GRAW1 Weapon Picking?

I was thinking today about some way to bring back the weapon picking that was in GRAW1. I personally enjoyed customizing my kit to my playing style and dont really like selecting a kit. I realize that there are many assorted comments and ideas out there so I just decided to make the official 'bring back customization' thread :P

The biggest complaint when trying to remove the kits is that everyone will automatically pick a primary with both a scope and a GL. I propose to set the kit so that on any given weapon, you can only have one of the two. I hope that would help to even out the playing field a bit.

Comments? Ideas? (Am I crazy?)

-BMage

Edited by BMage

Only 1 kit has both a scope and grenade launcher, and that's the M8. I honestly don't see many of those around. I like the kits though, helps bring some balance into play rather than the SCAR-L/Scope/GL, MP5SD/Scope and hand grenades all the time.

I was thinking today about some way to bring back the weapon picking that was in GRAW1. I personally enjoyed customizing my kit to my playing style and dont really like selecting a kit. I realize that there are many assorted comments and ideas out there so I just decided to make the official 'bring back customization' thread :P

The biggest complaint when trying to remove the kits is that everyone will automatically pick a primary with both a scope and a GL. I propose to set the kit so that on any given weapon, you can only have one of the two. I hope that would help to even out the playing field a bit.

-BMage

I miss custom adding a rocket launcher (if theres a tank to take down) or grenades.

I'd give my kidney for the M416 with nothing but a scope and a Front grip...

I mean why do riflemen forgo aiming stability for a silencer?

as opposed to assault that class seems to have its weapons set up correctly (silencer and frontgrip except for the MR-C and M8)

[GR] m/p had the same kind of kit setup that we have now. Pre-packaged kits so to speak. Which I think is fantastic. Leave it as it is.

Good call, I like the kits, it stops this pre loading to the MAX, although others would prefer the weight method.

I'm less than thrilled about the return of kits, but I appreciate a stab at balance. Still, I think some thought about various restrictions like what BMage mentioned would cover all the bases. Other suggestions:

1. Lose the 'secondary' weapon slot - have a rifle and a sidearm. If you're going to use something with a scope, then settle for a G18 if you need to aim in CQB. Am I the only one who finds the whole "rifle and an SMG" loadout a bit silly? I have no RL experience in this, maybe some of the RL soldiers can chip in, but this seems like a lot of weight to carry.

2. Allow for user-made kits to be saved as premade options - some of us might have eccentric kit combinations -it would be nice if we could save a few of these to quickly access in any MP game.

3. Attenuate the differences when certain mods are added on - I think there should be a real advantage to running w/o an underbarrel GL. Maybe this isn't realistic, but balance-wise it could be a legitimate mechanism. Maybe your time to bring up your iron sights is faster or something. With GRAW1, it seemed like some of the differences from mods were negligable. In comparison, in RVS, almost every mod have a tangible effect on a weapon's performance, for better and for worse, and there was a much higher degree of heterogenity in what people were using.

Still, inevitably its a matter of opinion, although I think as a balancing mechanism, predetermined kits are the easiest, and 'coarsest' way to go.

I believe what GRIN is trying to do is, make it so players don't have all the toys in any one kit. By toys I refer to a good semi auto weapon with scope with Grenade launcher with frags with smoke. The key being scopes, as a balancing tool. I for one find it a good idea (not perfect) but it stops all these riflemen going out kitted to the nines with scope's and explosives. ;)

A case of you want, then make a choice.

-BMage

For CoOp leave the weapons and choices up to the players or team leader. For Player vs Player the ability for the server to select which weapons won't be available should be a Must, and more than likely you would never see very many servers that allowed GL's. I have not played Player vs Player yet (love CoOp better) so I don't know if you can or can't do that.