Ghost Recon.net Forums

[590 or 680i SLI motherboard ?]

I'm about to get a new motherboard so I'm wondering about the difference between the SLI versions.

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition (D)

or

NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Intel Edition (D)

Is the 680i worth the extra money? What do I gain by it?

Personally I would go with the 680i because of the higher FSB (allowing for faster CPUs and RAM to be used) and higher overclocking capabilities (if you want to go that route). If you plan on getting high end stuff then the 680i is great. If you are going for price/performance then I would actually consider a 650i board, but the 680i really shines with a high end C2D and 8800/2900 GPU.

Personally I would go with the 680i because of the higher FSB (allowing for faster CPUs and RAM to be used) and higher overclocking capabilities (if you want to go that route). If you plan on getting high end stuff then the 680i is great. If you are going for price/performance then I would actually consider a 650i board, but the 680i really shines with a high end C2D and 8800/2900 GPU.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a new Dell so I can't really select exactly what I want. The XPS with 680i has many other things that are better as well which makes it cost about 50% more then the other option for me as I need a new monitor and all that as well. Just didn't know what the difference was well enough to know how much I should add the SLI version into the calculation.

Darn it's hard to buy a new computer... :P

Your motherboard, in combination with your video card, represent the "Backbone" of your system and deserve the extra planning you are apparetnly putting into them.

I bought a bundled pair from eVGA (via tigerdirect) which was their 680i mobo and their 8800GTS. eVGA gives a lifetime warranty on all tehir stuff. And it is real. They really do replace their stuff for free for life. I got the pair for right at $600 US.

This "Backbone" allows for a 2 point upgrade path. Since i got the e6600 CPU (currently about $220 US ... nice and cheap), i still have the quad core to look forward too when it comes way down in price sometim in the next 18 months. And ofcourse, the SLI path when my $400 video card drops to $100 in the next 2 years.

I always try to make my gaming PCs last 2.5 years minimum. And i have been successful accomplishing this goal for many cycles now becuase my strategy for design is always based around getting the most forward thinking MOBO I can get and going "older stuff" on other stuff. Becuase once you hve to rip out your Mobo, your bascially starting over.

Get the 680i Mobo. I like the newest model made by eVGA very much. Besides being highly overclockable (depends on your cooling ofcourse ...consider a Zalman fan CPU cooler if you arent going to get water cooled ...its very effective and allows the 2.4 Ghz CPUs to get to 2.8 or 3.0 GHZ pretty easily), it has 2 thing si love. the lifetime warranty, and the digitial post codes. 2 LED digits that tell you exactly where your post got hung up if you ever fail to boot. rather than the old beep codes, it may say, for example "FF". you look it up and "FF" will say something like "Memory". I had that one once, i reseated the memory and away i went. That was very nice.....

Last recommendation if you decide to go the eVGA 680i route. There are a coiuple of revisions out there. Themost expensive one (more by about 20 bucks) is the one you want. i think they call it the "A1" revision.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Graphics card is no problem. It'll be a 8800GTX 768Mb. If I go for the 680i version I have to buy 2 of those, so that ups the price on that setup. It also comes only with a over-clocked QX6800, which also brings up the price some. Would love to get that system, but it adds about 17000SEK (about 2500USD) with the other smaller extras and H2C cooling system, compared to the other system I'm leaning more towards right now.

And why I'm a buying a Dell? I need a completely new system, haven't upgraded for 5 years! So need everything new. And I have a student discount at Dell for a few more months. ;)

Get 1500SEK (about 250USD) discount on a Full HD 24" WS monitor if I buy the lower end system of the two as well. Which will be a nice monitor I'm sure. :P

Oh. I don't think i realized you were talking about buying a pre built system. I thought you were building your own system.

I have been building my own gaming PCs for over 12 years. I don't know much at all about pre built systems like the ones from Dell.

But at this stage, i wouldn ot buy a second video card. Its ok to buy an SLI ready system, but to actually buy the second video card is probably wasted cash at this point.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Oh. I don't think i realized you were talking about buying a pre built system. I thought you were building your own system.

I have been building my own gaming PCs for over 12 years. I don't know much at all about pre built systems like the ones from Dell.

But at this stage, i wouldn ot buy a second video card. Its ok to buy an SLI ready system, but to actually buy the second video card is probably wasted cash at this point.

I have a Dell right now. They only use standard parts, besides their designed chassis, so I'm planing to upgrade from there this time. Planed to do the same last time, but got the new system the last month I worked before becoming a student so I've been low on cash for 5 years and a high spec computer at home hasn't been a high priority compared to other stuff.

Always built my own systems before that as back then the pre-built ones where always full of special parts and couldn't be upgraded with stuff from other stores.

And why I'm a buying a Dell? I need a completely new system, haven't upgraded for 5 years! So need everything new. And I have a student discount at Dell for a few more months. ;)

Just curious, have you spoken to anyone in Dell about getting a student discount on their higher end items?

The reason I ask, is that I got "Gov't/Hospital discount" but does not apply to higher ends: XPS items.

Even with monitors, discount offers applies to monitors 20" below only.

With the number of tech-savvy ppl here, I'm sure one or a group of ppl here can assist you on building one. :huh:

When family/friends/co-workers ask me what to pc buy, I ask them first what's the reason.

If you need a typewriter+internet, get a Gateway or Dell.

If you need typewriter+internet+picture/movie related stuff, get a Dell (due to nice graphic bundle equipment)

If you need typewriter+internet+picture/movie related stuff+mp3's+gaming; time to start building.

And if you well thru Dell already, and have nice monitor/printer/scanners/mouse/keyboard, etc, but the desktop is already aging, time to build. :thumbsup:

I tend to lean towards 680i mobo just because, it opens up more possibilities and future features.

If you were to buy/comparison house and lots, with both houses offering same features, buy the house with the bigger lot...just in case you wanna add something later.

Good luck

:thumbsup:

Just curious, have you spoken to anyone in Dell about getting a student discount on their higher end items? The reason I ask, is that I got "Gov't/Hospital discount" but does not apply to higher ends: XPS items. Even with monitors, discount offers applies to monitors 20" below only.

We have student discount on everything aimed towards home owners, and comes in the form of a bonus code that deducts a set percentage from the final cost. Really nice. We have the same for Apple Store.

Just curious, have you spoken to anyone in Dell about getting a student discount on their higher end items? The reason I ask, is that I got "Gov't/Hospital discount" but does not apply to higher ends: XPS items. Even with monitors, discount offers applies to monitors 20" below only.

We have student discount on everything aimed towards home owners, and comes in the form of a bonus code that deducts a set percentage from the final cost. Really nice. We have the same for Apple Store.

NOTE TO SELF: "Forget Canadian HealthCare System, move...to...Sweden." :pokerface:

Ok. This is the system I'm aiming at right now:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6600 (2,4GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)

RAM: 4096MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Dual-Channel [4x1024]

GPU: Single 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

SC: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music PCI

HD: 500GB Serial ATA RAID0 [2 x 250GB 7200rpm w/ DataBurst-cache]

Optic Units: 16x DVD+/-RW + 16x DVD

Monitor: Dell 24" UltraSharp Digital/Analog Widescreen (2407FPW)

PSU: 750 Watt

Motherboard:

- BTX

- NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition (D)

- 3 x PCI

- 1 x PCIe x1

- 1 x PCIe x8

- 2 x PCIe x16

- S/P DIF Connection

- Gigabit LAN

Other:

- Dell AS501-Speaker Panel for Dell UltraSharp-flatscreens

- D-Link AirPlus G DI-524 Wieless Router DSL/Cabel (802.11g)

- Built in 13-in-1 Media Card Reader

- Premium Optical Scroll Mouse

- Extrended Multimedia Keyboard (QWERTY)

Sexy beast, although I have to admit I've never seen a BTX form motherboard (heard of 'em though). Too bad you're stuck with Vista Ultimate though :P

It's basically a mirrored ATX board. So now all the card are right side up again, which have been upside down since PCI was introduced. :P

I choose Vista Ultimate. It's the only Vista version that actually works well apparently.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

It's sweeeeet! Full HD and HDMI connector. It's gonna be the extra PS3 monitor as well when the girl wants to watch TV. :P

I can already see the hostile take over. :rofl:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

It's sweeeeet! Full HD and HDMI connector. It's gonna be the extra PS3 monitor as well when the girl wants to watch TV. :P

For some reason I can't picture you as the playstation 3 type. I had a 22" westinghouse with component hookups that I used for the xbox 360 when I had it. That was beautiful and it only cost me $199. I have since gotten rid of both the xbox and the monitor since we have no internet and I can't really enjoy either.

I have a 680I Asus and it rocks. I am only running 1 GTX and a quad core but pushing over 100 FPS (50's on 32 maxed servers) This is at 1280x1024.

I like the board because it has 2 PCI express slots for video and another you could put a video card in for physics.

Also the 590 was known for some issues with the creative cards. There are none with my XFI. Finally, it's fully Vista compliant and uses heat pipes on it's north and south bridge so there are no moving fans on the board to fail.

For some reason I can't picture you as the playstation 3 type.

I've had consoles since... the early 80's. About the same time I started with computers. My step dad had an old Atari or some sort. I got my own Intellivision, followed by a Colecovision (which I still have around somewhere). Then we got a Sega MegaDrive (with Atari and Master System addon compatibility). Then moved on to PSX and PS2 and will get the PS3 in a few months.

As for computers... My stepdad had one of the first IBM 286 systems at home... hehe. And a C64 with floppy and stuff. Got my own first computer a few years later, a Spectravideo MSX 738. Really good programming computer in those days. Moved over to my own PC with the first 486 DX CPUs. A 33MHz if I remember correctly. Imported from the US as it wasn't out in Europe yet (I was that early and cost me an arm and a leg basically). But in those days a computer lasted longer so it was worth it. Been jumping between PC's since. Stopped building my own around 2000. Inly to some minor upgrades now to lengthen the life of the PC a bit before buy a completely new one. This one I'm getting now will be a bit backwards to more regular upgrades. So I'm gonna have this as a new start simply because my old PC is way too old and nothing on it can be used anymore. hehe.

I have a 680I Asus and it rocks. I am only running 1 GTX and a quad core but pushing over 100 FPS (50's on 32 maxed servers) This is at 1280x1024.

I like the board because it has 2 PCI express slots for video and another you could put a video card in for physics.

Also the 590 was known for some issues with the creative cards. There are none with my XFI. Finally, it's fully Vista compliant and uses heat pipes on it's north and south bridge so there are no moving fans on the board to fail.

I'm planing on switching MB and CPU in about a year to keep down the costs right now. Next time it won't quite as much that needs replacing at the same time. Gonna keep up a bit more with this rig then with my current, now that I'm no longer a student and have an income. :thumbsup:

If you are going for price/performance then I would actually consider a 650i board, but the 680i really shines with a high end C2D and 8800/2900 GPU.
I'm probably missing it, but I don't see any big advantages of the 680i over the 650i.

Your list is nice, the sound card I would go for an extreme gamer not music, or use the new Auzen from Germany.

I would really be tempeted to dual boot as well, have xp on a sep drive.

To add for safety use a good external for things you really dont wont to lose, I have some serious lessons this year with Vista Op.

Your list is nice, the sound card I would go for an extreme gamer not music, or use the new Auzen from Germany.
I checked my order and it actually says only X-Fi Extreme on the confirmation. It also says (Vista Only) after the X-Fi card.

Other funny things on there...

Floppy Drive Not Included... amount 1 Why do they list that? :P

I would really be tempeted to dual boot as well, have xp on a sep drive.

I will have Xp64 on another drive.

To add for safety use a good external for things you really dont wont to lose, I have some serious lessons this year with Vista Op.
I have 500Gb external right now. :)

An estimated 10 more days to go...