New NVIDIA 162.18 WHQL drivers

Some are reporting that after updating to these drivers that they are receiving CTDs upon program (GR:AW2) load as well.

yes...

I can play the game only with shadow disabled :( (with a nvidia 7950 gt)

I return to the old nvidia official drivers

I can confirm that the newest drivers for xp (162.22) are also playing havoc with my 7900GT. With ANY shadows enabled, visual artifacts appear, and with shadows set to 'high', it becomes impossible to play. The framerate slows to a crawl, the graphics become garbled and nonsensical, and the game is completely unplayable. It's a shame because I get a healthy boost in most other games (like ArmA) and as a result I'm unwilling to roll back. I hope nVIDIA and GRIN come to some sort of a solution as I really would like to play with shadows enabled again at some stage in the future.

162.22 beta casued wierd shadows. Not sure if the 168.22 WHQLd ones are any different. Afraid to try. I have been using the 162.18 one for awhile and they seem to work pretty good with AW2. Running Vista 32-bit BTW.

Hey, that tweaked set of drivers from HexDEF are excellent - no discernable loss in performance AND the shadows are retained. I rolled back and have not regretted it. Highly recommended!

Make sure you use a full driver removal tool when rolling back, though. nVIDIA's uninstallation proceedures are notoriously absent minded.

Edited by Undercoverman

The shadows work fine for me using the 162.18, it's just when I tried the 162.22 beta drivers you could see the shadows being renderered like 10 feet in front of you as your are moving or looking around. It wa like you had a spotlight following you around. ;)

162.22 beta casued wierd shadows. Not sure if the 168.22 WHQLd ones are any different. Afraid to try. I have been using the 162.18 one for awhile and they seem to work pretty good with AW2. Running Vista 32-bit BTW.

Your sure 162.22 is beta caus is one of the few the official nvidia site is offering

162.22 was a beta driver and now it is WHQL'd. Though I suspect they are essentially the same and the shadow problem will still be there. Others have reported this to be true. With 162.18 my shadows are normal. Vista 32-bit and 7800GT.