graw2 with nvidia 16x.xx series

sb85

i am not quite certain if this is a widespread issue, but any new whql driver issued by nvidia (162.22 currently) is incompatible with graw2. every other game seems to be functioning properly and offers smoother gameplay. this morning microsoft also issued the 162.22 as an official driver dwld, so could you kindly look into the matter and contact nvidia as to why the nv driver keeps crashing?

The only problem I have seen or heard about for the 162.22 drivers is that there are some shadow problems in GRAW2. My shadows only rendered within like 5m and anything past that there was no shadows. I let windows update my drivers after I rolled back to the 162.18 drivers and now just turned shadows off. Got about a 20 fps frame boost out of it though.

i am not quite certain if this is a widespread issue, but any new whql driver issued by nvidia (162.22 currently) is incompatible with graw2. every other game seems to be functioning properly and offers smoother gameplay. this morning microsoft also issued the 162.22 as an official driver dwld, so could you kindly look into the matter and contact nvidia as to why the nv driver keeps crashing?

I had this same problem with drivers 162.22 ..i went back to the older drivers till they figure this problem out

CPU: AMD AM2 Dual Core 5400+

Memory: 1 gig

Video: XFX nvidia 7900 gs 256mb SLI ready (1600 memory speed). (600 CPU speed)

Harddrive: W/D 500 gig 3.0 sata 2

Sound Card: X-fi extreme gamer

Monitor: 19" realsync

<rant_mode=1>

I am getting so sick of this... the ONLY Nvidia drivers I have found that will allow me to play GRAW or GRAW2 for any length of time is version 84.40. Any other version Nvidia driver, up to and including the latest 16x.xx, all result in the game DTD'ing... or in extreme cases I get a lovely BSD to play with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 12 16:59:52 2007

Crash in application version: 30292.2673

Could not load geometry because IDirect3D9::CreateVertexBuffer failed.

This device does not support the queried technique.

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 12 17:28:16 2007

Crash in application version: 30292.2673

Could not load geometry because IDirect3D9::CreateVertexBuffer failed.

This device does not support the queried technique.

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

(~ 50 more of those exact errors over-populate my crashlog.txt)

What bugs me is that I can use those ancient 84.40 drivers and play GRAW or GRAW2 without any trouble. But not with any newer drivers. Every GRAW2 session with 9x or 16x series driver will crash within ten minutes, single player or multi-player.

Yes I have DirectX 9.0c, with DXDIAG showing no errors or problems with DirectX. I chose to download the version of DX I use directly from Microsoft instead of having the game install it. Why should a game be allowed -or need- to install core system files?? If the game needs altered versions of those files, they should be part of the game itself.

I've spent the better part of the entire day un-installing, cleaning, then re-installing various video drivers, trying to find a more modern set that will work with either GRAW game. I've tried WHQL certified, I've tried various betas, I've tried third-party hacked drivers. I've tried umpteen different NVidia reference drivers.

At this point, all I can do is look to the heavens and scream *W-T-F!!* (okay... decaf for the rest of the day)

Yeah, I know a patch is due out soon... with any luck it will allow me to play the game with a standard, modern, set of NVidia reference drivers. I didn't see any reference to a fix for these video issues in the patch release notes however... just a cryptic "- Fixed bugs and occasional crashes." Mind telling us which?

Somebody is bound to ask "Well, if you found a driver that works, stick with it." Sorry, but when I can use more modern drivers for *all* the rest of my computing/gaming needs and enjoy the benefits those newer drivers offer, why should I hobble myself by using old, out-dated drivers because of one game that refuses to work correctly?

"Armed Assault" is looking like a better game choice with each passing day.

I have enjoyed playing the GRAW series ... when they work. But I'm beginning to think it's a waste of time and money to keep beating this dead horse.

My video card: NVidia GF 7900 GS, 256mb, PCIe

Other system specs:

Intel Core2Duo E6400

2gb RAM

Win XP SP2

Creative Labs X-Fi

20" Widescreen LCD

<rant_mode=0>

well nvidia should be able to reproduce this problem easily, all they need is a 16x.xx driver and a 7-series card...

so far only the 158.45's are working smoothly, sadly the 16x.xx makes my other games run smoother but prevents me from playing graw2...and thats something i cannot live with :P

I have 2 7800 GTX-512's in SLI and im running the 6.14.10.9424 version with no problems at all with all settings on max, maybe give that a try ?

I already know that 94.24 will work with GRAW 2 because I used to have 94.24 when I first got GRAW 2. The thing is GRAW 2 is the only game I have that crashes because 162.xx

umm this is more of a VISTA oriented issue, and i think the 94.xx drivers are XP based...

Ummm, no you are wrong. The 162.18 drivers for XP cause corrupt graphics in GRAW 2 with a 7800 card like mine. The 162.22 drivers for Vista cause shadows not to work properly. As you can see, it is an XP and Vista problem.

Edited by Demanufakture

umm this is more of a VISTA oriented issue, and i think the 94.xx drivers are XP based...

Ummm, no you are wrong. The 162.18 drivers for XP cause corrupt graphics in GRAW 2 with a 7800 card like mine. The 162.22 drivers for Vista cause shadows not to work properly. As you can see, it is an XP and Vista problem.

Yes, this is true. Both XP and VISTA users have to have shadows turned off because of the 16.xx drivers. And I just confirmed with my friend, he installed the new GRAW2 1.03 patch, turned on shadows and the game still crashes causing his computer to reboot.

woha, did not know that. shadow problems are the least of my concern, the entire game windows keeps flashing and vista displays that the nv driver has crashed, restarts the game, crashes,restarts,crashes,...

Well have you tried turning off dynamic shadows? Turn it off and I can almost garauntee that GRAW2 will stop crashing especially after a loading a mission.

• 4 months later...

Just to update my previous post from back in August '07. I now have an eVGA Nvidia 8800 Gt w/512mb, using the 169.21 drivers. I have the same issues as ~5 months ago. Constant "create_vertex_buffer : Failed" errors.

Doesn't seem to matter if shadows are turned on or off... it might take a little longer for the game to crash is all.

Can't believe I'm still playing this... any other POS game that crashes this often I'd have thrown out long ago.

But for all drivers past 169.17 , forcing AA in game profiles is broken.

It's been my understanding that you don't want to use, or especially force, anti-aliasing when playing GRAW or GRAW:2 in any case. But if these newer drivers won't allow forcing AA *off*... :wall:

In GRAW yes, for those who only play GRAW and dont force AA for other games. Then that part of it wont make a difference.

However if you do play other games, where you force AA in profiles. It will not work on drivers newer then 169.17

But....

You can force AA globally, though thats not the best since you may want different settings for different games. Also Im not sure that if you force globally, you can disable it in profiles for games like GRAW, where forced AA is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...