Disable annoying "sir, talk to me sir"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really disappointed in this game. My brother told me that this game would be tactical, and it is, but it's so limited. GRAW 2 seems like a lazy job on behalf of GRIN. Bad voiceovers, bad lines, bad videos, bad AI, smudgy graphics...

But of course, the worst are the lines. If GRAW 2 for PC was meant to be tactical, why have kid-factor lines like "Talk to me, sir!" UM I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU BECAUSE I'M BUSY DESIGNATING TARGETS FOR YOU. But noooo, even if I designate, my teammates are STILL going to die for some odd reason.

Bad voiceovers, bad lines, bad videos...

But of course, the worst are the lines. If GRAW 2 for PC was meant to be tactical, why have kid-factor lines like "Talk to me, sir!" UM I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU BECAUSE I'M BUSY DESIGNATING TARGETS FOR YOU. But noooo, even if I designate, my teammates are STILL going to die for some odd reason.

All of those are 360 features/contents part of the original design concept. None are PC specific and still you post that you like the 360 version...

Bad voiceovers, bad lines, bad videos...

All of those are 360 features/contents part of the original design concept. None are PC specific and still you post that you like the 360 version...

Yeah, I think somethin's fishy with this guy.

I forsee 'Sir, Talk To Me Sir (The Remix)' :whistle::ph34r:

@WytchDokta- :D Can't wait to hear it!

@GRIN_Wolfsong- is there a value in an XML somewhere, or whatnot, that one could alter in order to reduce or eliminate the occurrence of teammate voice prompts like this one, which evidently are annoying to at least some of us? Also, I haven't taken notice- does the frequency of those voice prompts decrease with higher game difficulty levels? I'm too lazy (and busy with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) to try that out for myself. THANKS!

^

patchbundle(1.04)\data\sb_templates\global\sb_global.xml

This is the only one I've seen allowing adjustments

<!-- Talk -->

<var name="det_spotted_interval" type="number" default="20"/>		<!-- How offen does the Ai report spotted enemies -->		

<var name="speech_cue_map" type="map" />

Untested.

____

If you are willing to give up a few of the AI prompts you can uncomment some of the more annoying groups, such as "contact" (Sir?, CPT?, Talk to me, Sir,...), "reloading" (speaks for itself), and "praise_hardkill" (Nice shot...CPT, etc.) in the *_sound.xmls'.

*\quickbundle\data\sound\voices\bo, joe, john, marcus, matt

Edited by NoQuarter

I forsee 'Sir, Talk To Me Sir (The Remix)' :whistle::ph34r:

@WytchDokta- :D Can't wait to hear it!

The problem is, I don't have GRAW2 (the Liberation Front does not endorse the (mis-)use of such products) so I don't have access to the 'Sir talk to me sir' voice.

Edited by WytchDokta

Perhaps I should clarify. In the 360 version, such dialogue would've been appropriate (well, SOME dialogue at least, I still think the sexually-seductive sounding way of saying, "Way to go, Captain" should be taking out of both PC and 360) because the game on the 360 is more action-oriented. Nevertheless, porting sounds from the 360 to the PC makes it look as if the PC version was meant to have those kind of sounds/voices to the gamer.

After all, if GRIN (do you really work at GRIN? I wouldn't know, sort of new to these forums, I suppose you do) is going to invest in the effort of making GRAW2 on PC like a more tactical shooter, why keep in arcade-y sounds? I mean, why not just cut down on some of the sounds and add new ones that are more appropriate for a more tactical shooter! People die easily and there are no medics in GRAW2 PC, which would imply to the gamer consciously/subconsciouly that the stakes are higher, so why not include voices that don't make people seem as if they don't care if they die? (Again, "Way to go, Captain!" in a sexually provocative sounding way)

Ok, while the above paragraph had a bunch of double negatives, I think you understand where I'm getting at by now. <B>Honestly, I'm not a GRAW hater</B> (I only uninstalled it because I think my hard drive deserves other games), I think it's just that the PC version isn't getting enough attention as it deserves.

Perhaps I should clarify. In the 360 version, such dialogue would've been appropriate (well, SOME dialogue at least, I still think the sexually-seductive sounding way of saying, "Way to go, Captain" should be taking out of both PC and 360) because the game on the 360 is more action-oriented. Nevertheless, porting sounds from the 360 to the PC makes it look as if the PC version was meant to have those kind of sounds/voices to the gamer.

After all, if GRIN (do you really work at GRIN? I wouldn't know, sort of new to these forums, I suppose you do) is going to invest in the effort of making GRAW2 on PC like a more tactical shooter, why keep in arcade-y sounds? I mean, why not just cut down on some of the sounds and add new ones that are more appropriate for a more tactical shooter! People die easily and there are no medics in GRAW2 PC, which would imply to the gamer consciously/subconsciouly that the stakes are higher, so why not include voices that don't make people seem as if they don't care if they die? (Again, "Way to go, Captain!" in a sexually provocative sounding way)

Ok, while the above paragraph had a bunch of double negatives, I think you understand where I'm getting at by now. <B>Honestly, I'm not a GRAW hater</B> (I only uninstalled it because I think my hard drive deserves other games), I think it's just that the PC version isn't getting enough attention as it deserves.

SOMEONE AT UBISOFT INSISTS THAT ALL OF THOSE VIDEO AND AUDIO BITS BE LEFT IN THE GAME. THEY'RE ACTUALLY RECORDED AT A STUDIO ELSEWHERE, SUPPOSEDLY IN LOS ANGELES.

The acrade-y sounds and such are not necessarily within GRIN's scope of creative liberty to keep or toss out. If they WERE, I'm certain GRIN would have long ago dumped the trashy NARCOM visuals and almost ALL of the voice in the game. I mean, from the opening dialogue of Mission #1, you get the feeling that CPT Mitchell only continues to serve thanks to a "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. If you look around a bit, you'll notice that while the 'Ghosts' are supposed to be Company D, 1st Battalion, 5th SFG(A), most of the characters' bio's read that they're in the 7th SFG(A). That's in another STATE! This is all easily-researched information, thanks to a modern invention called the internet. Even our fine Swedish pals know better, but their protests, like our own, fall on the deaf ears of the profit factory that is UbiShaft.

And you're right- GRIN_Wolfsong is both an employee of GRIN and a highly respected member of this community who's worked on a number of high-quality mods before going pro. So we try not to give him TOO hard of a time around here...

After all, it's not all GRIN's fault. Not even half, I think...

The acrade-y sounds and such are not necessarily within GRIN's scope of creative liberty to keep or toss out. If they WERE, I'm certain GRIN would have long ago dumped the trashy NARCOM visuals and almost ALL of the voice in the game.
I believe that GRIN used the Nürnberg defense for this in :AW, didn't they?

After all, it's not all GRIN's fault. Not even half, I think...
It pushes credibility to re-use it as the excuse for :AW2. This Sir, only following orders, Sir. stuff rings hollow.

I still think the sexually-seductive sounding way of saying, "Way to go, Captain" should be taking out of both PC and 360

Actually most people think the voice is more sarcastic, never heard of it being described as seductive. Got a laugh out of that one :)

because the game on the 360 is more action-oriented. Nevertheless, porting sounds from the 360 to the PC makes it look as if the PC version was meant to have those kind of sounds/voices to the gamer.

You can blame Ubi for that one. I really think Grin knows what we want, but they can't give it to us because Ubi calls the shots. If Ubi doesn't like something in the game, they tell them to take it out. If they want something added, it has to be added. Why do you think we STILL got stuck with the corny narcom feeds, news broadcastes (since when does the news report activities of a rebel group that the military doesn't know about?), lame voice-overs, hero based single player, small 4 man teams, space man uniforms (GRAW 1), things we all complained about (and loudly too) when GRAW 1 came out. Ubi has got Grins acorns in a vice, so to speak.

You can blame Ubi for that one. ~~~~ Ubi has got Grins acorns in a vice, so to speak.

Which is why I hate to say it but if there is a GR:AW3 I will be reading these forums for honest to goodness reviews by GR players to see what they think before I spend any more money on a UBI game.

You can blame Ubi for that one. ~~~~ Ubi has got Grins acorns in a vice, so to speak.

Which is why I hate to say it but if there is a GR:AW3 I will be reading these forums for honest to goodness reviews by GR players to see what they think before I spend any more money on a UBI game.

Play the demo. Let the game go bargain-bin, and then if you liked it you can pick it up at half price or less.

In the meantime, I think I need to uninstall GRAW and GRAW2 to make way for Crysis and the Orange Box, both of which just showed up today!

@NoQuarter- we're not talking about slaughtering several million people, here, just a (expletive-deleted)-poor video game. Nurnberg defense, perhaps, but in business it's a far different matter, and I really can't fault GRIN too much for tossing their hats in the ring the first time. You're right, though, about them doing GRAW2. If it wasn't required by the original agreement under which they developed GRAW, I'd think they would have had the good sense to walk away and cut their credibility losses. ANY GRIN/Diesel title is gonna be a hard sell now, thanks to GRAW/GRAW2. They'll have to live with that stigma for a long time...

ANY GRIN/Diesel title is gonna be a hard sell now, thanks to GRAW/GRAW2. They'll have to live with that stigma for a long time...

I don't think that will be a big problem... Partly because the PC versions always was in the shadow of the 360 version, but mostly because the engine changes all the time as it is developed in-house, which is not something that happens to the same extent with licensed engines. The one we use now isn't really the same as the one used with GRAW2.

On top of that I also think that more people at Grin has started to learn what the strengths and weaknesses of the engine are now, these last 12-18 months have been a big expansion at Grin and everyone had different ideas on how things should be done as they had worked with different engines, so this leads to the artists now creating content a little better suited for the Diesel engine.

But time will tell.

Well, for what it's worth, I tend to likethe gang over there at GRIN, and I HOPE the future is brighter for y'all.

But right now, it doesn't exactly appear that GRIN enjoys the loyalty or respect of folks around these parts.

I'll look forward to seeing Bionic Commando demo. :D

I like the Grin folks, it's just that I want more from a title wearing the Ghost Recon name. I have even enjoyed playing the SP missions even though they had their problems. BUT GR is not just about SP it was about team play and when you can't get your teammates to buy and play the MP then it's wasted money.

• 5 weeks later...