m99 Awareness week

Please inform me on what exactly "balance" you are looking for. Not trying to be offensive, just trying to find out. To me the "balance" to the m99 is that it's near impossible to shoot close range because you can't really see the target(meaning 10-50m) and it is only one shot with a 3sec reload time.

It seems balanced to me, and I wholeheartedly agree with those posters saying there should be a real hit model, like limping, bad aim, falling down when hit, ect, but I think the 1 shot-1 kill for the m99 is well balanced with it's disadvantages.

There were several suggestions mentioned in the first post. Intruducing heavy weapon sway when not prone, increase the time it takes for you to bring the scope up to your eye, as well as limiting the ability to "Sprint" while the weapon is out.

Do you remember this post on page one

Here is a video of the M99 in use at full stance, being fired round after round after round, and this guy is not a Military trained "GHOST". He does not struggle with it's 20+ KG weight. We must have some couch potatoes here ;)

M99 in use at full stance

Get real, you can use this weapon at full stance and fire and re fire it, here Barrett, demonstrate (no a Ghost).

The argument was the M99 in use at full stance was unreal, now it is "limiting the ability to "Sprint" while the weapon is out." You are referring to when it's in your hands and not being aimed? What you forget is all the player models have a weight factor built into them so the lighter your 'LOADOUT' the faster you can move. Do I have to find video of actual soldiers running with the M99 in hand to end this idea?

AS you can see from the video form Barrett (the manufacturer) the guy demonstrating the firing at full stance shows little sway, if sway is factored in for the M99, then so be it for all Rifles to the degree in relation to their weights.

All the arguments for taming the M99 come from your lack of knowledge in countering the weapon. Truth be known I bet Grin already factored in elements to all weapons, after all they do have military experience.

OK just for you, as I know for a fact GRIN will NOT MOD THIS GUN FOR YOU (So you said previously you would be off?). There is a file, that you can mod till your blue in the face and make the M99 on YOUR SERVER as tame as a puppy, but not for me.

in the folder units/weapons

u_barrett.xml

here you can mod all the hell out of the M99

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<units>

<xdefine name="barrett( name_ext )">

<unit type="weapon" name="barrett$name_ext" slot="12">
<model file="/weapons/barrett/barrett$name_ext.xml"/>
<depends_on unit="barrett_mag$name_ext"/>
<script_class name="base" class="BulletWeapon"/>
<stats block="base_data"/>
<stats block="weapon_data">
<var name="ammo_type" value="127"/>
<var name="length_from_root" value="70"/>
<var name="clip_max" value="1"/>
<var name="owner_align" value="primary_align"/>
<var name="public_name" value="Barrett M99-1"/>
<var name="anim_name" value="barrett"/>
<var name="hud_name" value="barrett"/>
<var name="animated_bipod" value="false"/>
<var name="weapon_class" value="sniper"/>

<!-- Objects / Units -->
<var name="object_ejector" value="shell"/> <!-- name of the ejector object -->
<var name="object_muzzle" value="fire"/> <!-- name of the ejector object -->
<var name="object_clip_align" value="mag_align"/> <!-- name of the ejector object -->
<var name="unit_clip" value="barrett_mag$name_ext"/> <!-- name of the casing unit -->
<var name="body_drop" value="main_body"/> <!-- name of the body to activate when dropping the gun -->

<!-- Spread -->
<var name="spread_normal" value="1.5"/> <!-- spread in normal mode + mods affect this -->
<var name="spread_zoom" value="0.001"/> <!-- spread in zoomed mode + mods affect this -->

<!-- Recoil -->
<var name="recoil_normal" value="3.5"/> <!-- spread in zoomed mode + mods affect this -->
<var name="recoil_zoom" value="0.5"/> <!-- spread in zoomed mode + mods affect this -->

<!-- Tripod settings -->
<var name="uses_tripod" value="true"/>
<var name="spread_normal_no_tripod" value="2.5"/>
<var name="spread_zoom_no_tripod" value="1.5"/>
<var name="recoil_normal_no_tripod" value="1.6"/>
<var name="recoil_zoom_no_tripod" value="0.6"/>

<!-- Fire modes -->
<var name="fire_modes" value="1"/> <!-- 1 = semi, 2 = semi+auto, 3 = semi+auto+burst -->
<var name="fire_rate_semi" value="0.1"/> <!-- minimum time between bullets in semi mode -->
<var name="fire_rate_auto" value="0.08333"/> <!-- time between bullets on full auto -->
<var name="fire_rate_burst" value="0.1"/> <!-- time between bullets in burts mode -->
<var name="fire_burst_count" value="1"/> <!-- the amount of bullets to fire in a row in burst mode -->

<var name="fire_offensive" value="1"/> <!-- what thread in SGunLogics this weapon uses when when in offensive -->
<var name="fire_defensive" value="1"/> <!-- what thread in SGunLogics this weapon uses when when in defensive -->
<var name="fire_suppresive" value="1"/> <!-- what thread in SGunLogics this weapon uses when when in suppressed -->

<var name="weapon_penetration_type" value="1"/> <!-- will penetrate walls -->
<var name="weapon_min_range" value="1000"/> <!-- -->
<var name="weapon_max_range" value="15000"/> <!-- -->

<!-- AI -->
<var name="ai_shoot_delay" value="1"/> <!-- normal aim time for ai -->
<var name="ai_reload_delay" value="4.3"/> <!-- relaod time -->
<var name="ai_angle_req_near" value="4"/>
<var name="ai_angle_req_far" value="2"/>

<var name="ai_precision" value="0.2"/>

<!-- Effects -->
<var name="effect_semi_flash" value="barrett_muzzle_flash"/> <!-- muzzle effect on semi -->
<var name="effect_auto_flash" value="barrett_muzzle_flash"/> <!-- muzzle effect on auto -->
<var name="effect_auto_end" value="barrett_muzzle_flash"/> <!-- smoke effect on barrel after auto -->
<var name="effect_casing" value=""/> <!-- name of the casing effect -->
<var name="effect_hit" value="sniper_bullet_hit"/> <!-- name of the hit effect -->
<var name="effect_hit_physics" value="bullet_hit_rifle"/> <!-- name of the hit physics effect -->

<var name="bolt_lockup_time" value="0.03"/> <!-- bolt anim -->
<var name="bolt_fire_start_time" value="0.0"/>
<var name="bolt_fire_end_time" value="0.03"/>
<var name="bolt_eject_start_time" value="0.067"/>
<var name="bolt_eject_end_time" value="0.47"/>
<var name="bolt_chamber_start_time" value="0.7"/>
<var name="bolt_chamber_end_time" value="1.07"/>

<!-- Moddable stats -->
<!-- If you change these values make sure that the same values are changed in weapon_data.xml -->
<var name="damage" value="10"/> <!-- weapon damage + mods affect this -->
<var name="weight" value="3"/> <!-- weapon weight + mods affect this -->
<var name="stability" value="1"/> <!-- weapon stability + mods affect this -->

<var name="fire_sound" value="5"/>
<var name="fire_supressed" value="5"/>

<var name="ai_precision" value="0.05"/>
<var name="ai_fire_until" value="0.5"/>
<var name="ai_fire_until_rand" value="0.5"/>

<!-- Mods -->
<var name="top_mount" value=""/>
<var name="bottom_align" value="bipod_align"/>
<var name="top_mod" value="sniper_scope"/>
<var name="front_mod" value=""/>
<var name="bottom_mod" value=""/>
<var name="grenade_mod" value=""/>

</stats>

<stats block="item_data">
<var name="inventory_slot" value="primary"/>
</stats>
[/code]

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a news page? ;)

Yeh I dunno why I bother, you all just bookmark the forums anyway! :rolleyes:

No way man, news is my first stop. Best way to catch up on any major announcements quickly.

Sorry quick edit as well: Although the topic and debate is entertaining I can tell some are about to loose their cool. Take it to PM's if you have to but I think some of us need to cool down before posting and not turn this into a UBI type thread. I just don't want to see a good thread turn ugly.

Edited by dporter

LOL, you mean watch those servers FILL UP with people who DONT need a nub tool to get kills? You are wrong. And the only reason you or anyone uses that gun is because its the easiest to get a kill with. If they patch the 50cal into crappiness, all the nubes, like yourself, will find the next easiest thing to use. Either way, our server will be full. With or without it.

I do agree with body damage variance.

Jungle map???? The Cut mb?

P.S. Play the game for more than 5 minutes next time.

TeamHOT server will be up in a matter of days. No m99. No GL. All Skill.

Thats what I'm talking about. Ours will be the same, but until then, I'll be in your server.

Do you remember this post on page one

Here is a video of the M99 in use at full stance, being fired round after round after round, and this guy is not a Military trained "GHOST". He does not struggle with it's 20+ KG weight. We must have some couch potatoes here ;)

Get real, you can use this weapon at full stance and fire and re fire it, here Barrett, demonstrate (no a Ghost).

The argument was the M99 in use at full stance was unreal, now it is "limiting the ability to "Sprint" while the weapon is out." You are referring to when it's in your hands and not being aimed? What you forget is all the player models have a weight factor built into them so the lighter your 'LOADOUT' the faster you can move. Do I have to find video of actual soldiers running with the M99 in hand to end this idea?

AS you can see from the video form Barrett (the manufacturer) the guy demonstrating the firing at full stance shows little sway, if sway is factored in for the M99, then so be it for all Rifles to the degree in relation to their weights.

All the arguments for taming the M99 come from your lack of knowledge in countering the weapon. Truth be known I bet Grin already factored in elements to all weapons, after all they do have military experience.

OK just for you, as I know for a fact GRIN will NOT MOD THIS GUN FOR YOU (So you said previously you would be off?). There is a file, that you can mod till your blue in the face and make the M99 on YOUR SERVER as tame as a puppy, but not for me.

Actually, I noticed that there is no noticeable weapons sway if you're not moving. With any weapon. No matter the stance. That, I think, should be changed. Don't really care beyond that though. And while I'm not military trained, I do know that its difficult to keep even a little .22 THAT on target without external support (bench rest, bipod, etc). Enough shooting real firearms has taught me that.

Edited by petsfed

You notice they didn't show the other end of the firing range after he fired the rifle in that video. ;) I used to make a living by shooting firearms in competition and I'm here to tell you that you cannot swing that 23 pound bullpup around and steady it faster than you can an M4 or a .30 cal rifle. In fact, I own a FAL and it swings faster than the M99 does.

MorningJar, how do you explain the many times in GRAW1 where you hit someone with a sniper rifle, and even see blood, but no kill? How do you explain people being able to shoot you around a corner before they appear? I would think it has something to do with lag, or maybe your near perfect netcode.

Plain and simple: Videolag my friend, V I D E O L A G

The recoil is a moot argument seeing as how you have to reload the weapon anyways;)

You must be joking lol - If they make a weapon based on a REAL weapon, every statistic of that rifle should be included, also recoil.

But GRIN didn't, it's not a simulation, every statistic is not recreated, an approximative was created, to recreate the weapon, would scare half of the moaners away for ever :rofl:

What Durka is saying is this M99 rifle is a single shot weapon and the recoil after the shot makes no difference to the next shot as there isn't one. You have to reload the dam rifle to make the next shot. All other rifles in the game are semi or full auto, so recoil will affect the next shot ;)

I think whoever's hosting the dedicated adversarial servers should take the Barrett out of their servers. But if they take it out of the game with a patch, I'll be using the box as a cupholder while I play ARMA or Quake wars. Campaign Coop Online has enough problems as it is so I say keep it in the game but take it out of the adversarial servers.

OK. Honestly. How many people here have actually held the M249? Just try to fire it from your cheek...lol. That ###### is heavy.

It weighs around 26 lbs., of course the MK46 is lighter still...

I still think the M99 is a bit ridiculous for a weapon, but don't rule out USER COMPLACENCY!

If in GRAW or GRAW2, and I get a "CS spurge", tend to run around and not use my cover so well, and then I end up dead.

I can at least say that if you USE your cover, check your angles....then you won't always be .50 cannon fodder. (I'm basing my opinion off the demo too)

The recoil is a moot argument seeing as how you have to reload the weapon anyways;)

You must be joking lol - If they make a weapon based on a REAL weapon, every statistic of that rifle should be included, also recoil.

But GRIN didn't, it's not a simulation, every statistic is not recreated, an approximative was created, to recreate the weapon, would scare half of the moaners away for ever :rofl:

What Durka is saying is this M99 rifle is a single shot weapon and the recoil after the shot makes no difference to the next shot as there isn't one. You have to reload the dam rifle to make the next shot. All other rifles in the game are semi or full auto, so recoil will affect the next shot ;)

Sure, if you say so :)

I see it like this:

M99 w/out recoil when you see 4 tango's in the distance:

pew/kill - reload - pew/kill - reload - pew/kill -reload - pew/kill - reload -- all 4 tango's down (if you know how to snipe gd offc)

Now, M99 w/ recoil when you see 4 tango's in the distance:

pew/kill - reload+aim down because of recoil - etc... by the time you got your 2nd kill, either your tango's are gone, or you are dead

Again, this is my personal opinion.

What a load of horse pooh,

I take it you did not read the script code I posted on this page which shows the recoil value for the M99? it's one of the highest of all weapons in GRAW2 and GRAW1.

You lot need a M82A1 to keep you quiet, the lovely semi automatic version of the M99 from GR1, where no one moaned about that version.

I would like a straw pole of actually how many here played GR1 ? and if so, why was the M82A1 so OK in comparison to the M99? Why do you fear a lesser version of that rifle?

P.S. Edit add:

for C9.Constantine, cos you must of missed this, 4 shots with aim

4 tangos down, real life :o=

full stance shot after shot, here Barrett, demonstrate (not a Ghost).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qnilmqZzCH4

I must really suck because I've never been able to kill 4 guys in a row with an M99 as fast as you say. Not trying to get confrontational, but the point is clearly not being recieved. THE RECOIL ON THE M99 COULD BLAST YOU HALF WAY ACROSS THE MAP AND IT STILL WOULDN'T CHANGE THE FACT YOU HAVE TO RELOAD AND RE-SCOPE TO FIRE AGAIN. :wall:

this all boils down to public servers at the end of the day and people playing with unlimited spawns.

cant wait for clan matching to commence after speaking to the clans we have known for several years and have matched with on a regular basics playing the game types and rules we all like no re spawns and no tdm.

we have no problem with the m99 basically because only a few will use it and do what its intended for sniping from a vantage point and laying still and not running about.

so at the end of the day the m99 will not be banned from any of our servers nor will the gl.

people sit here moaning about the way you can swing the gun around yet what about the support weapons that you can walk around the entire map scoped up so if you want to start getting picky about stuff boys and girls we could pull all the weapon apart for various reasons and have an awareness week every week for each gun.

go team hot

I agree, all the nubs and the clan-less preach to keep their "equalizer." But this game is all about team. And when

the good servers come up and the restrictions are made. All will be happy.

Nubs can stay on official servers with infinite spawns and no skill weapons, foddering each other all day.

While the rest of us will be tactically moving as squads and not firing the m99.... STANDING UP!

GGs.

Looks like about 70 to 30, against. That 70% seeming to be the good players I already know.

Persian

Viiiper

Nutlink

Morphing

Lnwolf

You're all kings. I've agreed with you almost 100%

Yes that's true. I have seen loads of enemy soldiers (TvT) who got through during my use of the bolt to chamber a new round.

I think the issue with most is that, when 60% of the other team uses the M99, then it's a sniperfest. but then maybe a change of tactics is what's needed. dunno, don't ruin my cup of coffee please. :nono:

Personally, I don't mind the m99 that much. If it really really needs nerfed, add a reload time and that's it. However, the noob tube really needs nerfed.. going 20-2 with a noob tube is too easy to attain.

To be honest I have a bigger problem with the "noob tube" as well.

How do you go 20-2 with a nub tube, when you only have 2 grenade rounds. 20-2 would call for some shooting as well I would think.

Lets gather 'round kids and be amazed. For your viewing Pleasure, here is an informative video on the proper use of the M99 Sniper Rifle. Enjoy!

Link to Youtube

Bump.

And who was the one that challenged you to use the 99 on Arroyo? Looks like he can eat his words. :)

That was the best piece of lame video I ever saw,

Lets recap, you or a member of your team going around killing a load of disorganized armatures, you going into the spawn area of the other team to take kills, you demonstrating how easy it is to use a M99 as a rifle, where you had several misses and the opposition were so dumb, that they didn't even hear you running up to there area. No one bothered to tube you? just amazing, how nice, TeamHot.

Lets get the facts straight if you want to use a M99 or any rifle against a load of kids to prove a point then your not making your point very well. When you fight against a true tac team then make your lame video if you can. But we don't do kiddy popping.

Don't try to kid the wise.

I think some are trying to force what they want on the game ie, get the M99 removed. my simple answer, the long and the short:

IF you get owned by a sniperrifle, and I have been pwned myself but, you need to change your tactics. it isn't the weapon that has the skill, but the user.

Lets gather 'round kids and be amazed. For your viewing Pleasure, here is an informative video on the proper use of the M99 Sniper Rifle. Enjoy!

Link to Youtube

Bump.

And who was the one that challenged you to use the 99 on Arroyo? Looks like he can eat his words. :)

That was the best piece of lame video I ever saw,

Lets recap, you or a member of your team going around killing a load of disorganized armatures, you going into the spawn area of the other team to take kills, you demonstrating how easy it is to use a M99 as a rifle, where you had several misses and the opposition were so dumb, that they didn't even hear you running up to there area. No one bothered to tube you? just amazing, how nice, TeamHot.

Lets get the facts straight if you want to use a M99 or any rifle against a load of kids to prove a point then your not making your point very well. When you fight against a true tac team then make your lame video if you can. But we don't do kiddy popping.

Don't try to kid the wise.

Again. As always, you miss the point here. Not every player is part of a "true tac" team. As a matter of fact, well over 90% of the people that play this game are not part of a "true tac" team. And I hate to break the news. But I've had the exact same results playing against entire groups of clans in various servers. Ghost has already admitted to that.

no one is professing world domination here... the players on our Graw2 team have not won much....

Not according to Jar. He told me specifically that you guys were world champions at GR. I asked when they were held because we were on two ladders where we held first place and (sigh) we weren't invited. ;)

Like I said, a bit of smack talk is fine w/me in servers. It's the behavior of 3 of your members tk'ing teammates which disturbs me most. Disturbs me mainly because it's hard to believe that someone that ignorant is able to function in society.

Now now Ruggbutt. Lets not put words into peoples mouths. "I told you specifically" that TeamHOT is a top clan in the world and has won championships in a variety of games. Specifically.

Edited by MorphingJar

I think I missed your point all along, so you are saying the M99 should be changed because the majority of the players that play and support the GR series are armatures ( "As a matter of fact, well over 90% of the people that play this game are not part of a "true tac" team." )? and not part of any type of group/ community where they can progress to a higher level?

Well if that is/ was the case then I am in the wrong, but that's where we differ, I believe that 90% of the community are part of some sort of group/ community and do aspire to higher levels. Only the new comers are not part of any group/ community.

The few freelancers I bet would claim to be part of some sort of community?

Being part of a "True Tac team" can vary in degree but the concept is the same for all, most are here because of it.