[Why only one server with ZERO spawns ?]

i think you will find unless someone has changed it in the lats 24 hrs that our server has also adopted the 0 re spawn for the past couple of weeks now on hh and seige the numbers have dropped and you only get the hardcore players in there not the heros. but we have 2 maps of tdm unlimited spawns and watch the slots fill up then.

I find 3 respawns or less provide the best gameplay. Any more repawns then I feel all your killing efforts have gone in vain (plus to much relocating after kills can be a ######). Yet I still play on unlimited death servers for training reasons, because you more frequently meet your opposition and improve your reflexes. I think people are currently keeping the respawns high until the novelty wears off, cause the game is still pretty new. Im sure all the match clans will drop their respawns as soon as scrimming/matching begins, so all the other hyperactive Pre-teens can play else where w00t

Edited by Brok21k

It's fun to be sure, but I'm just waiting for the coming months when the kiddies that always play the latest games start to disappear, leaving us with the more hardcore crowd. Around that time I'm hoping to see more 3 or less respawn servers. That and some good coop, if that's possible.

Times may have changed, but in GR's heyday no one with any talent nor skill played respawn servers. Ask anyone who played GR where the good games could be found.

Now now, lets not get carried here - you know how talented I am Rugg, and I only played respawns for the first 2 years or so. :P

Just bcoz ppl prefer spawns to no spawns duznt make them better or worse (although the complacency factor can set in - oh well, if I die I still have another life or 2 left.)

But in GR's heyday there were thousands of good GR players who only played respawns bocz it meant they were an integral part of a big. long match where scores could chop n change several times during the course of a match, as opposed to these quick 5 or 10 minute scrims.

Now I do like my no respawns too, but I just don't think you need to discount players who dont go for 0 spawns.

Tactics are still there either way - you play according to the conditions presented to you.

Tactics are still there either way - you play according to the conditions presented to you.

I think it requires a much bigger skill set to be succesful in zero respawns, than players who dominate at unlimited respawns. They do require two seprate ways of playing (and practicing both ways will improve you as a player) but the added pressure of protecting your value of life, seems to rattle some players. Also the whole aspect of sneak and creep is wasted on unlimited deaths, plus to many easy kills due to people rushing causes players to drop their standards and then can't up their game for zero respawns, thats why players start using the word camper while their running around like headless chickens.

we had our server set to 3 at first hoping to drop to 1 but a lot of newbies were leaving and moaning so currently we have TDM at 4 and the rest at 3 which seems to help fill the server, the coop server never empties how you can play 3 maps constantly is beyond me lol.

some the the missions in the sp campaign have time limits. This favors the aggressive , violent, rambo-style offensive. You cant really take out the tank in the 2nd mission with stealth- the loyalists die if you use 2 much time, etc. A staccato stealth-assault- relocate to recon pattern can be useful in some situations but good luck getting the ai to do that. Relocating works very well if you lone-wolf it. I cant tell you how many times I've used alleys and flanking maneuvers to successfully take out loads of tangoes. Without VOIP, it's difficult. Tried a few campaign coops the other night-much more entertaining than the standard coop which in TDM has a quake-halo flavor.

ahead of the curve, ready for the more advanced gameplay when most players still may be learning the maps and what they can and can't do.

Exactly.....how is anyone supposed to L2P on a no-respawn server?

It's how I learned <_<

Maybe so.

But respawn servers are still superior when it comes to learning the maps sooner.

No respawn servers are superior when it comes to gritty, suspenseful, tactical play devoid of "heroes".

what I find so interesting is how everyone talks about "learning the map". Of course, it provides a huge advanatge in play, but I still love the first couple of times I play a new map, where I have no idea what is coming around the corner. Those are often the most exciting game moments ......

Edited by Sleepdoc

I've learned more about the maps in our no respawn server than I have in the other servers. I've learned some of the areas that people are using to shoot, sniper or hide in that just aren't used in no respawn servers. People are more sneaky in no respawn servers. Never once on Calavera in the pub servers have I been sniped coming from upper machine gun pit, running high right and crossing the first "main road" while still staying high. Corax has found a great spot to get a first kill from the other side with the M99 so now he can stop the other team from pushing hard into the area with the shanty town (next to the parking lot) and the area where people go up the hill to the high sniper location.

Yeah, it sucks to be first one out or to have to watch deathcam for a few minutes but you learn a lot. And you also have a bit of time to use the restroom and refresh your drink.

ahead of the curve, ready for the more advanced gameplay when most players still may be learning the maps and what they can and can't do.

Exactly.....how is anyone supposed to L2P on a no-respawn server?

watch people and learn is the easiest way instead on getting bored and leaving the game just cause you got killed stay in the deathcams of people and watch, but at the end of the day if you want to stay in servers running around like a headless chicken then people will.

i havent tried it for a while but is the dying and leaving and then coming back bug back in graw 2? the only reason is i joined a server the other nite with limited spawns and i have no deaths when half the team were out having reached their maximum deaths!!!!

Now thats the most sense ive seen in any of these threads in along long time.

ROFL, that's what I was doing last nite after 3 huge glasses of iced tea. Ghost Enak comes on comms cuz he's having connection issues with our server and he needed some questions answered. So I hear everyone talking and since I'm "busy" I gotta finish, cuz ya'll know you can die if you cut it off mid-stream. :DEnak I left you a post in the tech thread, thought it might help. ;)

Seriously though, I got really good at GR by watching Phootsoldier on some replays I got hold of for GR. Watching is how kids learn to do things, it's how as adults we learn how to do things. So while some people don't think that being in deathcam is fun, it can be constructive time to learn how to better yourself with the game.

Edited by ruggbutt

Now thats the most sense ive seen in any of these threads in along long time.

ROFL, that's what I was doing last nite after 3 huge glasses of iced tea. Ghost Enak comes on comms cuz he's having connection issues with our server and he needed some questions answered. So I hear everyone talking and since I'm "busy" I gotta finish, cuz ya'll know you can die if you cut it off mid-stream. :DEnak I left you a post in the tech thread, thought it might help. ;)

Seriously though, I got really good at GR by watching Phootsoldier on some replays I got hold of for GR. Watching is how kids learn to do things, it's how as adults we learn how to do things. So while some people don't think that being in deathcam is fun, it can be constructive time to learn how to better yourself with the game.

Trust me. I played my share of GRAW1 at one death and was very happy to have such a nice death cam feature awaiting me

More often than not though, i played TDM on 3 and 5 death servers ....