Server browser feedback and bugs

Post your feedback regarding the ingame server browser to help GRIN improve it. If you have found bugs please list them as well.

Here is my list:

Feedback/issues:

• No filters to limit displayed servers

• Server information does not show if AC is enabled or not. This is a problem for players running mods. They do not know if a server will let them play or not without wasting time attempting to join it. If filters were available in the server browser this might not be as big of an issue.

• MODDED server show the same in the server browser. I do not believe modded servers should be shown with unmodded or differently modded servers. This allows players to consistently see ONLY servers that running the same mod as the player and there is no way for players to attempt to cheat or inadvertently take advantage of other players in a server. This helps to keep everyone in a server on an even playing field regardless of the AC being enabled. It also eliminates guesswork in determining if a player is cheating. If they have abilities or weapons that others in the server do not have, they shouldn’t be in the server – If they were never given the chance to join, it would never be a question. In the short term, a flag for a modded server to differentiate it from stock serveers and server filters could help with this but IMO are not the solution only a workaround. This is how MANY other games handle modded servers in their server browsers and GRIN would do well to emulate it.

• Diable the Automatic Reload of server browser when ever a player returns to it or exits a server. Because of the poor performance of the update and locking all operation and input by the player, the server browser should not automatically update. Player should manually update. Normally, I would be supportive of this feature, unfortunately, because of the poor performance of the update and the way it locks out any user interaction for up to 30 seconds, it should be changed. Games like BF2 changed their server browser after release because of similar behavior. This is particularly noticeable when you attempt to join a near full server and it’s full by the time you click on join, only to have to sit through another update and lock up. Or when you exit a server, to quit the game, you don’t have an option to quit directly and have to sit through a full browser update until you can hit the back button in order to exit – other wise it’s MUCH faster and less annoying to just hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and end task on the game.

• Server browser needs to be optimized and should not lock user out while updating which can be VERY slow at times and take many seconds up – I have had to wait up to 30 – I thought my rig had completely locked up but I waited just in case and sure enough it finally released. See above for more reasons to optimize.

• Direct join by IP or at least allow the creation of a Favorite by entering in the IP address. While not a solution to circumventing Gamespy, it can allow for finding of temporary server that are not listed in the server browser or updated properly showing (see below).

Bugs:

• Server list does not show or update all servers. Some will show as offline, or not be on the server listing at all. The workaround for not listing is to already have the server in your favorites. If it's not, you are SOL.

of you sort the servers by players, it doesnt sort the highest amount of players first or last, it sorts it by how many people are allowed into the server. The AC this would be nice to see as well.

Yea. this is a simple programming error that they can easily fix.

If you look closely, it is being sorted by the denominator (number of players allowed on the server), not the numerator (the number of players actually on the server).

Edited by Sleepdoc

The server browser is horrible. It needs serious work. For one, let us filter. Do not automatically update. Allow us to refresh one server. If I'm waiting to get in a server let me refresh that server to see if a slot has become available!

And why do the last servers that get refreshed have pings in the thousands and when I join I'm only like 200?

Ugh.

Whenever I click on the "Server Info" tab on the server list and decided not to join by clicking back the game automatically updates the list of servers. Sometimes this can take several seconds and it's kind of annoying (like trying to sort the servers by players). It's not a big deal, but I know a few people who would love it if this was changed in a patch.

[Merged with Browser feedback thread]

Edited by Pave Low

Whenever I click on the "Server Info" tab on the server list and decided not to join by clicking back the game automatically updates the list of servers. Sometimes this can take several seconds and it's kind of annoying (like trying to sort the servers by players). It's not a big deal, but I know a few people who would love it if this was changed in a patch.

Yep agree, also when you exit out of a server you press esc, on the next screen the "abort" should read "dissconnect". Even better if you press esc in game you should get the list of servers come up with a "dissconnect" button. The amount of times ive exitied out of a server and said to myself "what was that server ive just played on?"

i had my bundle opend yesterday to look for the dam.... and i joined a server, but my files were not in order....

we were on team speak and i asked if he (server) had company, he said no but it showed 2 players

then i refreshed and still two players.

i quit to fix my files and try to rejoin the server still having 2 players

but he was alone in there, i join and still i messed up in my file structure

so i refresh and see three players on that server again i ask and no one is there in the server but the host.

i go out of the game to look up what is giving me the map not found error, and i look in the folders and see i had some thing wrong that i totally over looked, i did not have the dam folder yet inserted ... go figure....

i now have that folder and go to server screen, 3 people on the server...

i ask but no one is there but the host...

so maybe the map thing or being unbundled is wrong or some times the amount / attempts to log in /join a server do register but not get updated

maybe only in unbundled versions...

Why is a server browser so hard for a well experienced studio to figure out..

one needs to only look at the steam/source browser for CSS and implement that (its brilliant btw comparatively) and its so f-ing easy to do.. no 3d objects, no complex 3d math coding, its just a damned server browser...

get it right