GR:AW2 Server IP/Name Logging

Beaver

Hopefully there will be no need for the following workaround to record PlayerNames to IP's on your GRAW2 servers once the GRIN guys have fully fixed the dedicated server files and added in some logging functions of their own to record joining player names, ip's & cd key hashes, along with any screenshot info we end up taking. :D

Those who ran old GR servers will be familiar with the method of using ngrep & winpcap to capture specific packets on a specific port and output.

I've set up a seperate forum on the TuG Team site, in which I'll be posting later today with full details on the required programs needed, and how to set everything up.

GR:AW2 IP/Name Logging Discussion Forum @ tugteam.com

Obviously you will need full remote access to your server to set this up, so those renting hosted servers with just FTP/Control Panel access wont be able to set it up, unless they talk nicely with their GSP.

Example format of the processed data:

#

U 2007/08/05 12:12:31.169426 xx.xx.xx.xx:16250 -> 193.93.46.63:16250

o..Y........TuG.Beaver..30292.2673

We have date/time & client server IP, along with the player name.

I've obscured my own client IP, the 2nd IP = server

Edited by Beaver

The 3rd & final part is now online at the TuG Forums.

I'm also working on the next part of the logging to see if I can also pull out the players CD key HASH that is used when banning.

This would allow retro-active banning of a player using their Name/IP/Key Hash just by editing the bans XML. :D

The 3rd & final part is now online at the TuG Forums.

I'm also working on the next part of the logging to see if I can also pull out the players CD key HASH that is used when banning.

This would allow retro-active banning of a player using their Name/IP/Key Hash just by editing the bans XML. :D

Your pushing it out there Beaver. :D Nice work.

Tinker

Question though... will the ban take live or will you have to restart the server for it to take effect.

The bans file is only read when graw2_dedicated starts, so once you'd added a ban manually, you'd have to restart for it to take effect I believe.