraction point and I got in the chopper just fine. But my 2 friends told me I got in 200 feet above the ground and they could not get in. So I got out, They told me I dropped from the chopper to ground and walked away. LOL I then restarted the mission but guess what? It would not connect :wall:

I guess it depends on the day, Phase of the moon, tides, and any other variable that can be established. Because We ran on his computer then took a break came back and it wouldn't work. So I tried got to the second mission extraction point and I got in the chopper just fine. But my 2 friends told me I got in 200 feet above the ground and they could not get in. So I got out, They told me I dropped from the chopper to ground and walked away. LOL I then restarted the mission but guess what? It would not connect :wall:

I had this the other day. first the chopper for me was raising slowly, the one guy who was in did not see that and got out, it droped and he was fine we all managed to get in and move on. Next mission same thing except this time The chopper stayed on the ground for me and went up on someone else. Thats a messed bug if I ever saw one