SSAFA battle with NIMBY neighbours

TheoRetiKule

Gentlemen, I hope this doesn't sail too close to the wind of Rocky's "no political discussions" rule - but I thought you'd be interested in this story affecting wounded British Forces people and their families...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

... which I discovered on another board where I'm a member ...

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13526

As one poster there said, this wouldn't be happening in America: I think it's a disgrace that it's happening in the UK. If this situation hacks you off as much as it does me, here's the link to an online Downing Street petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Headley/#detail

:hmm:

Theo

Edited by TheoRetiKule

Some people never fail to amaze (and disgust) me.

Here in the States we have a religious cult that travels cross-country and protests at fallen service-members funerals, cheering their deaths, insulting their family members.

Some people never fail to amaze (and disgust) me.

Here in the States we have a religious cult that travels cross-country and protests at fallen service-members funerals, cheering their deaths, insulting their family members.

How is this religion of ###### called?

"wheelchairs would present a fire hazard"? This I got to see. How is it possible?

• 2 weeks later...
"This is just the wrong place and the wrong property," he said. "Some are concerned - in these awful days when these ghastly terrorists go after the softest targets - about the security situation."

That was the the best bit :rofl: ....... Prat :dunce: .

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this - the alterations have been approved by the local council.

A local council showing some common sense for once! :P

Indeed: result!! Just received this from 10 Downing Street:

"On 2 August 2007 Mole Valley District Council granted permission for the planning application MO/2007/0863 that had been submitted by the Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)(new window) Forces Help. The application was for a change of use of a house in Grays Lane, Ashtead, Surrey, in order to provide accommodation for families visiting injured relatives at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court which is nearby.

On behalf of the Government, the Defence Secretary, Des Browne, welcomed the Council's decision and commented that "We are delighted that Mole Valley District Council recently granted permission for SSAFA's proposed development. The Government will continue to work together with SSAFA to make best use of this new facility."