m99 Awareness week

this is strange, in GRAW1 being a sniper meant you got owned alot. GRAW2, means now that you are an asshat. that video was of some guy using the power of the M99 in a counterstrike fashion. I saw no tactics nor skill in that video. everyone was running around nailing everything that moves.

with no repawns, trust me, this topic should be mute. use your life wisely. :hmm:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the .50 or not its part of the game (and damn useful in some Co-op situations) and I think most people get a sense of accomplishment when they bag a sniper in adverse , I just hate seeing it used for spawn raping.

Other than that I am enjoying the hell outta following this thread :) ....pulls up comfy chair and grabs popcorn :popcorn:

Edited by =AO=Stryck_9

Yeah Papa actually nailed it. As a matter of fact, read my sig and you'll see why. Funny that's an SOF truth and you got all these babies whinin about it being to easy to kill with a weapon. You're absolutely right. I think they're trying to get it taken out of the game. I rarely got taken out by snipers in the MP demo. If I did, I'd do what you'd do and change tactics. It's people like that that ruined it for us in SP/COOP. And just to remind you: READ MY SIGNATURE.

Like the .50 or not its part of the game (and damn useful in some Co-op situations) and I think most people get a sense of accomplishment when they bag a sniper in adverse , I just hate seeing it used for spawn raping.

Other than that I am enjoying the hell outta following this thread :) ....pulls up comfy chair and grabs popcorn :popcorn:

Don't be a hog and pass the bowl of popcorn,=AO=Stryck_9...BTW..throw me a beer from that mini cooler next to ya! :thumbsup::popcorn:

Lets gather 'round kids and be amazed. For your viewing Pleasure, here is an informative video on the proper use of the M99 Sniper Rifle. Enjoy!

Link to Youtube

What the heck was that?

Someone is definitely playing the wrong games here? I have yet to play some T v T, hope to the almighty it is not like that.

Tinker

:rolleyes:

*EDIT*

:popcorn:

For the video i have to say... that team really sucked you went after. The admin also should have had at least 5 sec invul on.

But it does show a good point. With a good graphics card and PC like mine... that is exactly how fast it reacts. It's not slow like a sniper. There is no steady hand needed. I think what is needed is just a 1 sec delay added to take it from hip to shoulder, so the sniper has to stop. And that also was a perfect example of what i call shotgunning (the quick shots)

For the video i have to say... that team really sucked you went after. The admin also should have had at least 5 sec invul on.

But it does show a good point. With a good graphics card and PC like mine... that is exactly how fast it reacts. It's not slow like a sniper. There is no steady hand needed. I think what is needed is just a 1 sec delay added to take it from hip to shoulder, so the sniper has to stop. And that also was a perfect example of what i call shotgunning (the quick shots)

Exactly. I just entered a random server and and started hoofing it as fast as I could to the other side of the map to get into the face of the other team. This wasn't a skill video. This wasn't a glory video. This was just a video showing exactly how the M99 can be exploited to be used as a shotgun as you called it. (I describe it like that too when i talk to people on vent ;) ).

The complaint I keep hearing is that snipers are supposed to be tactical. They are supposed to be hiding in spots. They are supposed to be in a bush. They are supposed to be looking for that lucky pick. However this weapon can favor the aggressive player as well. As a matter of fact, its actually more suited for the aggressive player. Merely shooting a players finger will cause him to die. It has near instantaneous zoom. And the quickshot, while difficult at times, is extremely effective at close to medium range.

Guest STI40

Ahh, so when I was TK'd by Morphing yesterday, it wasn't merely a mistaken spot call by Easton but rather done intentionally (as indicated by other responses). No harm as we were spawn raping our opponents anyways. :)

BTW, looking forward to playing on the HOT server. It'll be good times without the noob tools.

SRT out.

Exactly. I just entered a random server and and started hoofing it as fast as I could to the other side of the map to get into the face of the other team. This wasn't a skill video. This wasn't a glory video. This was just a video showing exactly how the M99 can be exploited to be used as a shotgun as you called it. (I describe it like that too when i talk to people on vent ;) ).

The complaint I keep hearing is that snipers are supposed to be tactical. They are supposed to be hiding in spots. They are supposed to be in a bush. They are supposed to be looking for that lucky pick. However this weapon can favor the aggressive player as well. As a matter of fact, its actually more suited for the aggressive player. Merely shooting a players finger will cause him to die. It has near instantaneous zoom. And the quickshot, while difficult at times, is extremely effective at close to medium range.

No one doubts the weapon is effective at range and close range the lift up time is fast, but when used as you demonstrated, it can look (and be) abusive to that point, where anyone inc. you could of taken any scoped weapon. Your real complaint if I may, is the effectiveness of other weapons to wound and not kill is out of proportion to it.

Like was said earlier in this thread, the wound model for all other weapons feels poor, making this one stand out (and the tube). In GR1 the effectiveness of all other weapons were greater and this is what you see, if the single shot from the M99 did not guarantee a kill on hit to any part of the body then it may fall into line with others.

The scope up time looks fast in the video but in a real server (not public bug hunt) the gun is rarely used as demonstrated as the sniper would be deal with. You pet hate is for public servers, where the problem is prevalent, if GRIN slows the pull up speed while run to stance, this is not a big problem for private/ clan servers as its use is diffrent. But to be honest, when things settle down, will you be running and gunning on these type of servers ? I think not, as you seem too knowledgeable to be satisfied with them.

I have never run and gun with the M99 and I use it alot, I normally take cover (number 1), I scout the area, then locate possible targets and try to eliminate them in an order where the first kill does not give the second tango my position.

All I can say is we are in the midst of two communities forming, in which GR1 never really had to contend with. What ever your ideas for a solution, should not impose negative factors on the pro players that love this game for what it really is.

I'm not agreeing, I'm just not disagreeing ;)

I don't really have a problem with it. It is annoying to waxed in a spawn before you can move, but there you go. As has been said earlier good teamwork will help, but that implies you are part of a team. I find smoke, run like hell and dive for cover will give me room to breath most of the time. Then work around them, only in the top spawn of Nowhere is this very difficult and sorry GRIN but that is just a poorly designed map.

As for weight and sprinting when I was young and fit I could run a good 100 yds with a FN mag and Vietnam era flak vest, so there is no need to slow down a player using it. Work with a buddy and no one will use it in close confines because he will get one but the other will get him too, for that matter it would likely work pretty good on open maps too. Just need a volunteer to get their head blown off so the counter sniper an get the other guy.

It is a team game, if we get some voip going with the info posted on where to join a channel I think a lot of this whining will go away.

I guess more of a demonstration is needed. Wait till you fools can't go any direction cause everyone is using it. LOL The only way for an assault rifle to take one out is to hit the head, 3 to the chest and that 50 gunner has probably dropped you. Like they said, in the end everyone will be using a GL to counter it or a 99. And thats not how I want to HAVE to play. If you got skills, you will use and assault rifle and hit heads, and it WON'T matter what gun you use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ONLY REASON YOU WANT IT, IS YOU DON'T WANT YOUR EQUALIZER NERFED. CAUSE YOU CAN'T AIM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. When you see some UcG ladies, ask them to give you a demonstration, no matter what the teams. When 5 of them used that on Lagoon, you didn't leave spawn. You could rush close, but you will be shotgunned. Do we forget it has an auto pistol?????

Lets gather 'round kids and be amazed. For your viewing Pleasure, here is an informative video on the proper use of the M99 Sniper Rifle. Enjoy!

Link to Youtube

Bump.

And who was the one that challenged you to use the 99 on Arroyo? Looks like he can eat his words. :)

That was the best piece of lame video I ever saw,

Lets recap, you or a member of your team going around killing a load of disorganized armatures, you going into the spawn area of the other team to take kills, you demonstrating how easy it is to use a M99 as a rifle, where you had several misses and the opposition were so dumb, that they didn't even hear you running up to there area. No one bothered to tube you? just amazing, how nice, TeamHot.

Lets get the facts straight if you want to use a M99 or any rifle against a load of kids to prove a point then your not making your point very well. When you fight against a true tac team then make your lame video if you can. But we don't do kiddy popping.

Don't try to kid the wise.

LOL why don't we scrim tonight... HOT with M99's vs BDA

Link to Youtube

Bump.

And who was the one that challenged you to use the 99 on Arroyo? Looks like he can eat his words. :)

That was the best piece of lame video I ever saw,

Lets recap, you or a member of your team going around killing a load of disorganized armatures, you going into the spawn area of the other team to take kills, you demonstrating how easy it is to use a M99 as a rifle, where you had several misses and the opposition were so dumb, that they didn't even hear you running up to there area. No one bothered to tube you? just amazing, how nice, TeamHot.

Lets get the facts straight if you want to use a M99 or any rifle against a load of kids to prove a point then your not making your point very well. When you fight against a true tac team then make your lame video if you can. But we don't do kiddy popping.

Don't try to kid the wise.

LOL why don't we scrim tonight... HOT with M99's vs BDA

Thats what we'd call a good ole fashioned MASSACREEEE

this thread has made quite a few good points but it's starting to get personal...let's try to drop that. Apart from that, the video was actually pretty eye opening. I suppose what we need is a nerf to the ability to run full speed and get a 'quickshot' kill or to nerf the ability to run strafing with the scope up and pull off a perfect shot. Possibly have the screen shake when moving while scoped?

No one doubts the weapon is effective at range and close range the lift up time is fast, but when used as you demonstrated, it can look (and be) abusive to that point, where anyone inc. you could of taken any scoped weapon. Your real complaint if I may, is the effectiveness of other weapons to wound and not kill is out of proportion to it.

Like was said earlier in this thread, the wound model for all other weapons feels poor, making this one stand out (and the tube). In GR1 the effectiveness of all other weapons were greater and this is what you see, if the single shot from the M99 did not guarantee a kill on hit to any part of the body then it may fall into line with others.

The scope up time looks fast in the video but in a real server (not public bug hunt) the gun is rarely used as demonstrated as the sniper would be deal with. You pet hate is for public servers, where the problem is prevalent, if GRIN slows the pull up speed while run to stance, this is not a big problem for private/ clan servers as its use is diffrent. But to be honest, when things settle down, will you be running and gunning on these type of servers ? I think not, as you seem too knowledgeable to be satisfied with them.

I have never run and gun with the M99 and I use it alot, I normally take cover (number 1), I scout the area, then locate possible targets and try to eliminate them in an order where the first kill does not give the second tango my position.

All I can say is we are in the midst of two communities forming, in which GR1 never really had to contend with. What ever your ideas for a solution, should not impose negative factors on the pro players that love this game for what it really is.

I'm not agreeing, I'm just not disagreeing ;)

Just because YOU prefer not to use the weapon to its fullest of capabilities does not mean that there is nothing wrong with the weapon. At the same time, Just because some people prefer NOT to abuse alcohol, doest mean that there's not an alcohol problem. I'm sure the entire community is grateful that you are one less person that abuses the M99.

Now Viiiper. Since you seem to think that both of the Other sniper scopes can be abused in the same way as the M99, I challenge you or anyone else to use those weapons as such. To use the weapon in close range, on the run, and fire off rounds quickly to destroy people and go back into hideing. "The Scopeup time looks fast?" The scopeup time is insanely fast when compared to the MSG90 or the M14 after a jog. Believe me. If people had problems with the MSG90 or the M14, we would have heard all about it.

Ahh, so when I was TK'd by Morphing yesterday, it wasn't merely a mistaken spot call by Easton but rather done intentionally (as indicated by other responses). No harm as we were spawn raping our opponents anyways. :)

BTW, looking forward to playing on the HOT server. It'll be good times without the noob tools.

SRT out.

Haha no STI40. Again sorry for that. Easton was drunk and giving a play by play of you and Cooper. So I popped shots off at both of you. He found it quite hilarious. It was all in good fun.

The truth is that if the M99 and GL are left unaltered in the game, then watch as all the servers empty out over time and fewer and fewer people stick around to play GRAW 2. I've been gaming online for 9 years now, starting with the original Unreal Tournament, and if I want to play a deathmatch game with insta-kill weapons then I'll stick with UT or Quake-based games. GRAW 2 is meant to be something different, it's meant to be a tactical shooter, and if the developers forget that, then the game is pretty much going to die.

Im not saying it is css or I want it to be like css, all I said is that 1 weapon will balance the other. You took my whole reply the wrong way. Its a team game and if your team are playing infront of you with their close up weapons, a snipers job is to sit back and takeout what the guys infront of them cant see.... OTHER SNIPERS.

Well.. I'm a casual gamer. I have been since wolfenstein 3d. I play a couple hours a night, a few nights a week. I don't belong to a clan or a group or anything like that. Once in awhile my cousin logs on to GRAW2, and we talked over our cell phones coordinating our attacks. That's about the extent of it. I'm not some hard-core fps nut. I work during the day and once in awhile, I like to escape in a game.

Seeing the m99 video morph put up, I'm going to start using the m99 like that. Why? Because it looks like fun.

Yes, I only play on public servers as do many casual gamers do. True. There isn't much "teamwork" involved in these public servers because ....well... it puts "work" in teamwork. I don't want to work. I work 9 hours a day irl. This is a casual gamer's perspective.

The truth is that if the M99 and GL are left unaltered in the game, then watch as all the servers empty out over time and fewer and fewer people stick around to play GRAW 2. I've been gaming online for 9 years now, starting with the original Unreal Tournament, and if I want to play a deathmatch game with insta-kill weapons then I'll stick with UT or Quake-based games. GRAW 2 is meant to be something different, it's meant to be a tactical shooter, and if the developers forget that, then the game is pretty much going to die.

Im not saying it is css or I want it to be like css, all I said is that 1 weapon will balance the other. You took my whole reply the wrong way. Its a team game and if your team are playing infront of you with their close up weapons, a snipers job is to sit back and takeout what the guys infront of them cant see.... OTHER SNIPERS.

Actually. Theres a pretty big debate about GLs. And in no way shape or form to GLs "balance" out anything to be honest. But that discussion is for another thread.

Well.. I'm a casual gamer. I have been since wolfenstein 3d. I play a couple hours a night, a few nights a week. I don't belong to a clan or a group or anything like that. Once in awhile my cousin logs on to GRAW2, and we talked over our cell phones coordinating our attacks. That's about the extent of it. I'm not some hard-core fps nut. I work during the day and once in awhile, I like to escape in a game.

Seeing the m99 video morph put up, I'm going to start using the m99 like that. Why? Because it looks like fun.

Yes, I only play on public servers as do many casual gamers do. True. There isn't much "teamwork" involved in these public servers because ....well... it puts "work" in teamwork. I don't want to work. I work 9 hours a day irl. This is a casual gamer's perspective.

Yes, and in time the good servers will be still be going just fine. Maybe try some firefights?

I vote yes, pls keep the M99 and the GL, just as they are.

Tinker

:o=

LOL busted ....Hope you aren't a beer snob Papa Canuck beer is good :) especially on a hot friday summer evening

nothing like good 'ol :

lbc_main_bottleShot.jpg

but back on topic, let's keep all the weapons. once no respawn servers show up, then you'll see every weapon has it's use.

LOL. I bet GRiN is reading this thread and thinking .."Hey look. its working. The groups are talking smack. soon they will be competing. they are starting to show their passion for the game ... and soon scrims will replace postings ..... Finally!!!"

Hehe, agreed.

Well, good discussion, I think all the points have been made. I think 99 Awareness Week can end a few days early, unless anyone else has more to say?

BTW, our server is up: TeamHOT Pro Server

Find it, Favorites it.

Edited by Easton

LOL. I bet GRiN is reading this thread and thinking .."Hey look. its working. The groups are talking smack. soon they will be competing. they are starting to show their passion for the game ... and soon scrims will replace postings ..... Finally!!!"

LOL, lets hope they are reading. Only other thing to do is to limit the m99 to 1 gun per squad, if squads are bought back in.