Next GR:AW 2 Patch - Monday

Out of interest, can i ask were this happens? I have yet to be fired upon from an AI that i could not see first.

It a bit rare as it only happens if the distances are exactly on the edge. The weapon range is the same as the draw distance, but the weapon is in front of the enemy center point so they don't draw until the player gets about 20-30 cm further ahead when the enemy can shoot the player. So it happens when you move very very slow, as that distance is covered quite fast even while crawling. It also required you not to be in stealth or not to already have your location known by being seen recently. So stealth counters this often.

Now that I think about it, it could be "fixed" on each map with the enemy detection variables you've already stumbled upon. Just set them down to about 14700 at the longest range should possible make it better. I'm saying "fixed" as it only works if no enemy already knows where the player is, or he will have alerted the others close by. But even on open field a lonely enemy will not be able to detect the player if until he's 2 meters closer then the drawing distance.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, can i ask were this happens? I have yet to be fired upon from an AI that i could not see or shoot first.

<_<

Good example is the start of the coop serria map. The sniper in the tower will start firing on you as you step on the bridge. He will still not be drawn. Then once he has spawned, he will continue to fire on you eventhough he is out of draw distance. I have see this a few time on the other maps and in SP once tangos are spawned.

Also It's not a matter of moving slow. Or being just out of range of the weapon either. They will tag you out of draw distance. Load up Sierra and check it out. There is another tango on a hill top to the left of the bridge who will do the same.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Out of interest, can i ask were this happens? I have yet to be fired upon from an AI that i could not see first.

It a bit rare as it only happens if the distances are exactly on the edge. The weapon range is the same as the draw distance, but the weapon is in front of the enemy center point so they don't draw until the player gets about 20-30 cm further ahead when the enemy can shoot the player. So it happens when you move very very slow, as that distance is covered quite fast even while crawling. It also required you not to be in stealth or not to already have your location known by being seen recently. So stealth counters this often.

Now that I think about it, it could be "fixed" on each map with the enemy detection variables you've already stumbled upon. Just set them down to about 14700 at the longest range should possible make it better. I'm saying "fixed" as it only works if no enemy already knows where the player is, or he will have alerted the others close by. But even on open field a lonely enemy will not be able to detect the player if until he's 2 meters closer then the drawing distance.

I`ve checked this in mission, seems to be a great way to handle the issue. Will have to run more tests.

:thumbsup:

Great job GRINNers......hands_clapping_lg_clr.gifgrinnerscob.gif

I need some clarification on an issue. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 as in my specs below. In the original GRAW the game auto detected my Audigy 2 and set EAX on. In GRAW2 however it auto detects Generic Hardware with EAX off. When I open the hardware selection tab in sound it only lets me pick either Generic Hardware or Generic Software. I have been playing just fine with Generic Hardware with no EAX, but I would like the sound of GRAW2 to at least sound as good as it did in the original GRAW. Is this going to be addressed in the patch? Why can't the game detect my Audigy 2?

Have an Audigy 2 ZS also but I can only select 'generic software'. My sound in arroyo is almost none existant. I can't hear my footsteps (except in spawn) and once I leave spawn they disappear and other players footsteps come and go., sometimes I hear them and sometimes I don't. The MP demo recongized my soundcard but the SP Demo and Retail do not. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling my sound drivers but to no avail.

Anyways, patch looks great and looking forward to it.

Me too BOTA..... running Vista 32, don't know if the OS is the Issue!! :wacko:

Remember... vista has NO EAX. Instead it uses Open AL. Check creatives website. I think they added OpenAl support to the Audigy 2 and might be why there is mixed feelings of why it works. Also download the latest open AL 1.1

If you need more help with it post it in tech support and we'll link you.

ROCO, I solved one my teammates issues with just that. We wasn't getting the sounds right and I suggested the OpenAL wrapper and it worked.

my problem with drawing distance is not that I can't shoot someone from far away but that I can't see him.

For example, if you are defending on a siege map, and you watch the field in front of you which ends at the map boundings, you THINK you would see someone passing this field, but if he is further away than 150m, you would NOT see him. He passes and gets in the zone; you loose... :nono:

If there was fog, or you couldn't see the map boundaries, then I wouldn't think I could have seen him and there wasn't a problem, BUT as the view SEEMS to be clear and infinite(to the map boundary) you HAVE a problem, especially in a clan match with an organized defense. :yes:

The low end system balancing argument doesn't count for me, BF2 and many other MP games have this option :angry:

Edited by xtraclip

The sniper in the tower will start firing on you as you step on the bridge. He will still not be drawn. Then once he has spawned, he will continue to fire on you eventhough he is out of draw distance.

One of ours said that often they would fire at muzzle flash, even if they didn't see the tango. Sounds like GRIN did a good job to me.

The sniper in the tower will start firing on you as you step on the bridge. He will still not be drawn. Then once he has spawned, he will continue to fire on you eventhough he is out of draw distance.

One of ours said that often they would fire at muzzle flash, even if they didn't see the tango. Sounds like GRIN did a good job to me.

SuckA** :ph34r:

The draw distance is fine. If you can't get a kill w/in the draw distance we don't need any of you n00bs camping it up with a sniper rifle taking pot shots.

Get in the game.

no it's not fine. kinda stupid when you look outside of the draw distance, you can see the buildings but no bodies. I cansee a building and only my comrades diamond..yes that's a problem.

that only applies when the enemy are in bushes hidden. this is a tower out in the open. half of the tower hasn't been drawn on screen when he fires on us. that's NOT good Rugg. i understand the point you are trying to make, but in real life, the eye can see further than what distance of view Grin has given us.

For me to support Papa oughta tell you guys something ......

:)

But getting shot at by people outside the clip zone, only to see their muzzle and not their body, and yet be able to see the objects and buildings and terrain behind them is kind of silly. It has never been a game killer for me like it is for Papa, but it is most certainly real, frequent, and it could have been done better. Especially in coop. it happens in coop alot.

I'll bet dollars to dimes their QA guys mentioned it too. Even before we did. Even in GRAW1. It was a design decision though. And possibly one that got pretty hard coded, away from prying hands.

Ce la vie .... Wolfs comments seemed clear. They have bigger fish to fry. Its not my pet bug. But it is real and has a real impact on play from time to time that can be a bit disheartening.

Edited by Sleepdoc

no it's not fine. kinda stupid when you look outside of the draw distance, you can see the buildings but no bodies. I cansee a building and only my comrades diamond..yes that's a problem.

Details on teh buildings are hazier. Also, at that distance a body would fade at distance because of the camoflage.

The only problem as from my experience (at least with GRAW 1, haven't tried modding it in GRAW 2) was that no weapon except the M99 would fire past 150m and the AI wouldn't fire at you unless you were within 150m. Fix both of those issues and it's easily modded.

The only problem as from my experience (at least with GRAW 1, haven't tried modding it in GRAW 2) was that no weapon except the M99 would fire past 150m and the AI wouldn't fire at you unless you were within 150m. Fix both of those issues and it's easily modded.

This is also a reason why the enemy is not drawn earlier. They are drawn when you can kill them. We had them draw longer away during testing for a while, but it was worse as you waisted loads of ammo on enemies you can't kill.

@All

But as said, lowering their detection range should at least no have them firing before they are drawn either. I'll look at this next week.

drevil.jpg

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

MONDAY MONDA MONDAY! Can't wait....GJ.

OMG!!!LOL HAHAHAHh Nicely done Viper. :lol::lolup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Whow, nice timing good undertitles.....do some more :thumbsup:

Details on teh buildings are hazier. Also, at that distance a body would fade at distance because of the camoflage.

with a sniperrifle? hell no. I'm looking at the building, example calavera map and I'm looking through the scope from about exact center of the map and the shanty fencing and barrels just show up in to view. my eye would see that even(of through my scope. the calavera map also is th ebest example for me to explain this bcz my teammates run in front of the openings on the high walkway on the far east on calavera and when they DO run into the open area, all I see is their diamond. now I know my actual eye sight would show anybody running across in the open. but impossible. I thought dring the beta days Grin addressed this but after a very short time, I realised they only MAYBE enhanced it so slightly. you gotta know rugg, when I shot m249's, m60's or even 50 cal, I could see the targets well upto 600+ with ironsights. on a range yes but, still the gunner can see quite well alot more than the 150m's in GRAW2. we are only asking out to 250 to 300 meters. which would be a more realistic option.

There is no custom bundle support before the upcoming patch, and as such there is no auto download before the patch.

So your saying after the patch all will be well in Grawville? Custom Bundles, and auto downloads? All is good.I think. Im starting to see some crackers in that Tomato soup.Its almost like a puree now.

And Papa,It aint happing.Grin already said most peeps computers cant handle it.I agree with you totally on the draw distance.But,people arent spending the bucks they used to on upgrades. Ive seen some objects not drawn and peeps show up out of know were from behind these objects that arent there.Makes it feel cheesey.Most people that post on this web site have top notch pcs.Start yelling about stuff they can fix.Like the cludderd screen.Move the chat box.Put some simple sliders in for the dang HUD tranpariencies not a xml tweek.Thats just unfair for the ######. I keep hereing grinners talk about the MK46 being a supression weapon.Fix it.its got a tighter patern than what there showing in the game.Got to the range,hang a big peice of white paper at 25 m,50 m 100 m,ect and look at it.heavley armored and a MP 5 (9 mm) takes you out quicker.No.

Edited by The Blueberry

There is no custom bundle support before the upcoming patch, and as such there is no auto download before the patch.

So your saying after the patch all will be well in Grawville? Custom Bundles, and auto downloads?

Custom maps will auto download. I don't know about custom mods.

@All

But as said, lowering their detection range should at least no have them firing before they are drawn either. I'll look at this next week.

:thumbsup: Would it be possible to extend the transition (fade in/fade out) distance by a couple of meters?...right now it occurs within 1 meter which is what makes it so obvious.

Also what's the reason the target will display approx. 10° off axis (peripheral) but then as you turn in to face the target it disappears until you take a step forward and close the range?

Do you use Post effects on high?
Yep. Everything on high...I even forced texture_quality_props_bump to high, for all the good it did. Now you don't see them, now you do.

The transition is too abrupt.

Also what's the reason the target will display approx. 10° off axis (peripheral) but then as you turn in to face the target it disappears until you take a step forward and close the range?

This is common in games, far more common then you know probably. It's because the clipping plane is not curved. It's a straight plane 150 meters in front of the player. Extending that plane to the sides and then following a point from the center in front of the player then going right or left makes the distance between the player and the point longer then 150 meters, and as such you see longer gradually longer towards the edged of the screen.

This is common in games, far more common then you know probably. It's because the clipping plane is not curved. It's a straight plane 150 meters in front of the player. Extending that plane to the sides and then following a point from the center in front of the player then going right or left makes the distance between the player and the point longer then 150 meters, and as such you see longer gradually longer towards the edged of the screen.

so please raise drawing distance before someone asks for a curved clipping plane :thumbsup: