New GRAW2 Classes

What XMLs do we need to edit in order to change the draw distance Wolf?

You don't have access to all the files needed to be changed. It's probably a fifty to a hundred XML files and a couple of encoded dsf files.

FRAPS itself probably cuts a few FPS as well. FRAPS affects the game more and more the lower the FPS is, as it's not a well coded software I'm afraid.

But my guess was that it would cut the FPS in about half on larger maps for the average hardware. Still, it's what's been asked for by the community and part of it was to show how it would work with draw distance like this. And as said before, the system requirements will go up some... it didn't cut it in half on the quick tests I did with my quad core with 8800GTX, and I still stayed about 30FPS on mission 9 (which I think is one of the heaviest when it comes to draw distance).

I could lower it to 200m (which is not much longer then the original 150m) or 250m, but as this is mainly a fix for MP where the maps are about 300m I'd like to see it tested in TvT before I lower it. 200m would probably lower the frame rate about 1/3 and 250m would lower it about 2/3. So 250m would be the next step as it would still cover most of the MP maps.

I'm done with the fixes I was doing right now, besides the team death thing for SP, so I'll do some more FPS testing this weekend and we'll see how that turns out.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could lower it to 200m (which is not much longer then the original 150m) or 250m, but as this is mainly a fix for MP where the maps are about 300m I'd like to see it tested in TvT before I lower it. 200m would probably lower the frame rate about 1/3 and 250m would lower it about 2/3. So 250m would be the next step as it would still cover most of the MP maps.

In that case, can I ask that you separate the draw-distance changes into a separate mod or release a version of your mod without the draw distance changes so it is playable in SP?

Right now that is not an option. Everything will be in one pack as to avoid the problem of combining the mods, and as such they are developed in the same files and can't easily be separated anymore. But it still has to be balanced and the distance is not set yet.

ALPHA 2 will be ready soon. I've made the changes so ghosts actually die in SP campaign now. :D

When the mod is done, there may be time to try and break out the draw distance stuff. After the new map is done.

1.5.2 ALPHA is coming today!

It will be a bit bigger this time... about a 44Mb RAR, and 210Mb actual size.

EDIT:

Uploading it for Rocky now.

This is the contents of the readme file:

============================

=====( GRAW2 EXTENDED )=====

============================

========( Contents )========

------( v1.5.2 ALPHA )------

+Fixed AI not noticing player bug in Coop.

+Fixed Mission 03 crash bug from the 1.5 patch.

+Fixed broken effect links.

+Fixed sound bank errors on some levels.

+Increased team size to 6 in Campaign Coop.

+Added 5 more team AI in SP.

+Added "death" state in SP. AI lost during a campaign will no longer come back.

+Added pre-defined kits for all team members and all missions.

+Moved MP Predator from primary slot to backpack.

+Fixed internal body linking and texture link warnings/errors on a few hundred units.

------( v1.5.1 ALPHA )------

+Ads new kit setup for MP and Coop, with new classes and over 100 kits to select from.

+Includes special classes which will not be used in the standard kit restriction in later versions.

+Adds G36K and G36C to SP load out, with fixed kit icons.

+Adds restrictions to team AI load out in SP and Campaign Coop.

+Changes arming distance on GL round to 25m.

+Changes draw distance to 300m.

+Changes AI awareness distances.

+Fixes a couple of graphic bugs found.

========( Installation )========

Unrar contents into GRAW2 installation folder.

Included files:

graw2_extended.bat <-- Start file for mod

graw2_extended_context.xml <-- Context file for mod

graw2_extended_readme.txt <-- Info file for mod

clean_xmb.bat <-- Support file to clean out old XMB files

mods/graw2_ext_152_alpha.bundle <-- Content file for mod

Correct placement of included files for mod to work (in case it got extracted somewhere else):

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended.bat

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended_context.xml

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended_readme.txt

"your GRAW2 folder"/clean_xmb.bat

"your GRAW2 folder"/mods/graw2_ext_152_alpha.bundle

=======( How to use )=======

To play the game with this mod, start the game by using the included graw2_extended.bat file.

To play the game without this mod, simply start the game by using the original graw2.exe file.

To use this mod while playing in MP as a player, you have to start the game with

the included BAT file and join a server running this mod.

!! You can not join a server not using this mod if you have started the game with the included BAT file !!

To setup a dedicated server to use this mod, these steps has to be followed:

1. Uploaded mod files to the server in the correct places as listed above.

2. Edit the context-standalone.xml file and add the <mod_bundle name="graw2_ext_152_alpha"/> tag

after the initial script tag.

Example start of context-standalone.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<context>

<script base="data" exec="level/dedicated" editor="false" language="english"/>

<mod_bundle name="graw2_ext_152_alpha"/>

<layer_config file="\data\settings\layers.xml"/>

<scene_config file="\data\settings\scenes.xml"/>

etc.

3. Start up the server as normal.

========( Warnings )========

!! The extended draw distance increases the minimum hardware specs and will approximetly half your FPS. !!

!! I would recommend at least a duo core to run the game with this mod. !!

This mod will not work well with another mod in a local folder overriding it.

Although it should work with most custom levels out there, there is always the possibility that

mods may collide somewhere. Each custom level has to be tested for compatibility, which is easiest

done by running the game with the mod and starting a LAN server with the maps you want to test

and then simply starting each level. If it crashes, this mod won't work with that level for some reason.

======( Support Info )======

This mod was created by GRIN_Wolfsong in his own time; support is through the www.ghostrecon.net or www.theplatoon.com forums, not Ubisoft or GRIN.

New version up for download in the same place as last time. ;)

http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=810

Now back to adjusting the texture scopes and some other warnings I've found.

Please provide feedback on the draw distance. Still not sure where to put this. I'll probably reduce it to 225m (halfway between this one and the original one) for the next version just so people have something to test against.

I can give this a run after using Nvidea 7600 GS.

Monday / Tuesday my 8800GT card arrives and i can have a look at the difference in performance too. Running a Duo core.

I already agree about the draw distance lowering some. Had in mind around the 230 mark also.

Increased team size to 6 in Campaign Coop

Cheers

:thumbsup:

*Edit*

:hmm:

What about the 4 player limit for vehicles in the missions?

Hmmm... I guess extractions conditions would be a problem... gonna have to re-script some for those I guess. There are no insertions in Campaign Coop so that's no problem.

Also, I noticed now that I forgot to update the server settings option which still reads max 4. But I could at least add 5 AI to my team. So I guess that would still leave it at 4 players + 2 AI then if only 4 can connect. I'll fix that for the next version then if it stops more then 4 people from joining. :wall:

:whistle:

Maybe we can get a vehicle in this game at last?

I can supply 1 if needed. I an guessing all we need to do is add some more seats and figure out the settings.

I guess so. Gonna have to look at how they are setup though when it comes to passengers and slots. The Blackhawk holds 8 actors (2 pilots, 2 gunners and 4 ghosts). The Littlebird holds 6 (2 pilots and 4 ghosts), but could easily have the platform extended to seat 6 ghosts, but I'll still have to look into if there is something that needs to be adjusted in the script as well to seat more ghosts inside 1 vehicle.

Coop has respawn... so?

There can be no respawn on leader as there is no leader, if that is what you want. And there is support in the mission script language to add zone activation and move spawn points, so any modder could have done that from the beginning. I thin Coop Retrieve uses such a system, at least it did at one point.

BTW, I forgot to add that AGEIA Island is unlocked in the mod as well... be prepared for a lower FPS ride though with long draw distance and heavy physics. :P

EDIT: Oh, and I will be away a bit the coming weeks. Plan on moving next Saturday, if the apartment is ready as promised, and then I will have to switch IP, so I don't know when I'll be back from home again. But I'll drop by the forum during the days at the office. But there won't be much done on this mod during the coming 2 weeks at least.

######

Hang on ill just bang my head against the wall a few times

What I am trying to say is some of us

WANT RESPAWN in coop

Yes respawn on leader on coop in GRAW2 would be nice

just like GRAW1 ORG has

Repsawn in GRAW2 coop would be nice , just like GRAW1 ORG COOP has

Increase GRAW2 coop player to 8-16 would be nice

just like GRAW1 ORG COOP

A ubi game to come out without bugs and inculde the features of the prev one

yup we want that too .

Edited by charliebrownau

I just answered all of that...

######

Hang on ill just bang my head against the wall a few times

What I am trying to say is some of us

WANT RESPAWN in coop

All Coop modes came with respawn out of the box. It's a server option.

Yes respawn on leader on coop in GRAW2 would be nice

just like GRAW1 ORG has

This specific type of respawn can't be done in GRAW2 are there are no teams in Coop. But modders can use switching of spawn zones through the progression of the mission by securing areas and such.

Campaign Coop on the other side already has respawn on team leader.

Repsawn in GRAW2 coop would be nice , just like GRAW1 ORG COOP has

Again, all Coop modes has respawn of of the box. It's a server option.

Increase GRAW2 coop player to 8-16 would be nice just like GRAW1 ORG COOP

Coop has a limit of 12 players in the server settings. So it's hard to increase to 8 as that would be decrease... 16 can be done already by overriding the server settings in the XML file to allow 16 players as Coop uses the normal MP system but just one side, that gives room for 16 players.

Campaign Coop will not be able to support many more players then 6 as I've added now, and not fully functional yet either as there is no vehicle to handle a 6 man strong team in the game so far.

A ubi game to come out without bugs and inculde the features of the prev one

yup we want that too .

Go make one then.

GRAW2 is superior in every feature to GRAW1 in my eyes, and it requires less resources to run. Overall a better game.

This mod will not work well with another mod in a local folder overriding it.

Although it should work with most custom levels out there, there is always the possibility that mods may collide somewhere. Each custom level has to be tested for compatibility, which is easiest done by running the game with the mod and starting a LAN server with the maps you want to test and then simply starting each level. If it crashes, this mod won't work with that level for some reason.

If another custom level does not work with this mod, then it probably never will do.

Custom maps should work.

There could be a problem is a custom map bundle has a new file with the same name as one in this mod, as custom map bundles are not allowed to override and as such are not allowed by the engine to contain any files that exists in the other bundles (and I think it's not allowed to find it in the local folder either).

The tag system right now is that only the tracker can tag, but is also limited in range like in RvsA. It haven't been tested in MP yet as far as I know so I can't tell for sure if it is operational, but it is the same as in the last alpha build. Also not sure if some other game mode setting would override it. I'm gonna try to get another PC up and running GRAW2 at home so I can do some better testing of these features, but right now I only have 1 that can handle the game.

If another custom level does not work with this mod, then it probably never will do.

I may get around to adjusting stuff for that in the future. But right now it's not something I take into consideration.

The tag system right now is that only the tracker can tag, but is also limited in range like in RvsA. It haven't been tested in MP yet as far as I know so I can't tell for sure if it is operational, but it is the same as in the last alpha build. Also not sure if some other game mode setting would override it. I'm gonna try to get another PC up and running GRAW2 at home so I can do some better testing of these features, but right now I only have 1 that can handle the game.

We gave your alpha a run last night, and even using the Tracker class, couldn't get the Tagging to work. We even checked the settings in the xml and couldn't get it running.

hmmm... like I wrote a few pages ago there is the possibility that it won't work the way I have planed it due to game mode limitations. It's impossible to fix unless I have two machines in the same room and connect them over LAN to do some testing to track it down. but, also like I wrote back then, if it can't be fixed, any suggestions how to otherwise balance out those classes that have less firepower then the rest? Or maybe they should simply be removed?

so then guys i know this is gonna p u off but how do we install this mod, yes i have read the readme but still unsure.

where is the graw 2 installation folder ??

do we just stick it in C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 ??

and then how do we start it ??

do i click on my graw 2 shortcut or do i create another ??

i bet a lot of peeps are wondering the same :)

so then guys i know this is gonna p u off but how do we install this mod, yes i have read the readme but still unsure.

I'll highlight the bits you apparantly missed when you "read" the readme, that answers your questions.

========( Installation )========

Unrar contents into GRAW2 installation folder.

Included files:

graw2_extended.bat <-- Start file for mod

graw2_extended_context.xml <-- Context file for mod

graw2_extended_readme.txt <-- Info file for mod

clean_xmb.bat <-- Support file to clean out old XMB files

mods/graw2_ext_152_alpha.bundle <-- Content file for mod

Correct placement of included files for mod to work (in case it got extracted somewhere else):

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended.bat

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended_context.xml

"your GRAW2 folder"/graw2_extended_readme.txt

"your GRAW2 folder"/clean_xmb.bat

"your GRAW2 folder"/mods/graw2_ext_152_alpha.bundle

i.e. put those files in the folders shown. So if you GRAW2 installation is on your c drive, dump those file in the C drive folder where your GRAW2 file was installed.

where is the graw 2 installation folder ??

do we just stick it in C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 ??

Correct, place all files except the bundle in there. Bundle goes into mod folder.

and then how do we start it ??

do i click on my graw 2 shortcut or do i create another ??

Double click: graw2_extended.bat

Server does the same, plus, edit the context XML to activate mod.

*Edit*

Rocky beat me too it.

:whistle:

yes guys i did do that i just thought i would highlight this as a few people have been asking and i didnt want it to sound to sarcastic :)

just played ageia island wow 11 fps, first time on that map but unplayable with those fps.

comp specs :

core due 6750

8800 gts

2 g ram