Ghost Recon.net Forums

[high end physics without an ageia card]

a user from another forums that i frequent, brought this interesting edit in graw2 that enables high end physics without the need of an ageia card, it works...and boy it looks nice :D

C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\GRAW2\settings\profiles\graw2_(name) (different in xp)

called settings.xml that contains these settings (among others):

<has_physx value="false" />

and

<physics value="0" />

to enable the full detail of physics, without an Ageia Physx card:

change the <physics value=> setting to "1" ("physx high") or "2" ("physx Extreme"), depending on your system, go to the graphics options while in-game and change any random setting (don't really have to change anything, just click something so you can click on "Apply"). Then click Apply and enjoy a visual feast of 3d pieces of dirt flying up when you shoot the ground, amazing explosions that are followed by a rain of soot, and wooden boards exploding into a rain of chips...

make sure you go into the graphics menu AFTER loading the level or campaign because it ctd's if you do this from the main menu.

interestingly, when i set the has_physx value to "true", i got an fps boost (made the 2 physics value actually a little more playable).

***** (thnks to isathar @ tru forums)

Edited by sb85
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I dont even have a users folder on my C drive. I dont know what this guy means.

instead, I found my settings.xml in the GRAW2 directory. It has the line

but not the line

<physics value="0" />

some help here?

Edited by Zoot

oops, forgot to mention, this is for vista. the path location should be different in XP. its odd that the physics value = 0 is not showing up. it should be present in the settings.xml file...maybe someone with XP can verify? is the settings.xml file located in the user profiles or under the graw2 directory in general?

as for ageia island, i will check and let you guys know...

interestingly, when i set the has_physx value to "true", i got an fps boost (made the 2 physics value actually a little more playable).

***** (thnks to isathar @ tru forums)

I would of thought you got a frame drop, how strange? The physiX card with it's 128Mb dedicated memory works overtime processing the data stream. For the 8800 to pull this off and give a fps boost, is good news, but, why have a physiX card?

he never specifys if overall (the average Framerate) actually increased or if it happens to be when he's looking at a poster board and nothing else is on screen.

Fraps offers a free FPS benchmarking program but yet theres no evidence that with the non-hacked files he was any slower...and with them any faster

Aye, but he doesn't say if it was consitently boosted or just whenever he looked up at the counter (which is to say unreliable) sure he could get 32+ FPS standing still looking down an alley with nothing else on screen but my point is IS if consistent all the way through the game EG the Average FPS count would go UP in a benchmark meaning yes he did consistently see an increase in FPS not just whenever he glanced up an looked at the FPS counter.

its easy to say yeah I seen higher FPS when I glaced up but thats like saying I seen 70 FPS on a 8800GTS while I was looking at the artillary pieces with no AI in view while I placed the C4 while my Average FPS was at 40-50... which would be a 20+ FPS boost

Edited by bangurdead

The main problem is that i've seen that the fences are breaking in real time with a AGEIA card,thing you can't have with the above tweak. For instance shoot a fence. You will notice that the fence will break after some ammount of bullets. With the AGEIA cards i've seen that every wood of the fence is breaking in real-time even with one shot. Sure there is some debris now,but i really don't think that this tweak works properly

Edited by john2gr

not sure if this has been posted

so soz if it has

found it on overclockers forum

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17761729

the file to edit is here:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\Settings\profiles\(your name)\settings.xml

and there are 2 lines to change, they are:

<physics value="0" />

change them to 'true' and either '1' for high physics or '2' for extreme

[Merged with existing thread]

oops i see it has

Edited by C18_Sirus

Hmm.. a can not see any differences with this hack enabled/disabled(

Maybe i'm doing something wrong(

Could anyone post some screens with "visual feast of 3d pieces of dirt flying up when you shoot the ground, amazing explosions that are followed by a rain of soot, and wooden boards exploding into a rain of chips" enabled while using this hack ? please... :)

Edited by Zogrim

when he means the users, the real directory for us old xp farts is C: programfiles/ ubisoft/ ghostreconadvancedwarfighter2/ then do a search for settings.xml

I've already edited setting.xml, and in the game options physics is shown as "PhysX Extreme". (or physx high, i've tried both) But ! - i can't see any dirt particles from bullet hits, can't see any debris from explosions, or anything else(

Can anyone post some screens with this things enabled ? i doubt if this hack is working at all..

Edited by Zogrim

When you load a level,go to the video options and change a graphical option (NOT THE PHYSICS OPTIONS). Then press apply and voila ;). As i said,i don't see any difference although there are some 3d pieces of dirt flying up when you shoot the ground but the fences aren't being destroyed in real-time (meaning that they need 7-8 bullets and then the woods brake all of them,not every single wood at the place you're shooting at it)

When you load a level,go to the video options and change a graphical option (NOT THE PHYSICS OPTIONS). Then press apply and voila ;). As i said,i don't see any difference although there are some 3d pieces of dirt flying up when you shoot the ground but the fences aren't being destroyed in real-time (meaning that they need 7-8 bullets and then the woods brake all of them,not every single wood at the place you're shooting at it)

The fences that get destroyed in other ways are only found on AGEIA Island.

I've always wanted to see a video of a mission in GRAW 2 being played with the Physx card.

Oddly, all the Ageia videos out there do not include GRAW. seems odd....

But here are all their videos.

http://www.ageia.com/physx/videos.html

They don't list Grin's Diesel engine under engines that use PhysX either...

john2gr

Then press apply and voila

It works, thanks :)

but it's actually not PhysX PPU card level of physics (i have played a lot by my friend, which has PPU card) - there are no cloth, no wind particles, no destructible objects.

And FPS with this hack enabled is very slow( With PPU perfomance is much better (my friend have same CPU as i - AMD X2 4800+), except laggy explosions

GRIN_Wolfsong

The fences that get destroyed in other ways are only found on AGEIA Island.

In campaign too)

I still do not understand why Grin dumped Havok and went solely with Ageia, or for that matter, why they limited both the standard and extra physX effects to the extent that they did.

If it was some sort of a marketing arrangement between the two companys, I can't see the reasoning behind it. It's a hard sell (even at $130) for the PPU if all it's good for is one standalone map.

Grift.

:whistle: