Campaign coop server "cannot establish connection"

Now isn't that something? A guy comes in here basically saying there is no real problem, then a guy from GRIN acknowledges that there is one.

Too funny if you ask me.

Even more, according to Colin it's not a real problem unless it affects all players. Ooops, I guess it does now that GRIN found it.

Rav :ph34r:

:wall::wall::wall::rolleyes:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised, an update: we know what the problem is, know how to fix it, working on it :)

I wont give too many technical details, but to simplify it's a timing problem when the map takes too long to load.

thats an problem we had on a lan-coop-session with 2 notebooks and 2 desktop-pcs. every time a notebook-user wanted to join a desktop-system-hosted game, he would get an "cannot establish connection"-error. when a notebook-user hosted a game everyone could join, no problem.

i assume, that since notebook-hdds (4200rpm) do load slower than desktop-hdds (7200rpm), they get a time out-error on desktop-pc-hoted games. the other way round the desktop-pcs already "waited" for the notebook-users to load the map. in addition to that: as a host you obviously do not have a connection-timer which can exceed a certain connection-time-limit...

Aha

A connection timeout issue.... Is there a quick fix? A line of code in an ini or xml file we can edit to increase the timeout period? Or is it out of our hands to change?

Jack

:blink:

As promised, an update: we know what the problem is, know how to fix it, working on it :)

I wont give too many technical details, but to simplify it's a timing problem when the map takes too long to load.

:D

lol Sorry Tinker I was wondering out loud again.....

In some other games they have coding that allows you to set (in seconds) how long the game lets you take to connect to the server. So you can set it to 120 seconds instead of 60 seconds for slower connections for example... This lets players with slower connections load up the map etc and join, otherwise it would kick then after the 60 sec's as they haven't finish loading...

"I wont give too many technical details, but to simplify it's a timing problem when the map takes too long to load."

Anyway sounded like the same so wondered if there was a setting or not we could alter....

Thanks Grin for finding and working on it :) good to see you all jumping on a problem so quick :)

Jack

If I recally correctly they had a similar problem with timing on the AC giving kicks and it was related to the speed of the checks and slower rigs were getting the boot. They got that sorted so I'm pretty confident that they will do the same here.

Good luck GRIN_kufa and thanks for the heads up. We're looking forward to the next patch.

Now isn't that something? A guy comes in here basically saying there is no real problem, then a guy from GRIN acknowledges that there is one.

Too funny if you ask me.

Even more, according to Colin it's not a real problem unless it affects all players. Ooops, I guess it does now that GRIN found it.

Were you not hugged enough as a child? Grow up. Acting like a baby isn't going to get the issue solved any faster.

Too funny if you ask me.

Were you not hugged enough as a child? Grow up. Acting like a baby isn't going to get the issue solved any faster.

Dont take the bait bro Im not. :D

Too funny if you ask me.

Golly, you’re right Dporter. (sniff) I wish we had another forum so you can psychoanalyze me some more. (sniff)

:notworthy:

It’s just hard, ya know? (sniff) Not to be as smart and all knowing as those who just know so much (sniff) and can tell others they are wrong (sniff) then finally someone tells those who were thought to be wrong that they were right. I mean (sniff) what happens to the ones that were so right in the first place? (sniff) I feel so sorry for them (sniff) like I can relate, you know?

:(

It’s just not right. It’s just…

… Oh look CANDY! w00t

Ok they know the problem thats GREAT, do you have any idea on how long until we see a fix for the issue ??? I would love to see one by the weekend as I want to try this game with my gaming group

Hawk I understand I was just getting to enjoy some of the maps. But I would rather have them take the time to correct it right then put someting out that may have a new bug.

............. But I would rather have them take the time to correct it right then put someting out that may have a new bug.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner. :thumbsup:

Patience everyone. Make bug reports and suggest better ideas. Even disucss why ideas and design choices are less fun or less useful. but try to keep it academic and not so emotional. Especailly when those emotions lead you to just genreally derail the willingness of the developers to interact with us. I like keeping them engaged. they learn and we learn. and we standa greater chance for them to actually read the bug reports and ideas if they don't have to drudge through the 1 millionth "I hate you for making a bug" posts. Those are a collosal waste of digitial space and don't belong in these forums. that is what UBI's forums are for.

............. But I would rather have them take the time to correct it right then put someting out that may have a new bug.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Patience everyone. Make bug reports and suggest better ideas. Even disucss why ideas and design choices are less fun or less useful. but try to keep it academic and not so emotional. Especailly when those emotions lead you to just genreally derail the willingness of the developers to interact with us. I like keeping them engaged. they learn and we learn. and we standa greater chance for them to actually read the bug reports and ideas if they don't have to drudge through the 1 millionth "I hate you for making a bug" posts. Those are a collosal waste of digitial space and don't belong in these forums. that is what UBI's forums are for.

Good post with one exception dont send them to me :P

Ok they know the problem thats GREAT, do you have any idea on how long until we see a fix for the issue ??? I would love to see one by the weekend as I want to try this game with my gaming group

Hawk I understand I was just getting to enjoy some of the maps. But I would rather have them take the time to correct it right then put someting out that may have a new bug.

O i want it done right to, but hey no harm is asking if they have a idea of how long it will take. Since they have a idea of what the issue is now, then you could get a estimate to when you expect it to be completed. I am a computer person myself (programmer and systems analyst) so ya once you figure the problem out which is the hardest part and one you can never estimate a time on then its to fixing and testing and that you can generally get a feel or idea on length of time for a fix. Thats all I was looking for and hey can always hope its ready for the weekend :rocky:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

OK don't know if this ding, ding ,ding was good or bad LOL. However, as I said from the begining of my posts in this thread we needed to keep a focus on the issue. Pokin each other in the eye with sharp sticks doesn't help. I have been through a few of the buggy issues with other games and it takes time. I even went through a video card issue sending 7 back on RMA before the company got it right so yes the key is patience. Soon enough we will be back to shootin each other. Some of the names I see here I recognize from the GR days. So you waited this long a while longer won't hurt.

Could some one comment on this please this is a reply I got from UBI tech support on the connecting to server problem.

This problem is only caused by having one or more of the required ports

blocked to your system. If you are using McAfee Internet Security,

please note that you will have to uninstall that program before the game

will allow you to connect. If you have a router or DSL modem, please

contact the manufacturer of that device to make sure that you have

updated the firmware for it correctly as well as to check to make sure that

the required ports are open. Unfortunately, the only other

reccomendation that we could make for you would be to contact your ISP for

additional troubleshooting.

I made an exception in the fire wall for Graw 2 and had it working before the patch it sounds as though they want you take down XP firewall completly and open up all the port on the list won't that make you vulnerable? Thanks

Could some one comment on this please this is a reply I got from UBI tech support on the connecting to server problem.

This problem is only caused by having one or more of the required ports

blocked to your system. If you are using McAfee Internet Security,

please note that you will have to uninstall that program before the game

will allow you to connect. If you have a router or DSL modem, please

contact the manufacturer of that device to make sure that you have

updated the firmware for it correctly as well as to check to make sure that

the required ports are open. Unfortunately, the only other

reccomendation that we could make for you would be to contact your ISP for

additional troubleshooting.

I made an exception in the fire wall for Graw 2 and had it working before the patch it sounds as though they want you take down XP firewall completly and open up all the port on the list won't that make you vulnerable? Thanks

That reply is s standard reply based on buzz words in your question. it may be that a human never even looked at your original request. It just parsed it using a cmputer and sent that reply.

No one wants you to open all the ports on your XP firewall, nor is it necessary.

You likely have 2 firewalls. One is your windows XP firewall. the other one is built into your router (most people have a router these days .... do you? and if so, which brand and model #)

Now in my case, i am on comcast. I have my GRAW2 exceptions in the XP firewall checked (do your have check marks next to them in your exception list?). but my hardware firewall built into my router did not need any adjustement for joining servers.

If youa re trying to join coop servers, then all bets are off becuase this is part of the bug we are talking about here. especially if they are non dedicated coop servers. if you are failing to join TDM servers and dedicated coop servers, then we need to look deeper.

Do this test real qiuck. (and i mean only real qiuck). make sure your exceptions are checked. try to join a TDM server. note its exact name. if you fail, then turn off your Windows XP fireweall entirely and try THE EXACT SAME SERVER again. if you get connected, exit and turn your windows firwall back on and come tell us all here. if you do not connect, also turn your firewall back on, but now you know it is not your WINDOWS FIREWALL that is causing the problem.

report back to us. and tell us your ISP, your type of connection (DSL, cable etc) and your routers maker and model #.

Sleepdoc thanks for the quick reply. I don't use a router I use a modem . I havw Qwest as my ISP. I never had problems connecting to servers. However, I will go into the game and try it. My issue was hosting a serverno matter which mode I tried to host in AFTER the patch it stated I could not connect to the server. I'm going to try a couple of more things and get back to you. I do hvae the exceptions checked in my XP firewall.

PS no firewall up on the modem I checked that in advanced set up

Edited by *FW*Casper

Sleepdoc thanks for the quick reply. I don't use a router I use a modem . I havw Qwest as my ISP. I never had problems connecting to servers. However, I will go into the game and try it. My issue was hosting a serverno matter which mode I tried to host in AFTER the patch it stated I could not connect to the server. I'm going to try a couple of more things and get back to you. I do hvae the exceptions checked in my XP firewall.

PS no firewall up on the modem I checked that in advanced set up

Oops. I misunderstood. All you are saying then is that when YOU TRY TO SERVE, you are getting the "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER" problem. Of course, that is what this entire post is about. GRiN has clearly indentified the bug and says they know what cuases it and they are working on it. So we all have to wait.

it is not clear why the bug is worse for some people that for others, but it does appear to be this way. Stand by for their next patch. until then you probably cannot host.

Edited by Sleepdoc