[high end physics without an ageia card]

I still do not understand why Grin dumped Havok and went solely with Ageia, or for that matter, why they limited both the standard and extra physX effects to the extent that they did.

If it was some sort of a marketing arrangement between the two companys, I can't see the reasoning behind it. It's a hard sell (even at $130) for the PPU if all it's good for is one standalone map.

Grift.

:whistle:

It's easier to only deal with one physics engine. ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't list Grin's Diesel engine under engines that use PhysX either...

And yet their home page uses references to GRAW2 .... It is odd ...

It's not odd , It's just advertising PPU with GRAW2. GRAW1 was advertised for ages on AGEIA website.

As far as i know the xbox360 & ps3 don't have ageia's chip built in onboard but the consoles both support & use ageia's physX sdk in software so why the pc games are targeted for the extra cash outlay for hardware ppu ..well seems obvious to me.

I still do not understand why Grin dumped Havok and went solely with Ageia, or for that matter, why they limited both the standard and extra physX effects to the extent that they did.

If it was some sort of a marketing arrangement between the two companys, I can't see the reasoning behind it. It's a hard sell (even at $130) for the PPU if all it's good for is one standalone map.

Grift.

It's easier to only deal with one physics engine. ;)

And easier on the wallet.

Grift.

You should of bought it last year when it was $300+, hey but at least I've seen all the physiX details. :rofl: (and it's not just one map).

I tried the settings.xml and it works as described.

There is a FPS hit, but I need to do more testing to confirm the extent, initial thoughts are that it effects FPS in all scenes, not just those with explosions.

The attached movie shows two effects.

The first section shows how a fence disintigrates with PhysX on, with more splinters.

The second section shows a truck explosion which has quite a bit more debris.

Some of the effects looked over the top to me, but I can see it adding more fun to the visuals.

One important note, my GPU heat went way up with the PhysX turned on, so be careful guys.

physx.zip

Here's a short video comparing one effect (concrete chips) that is enabled with the PhysX enabling hack :

Download link: RAR file containing a .wmv video @ 5.1mb

Frankly I don't think it's worth the overhead (video card and system stress in general) to run with the PhysX stuff enabled. It makes for a neat visual to see bits of concrete, wood and whatever else go flying through the air though.

( rant=on )

I'd rather see the 'physics' of some other things modeled correctly, instead of having additional particles floating through the air. Things like 'flying tanks' and 'rubber vehicles'. The 'rubber vehicles' really annoys me... try lieing prone near a Panhard when it comes under fire from enemy troops. It bounces all over the place, allowing the troops to shoot you while it's in the air. Argghh!

I'll have a video available showing the 'rubber vehicle' thing shortly...

( rant=off )

i got a severe performance hit but im gonna try without the blood mod

EDIT: agent smiths blood mod is better no performance loss and it comes with blood!!! screw the $200 agea card and agea island ME LIKE GORE!

Edited by sgt.hoot

i got a severe performance hit but im gonna try without the blood mod

EDIT: agent smiths blood mod is better no performance loss and it comes with blood!!! screw the $200 agea card and agea island ME LIKE GORE!

But it has no true PhysX, that's why it's labeled as a beta.

I'm already test it on my PC, my PC is not a high end PC, but can run at high mode (not include TEXTURE).

When I'm run it at "The Last Stand", there have many explosion at Protect U.S. Border, if Mortar Fire plus you shoot the vehicles bloom, it will hang up the PC can't move (just can hear sound loop)...

It will dangerous at minimum system requirements computer...

Is this actually worth enabling? I have an 8800GTX and currently get around 60fps at 1360x768 (16:10) with every setting on full.

Cheers

For those specs I'd say yeh, it is certainly worth trying it. Like I said though, monitor your cards temperature.

Is this actually worth enabling? I have an 8800GTX and currently get around 60fps at 1360x768 (16:10) with every setting on full.

Cheers

For those specs I'd say yeh, it is certainly worth trying it. Like I said though, monitor your cards temperature.

Cheers, will have a bash when I get hope from work. Is it best to set to High or eXtreme?

This tweak works perfectly fine, all you need to do is to restart the level after you have applied the settings.

It looks really sweet but I only get around 4 fps on my system :(

8800gts 640MB

x2 3800+

2GB ram

It's probably my cpu that is the bottleneck. this was on the Extreme setting. I will try the High setting next, maybe it will run much better...

edit: It ran about twice as good, around 10fps. Much better but still not playable. I guess you will need a really good cpu to run this smooth.

Edited by Verity

Watching that vid was interesting. They fragments really do dissapear quickly. Dissapointing.

Can someone get footage of before and after of a Adat blowing up or something? Thats what i would like to see.

EDIT: Verity, your CPU would be your limit there for sure.

Also, if someone gets some footage, can you show your system specs also?

Cheers.

IE.

Gigabyte GA-865PE-PRO mobo

2gig DDR400 Ram

BFG 7800gs O/C Edtion AGP

Intel P4 S775 3.4GHz o/c'd @ 4.1GHZ

On 1280*1024 res on a low / medium detail mix i get around 25-30fps but going as low as 12-15 in high hostile online play :(

I am trying to save for an upgrade now:

Mobo -- ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP

CPU --- Intel ATX E6850 CORE 2 DUO 3GHz/4MB CACHE/1333FSB/LGA775

RAM --- 2x G.Skill DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 BlackHeatspreader

GPU --- Asus EN8800GTX-HTDP-768MB DDR3 PCIEx16 HDTV 2xDVI-I HDCP

PSU --- Thermal Take Tough Powr 750w

Edited by RnegadeVyp3r

heres my specs -

VGA XFX PVT84JUDD3 8600GT 256MB R

500 cooling system

MB GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R 775 R

Intel core2 cpu 6320 @ 1.86GHz (dual core)

2 gig or ram

Should I have to worry about overheating?

Ran the training mission with it, got great fps. But idk how to monitor the cards heat.

Edited by Commander Outcast

• 3 weeks later...

Using this edit combined with the one described here

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46417

allows you to see the "Ageia Island" exclusive content as well as putting your system through a pretty good stress test.

I'm alittle less than overwhelmed with the effects...as noted above they are of the short attention span variety, it would really be nice if some of this stuff burned and produced smoke for better than 5 seconds. Instead we are offered bruised bananas and cracked cocconuts.

The best things about this map is the water (especially the shallows dividing the islands) and the fact that it has weather; a storm front actually rolls in between the infil/exfil.

Maybe I still am not seeing the full affect of the PhysX with these edits (sans PPU) but have to say that the Havok system of :AW is missed in :AW2. It wasn't perfect but it did add to the game, and did so without taking up a slot.

All video settings (except AA) high on a stock SP map = mean 100 FPS = NP...with Ageia effects forced to extreme on Ageia Island = mean 28 FPS = Oven mits required (C2E QX6700, 2GB PC2-8500, 8800GTX).