GRAW 2 + GRAW 1 dedicated on same box problem

We are getting client synch issues when we run both servers. If we shut down GRAW 1 dedicated it clears up. GRAW 1 is running on core 3 (4th core) and GRAW 2 seems to be running on cores 0 and 1. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues.

These are both COOP server BTW if that makes a difference.

We would like to run both if we can. If we can't we're going to have to make a choice of one over the other and with the limited map selection right now, GRAW2 isn't looking as good as GRAW for variety.

We are running GRAW2 strapped to core2 GRAW1 strapped to core1 and ArmA on cores 0 & 3. We use fire daemon pro 1.9 to run all exe as services on a 2003 SP2 box. We are not having any problems but we are running GRAW1 not installed (copy folder) and GRAW2 not installed (copy folder).

more info if you need it.

BeerDrinkingAssassins.

P.s. (for GRIN) we would like to change the port from 16250 for GRAW2 so we can run 2X GRAW2 but alas it's not possible with alot of other things. Please give us the open port ability. ;)

This is rediculous! We were planning on sending out a box for co-location and splitting the costs with another clan so we can both have our own servers. I guess that's put on hold. So many simple to fix restrictions which seem to benefit absolutely nothing.

Edited by GHOST_Sup

eye same as we upgraded our single core server to a dual core server so we could have 2 dedis running side by side,

mainly to the fact when graw 2 takes off and some gaming ladders are running when we have a clan match we can still use the other dedi room for those that arent playing.

looks like i could of got a new gfx card instead now dam it

GRIN has made no official statement, but a little bird told me, the issue is the "PORT" locking of GRAW2 to the gamespy client for data transfer of CLAN STATS etc. The problem is Gamespy wants all GRAW2 games to be on PORT 16250 and that creates a big problem for the whole community as clans with on multicore (core 2 & core 4+) boxes (servers) can not host more than one instance of GRAW2.

Each instance of GRAW2 can exist as long as the communication port for each instance is diffrent (look at a port as a door way out of your machine), no 2 programs can use the same door way (port).

GRIN need to offer the community the ability to make the game flexible and this includes changing the GAME PORT. With diffrent game ports one server could host an instance of GRAW2 on Multiplayer & a second instance of GRAW2 as co-op. As it is now, we can not do that, so co-op will die for the good of multiplyer.

A last thought is besides the port issue, the game needs the ability to add servers via I.P. (direct IP) and not only via game spy, I have nothing against gamespy logging in for users, but the restriction of no direct I.P. game addition leaves only 3rd party programs, like "Hamachi". This is a ridiculous situation and I believe GRIN know it so, but will things improve?

viii

GRIN has made no official statement, but a little bird told me, the issue is the "PORT" locking of GRAW2 to the gamespy client for data transfer of CLAN STATS etc. The problem is Gamespy wants all GRAW2 games to be on PORT 16250 and that creates a big problem for the whole community as clans with on multicore (core 2 & core 4+) boxes (servers) can not host more than one instance of GRAW2.

viiiper, you have more then one IP to the server? Can you change the IP and use the same port?

That's really too bad. Not only is it hurting people who have invested in Box's but it's also going to hurt the typical clan that wants to rent a server from server companies. I'm sure the server companies will make it expensive to compensate for the fact that they can only run one GRAW2 server per machine. It really sounds politically motivated to me, as Gamespy is dictating what GRIN/UBI can or can't do as per their agreement.

viiiper, you have more then one IP to the server? Can you change the IP and use the same port?

Now that's a pretty good question.

Unfortunately I have not found a way to force GRAW2 engine to go out on one of the other IP's that we have, but the main issue is many only have one IP and a multicore box so I'd rather have a solution to help all servers. We use "fire daemon 1.9 pro" and we can not get the system to push to a diffrent port or IP with it.

The simple solution is for the game to unlock the default PORT like GRAW1 did via the server xml script file.

Unfortunately I have not found a way to force GRAW2 engine to go out on one of the other IP's that we have, but the main issue is many only have one IP and a multicore box so I'd rather have a solution to help all servers. We use "fire daemon 1.9 pro" and we can not get the system to push to a diffrent port or IP with it.

The simple solution is for the game to unlock the default PORT like GRAW1 did via the server xml script file.

Sounds simple enough... GRIN?

GHOST_Sup

for rental companies, its not as big of an issue as you may think it is... they DONT have to run a dedicated box just for GRAW 2, most will run GRAW 2 and a handful of other game servers (bf, CSS, etc..) yes at this time you can only have one GRAW 2 server on a box but can host other games... im SURE rental companies figured this out already :)

not only that, but the prices i have been seeing for GRAW 2 rentals are much more in line then a full dedicated box..

2.50 to 3.50 a slot is what im seeing..

The issue here is not that we rent by slot or that we want one GRAW2 server per box, but that alot of clans, rent the whole box, a multicore box and with this situation (because it was the most affordable) we are left with no solution to host a second instance of GRAW2 for (lets say) Multiplayer Co-oP. Now this is a problem, we already pay $300+ / month for our box and to get a second box for a co-op of GRAW2 is ridiculous. Our box can host 4 full games, we currently host 2x ArmA, 1x GRAW1 & 1X GRAW2 but want to move one ArmA off and put on a Coop GRAW2, which is impossible due to the PORT issue.

viii

$300 for 64+64+32+32 slots = 192 slots

$300 / 192 = 1.56c / slot ;)

The issue here is not that we rent by slot or that we want one GRAW2 server per box, but that alot of clans, rent the whole box, a multicore box and with this situation (because it was the most affordable) we are left with no solution to host a second instance of GRAW2 for (lets say) Multiplayer Co-oP. Now this is a problem, we already pay $300+ / month for our box and to get a second box for a co-op of GRAW2 is ridiculous. Our box can host 4 full games, we currently host 2x ArmA, 1x GRAW1 & 1X GRAW2 but want to move one ArmA off and put on a Coop GRAW2, which is impossible due to the PORT issue.

viii

$300 for 64+64+32+32 slots = 192 slots

$300 / 192 = 1.56c / slot ;)

understood...

Grin? :ninja:

hey stop hijacking my thread! ;)

Viiper, I'm wondering if it's a resource issue at this point with the RAM and all the other game servers we have running. We also have TS, 2x RvS. I think we're pushing our luck with 2GB RAM as that I have already seen the GRAW2 coop peak at nearly 600MB usage and the GRAW1 server definitely sits at 500+ all the time. I'll try to do some more research and see if I can narrow it down.

TheGamerPlanet.com is a place i go to play friom time to time becuase they a e good guys and they run no respawn GRAW1 [GR].

They tried to run their GRAW1 server and GRAW2 server the other night at the same time on the same box.

It was readily evideit that the CPU saturation cuased by the GRAW1 server was the issue. Go to their TS server and speak with a guy named BAT21. He knows quite a bit about this issue.

What we saw .....

It was evident that the ability to process hits were greatly delayed. We would shoot a guy, see the blood splatter, then wait for as long as 2 secods before they would fall and die.

pretty much all events that required a graphic to confirm the event were greatly delayed. Once BAT21 turned off the GRAW1 server, everything went back to normal.

his comment, as I recall, was that the CPU utilization of GRAW1 was 100%, and that the CPU utilization of GRAW2 dedi server was about 40-50%. They simply cannot coexist....

Edited by Sleepdoc

That is my experience as well. One of the things that I need to test is limiting the GRAW2 server to one core and see if that improves. I can do that by a simple bat file to assign the application to once core. I believe by default it attempts to share the load with at least one other core. On our server core 0 is around 40% while core 1 rises about another 5 to 10% when starting the server. I don't know if it's also attempting to load any other cores on the quad core. I have assigned GRAW1 to core 3 (4th core) and it does go to 98-100%.

Sleepdoc how much RAM and what other appliations are they running, do you know?

Sleepdoc how much RAM and what other appliations are they running, do you know?

Here is the TS server IP for theGamerPlanet.com

BAT21 is the guy to ask such questions too. and now that you mention it, I also recall someone (maybe BAT21) talking about possibly manipulating cores to seperate utilization adn get shared capabilities .... just what you are talking about.

In any case, go talk to BAT21. He is a striaght up nice guy and I'm sure would welcome the dialogue.

I will also let him know about this thread when I catch him next nd point him toward you.

Sleepdoc

or you can do it via task manager and set the infinity on that game.

thats the way viiper showed me anyway

Graw 2 didn't particularly like it when I did that with the demo and would crash if I attempted to change the affinity after the application was launched. I used an application to launch it on only one core, it worked just fine but with a higher impact on the core. I haven't really tried it with the dedicated server but will give it a shot tonight. Still, the taskmgr set affinity doesn't help with an auto restart script as that once the application restarts it defaults back to all cores unfortunately. You have to use a 3rd party application to force it to startup or restart on specific cores.

@Sleepdoc,

Thanks, I'll look him up when I get the chance. :thumbsup:

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

hey stop hijacking my thread! ;)

Viiper, I'm wondering if it's a resource issue at this point with the RAM and all the other game servers we have running. We also have TS, 2x RvS. I think we're pushing our luck with 2GB RAM as that I have already seen the GRAW2 coop peak at nearly 600MB usage and the GRAW1 server definitely sits at 500+ all the time. I'll try to do some more research and see if I can narrow it down.

We run 4GB on win2003 SP2 (1gb per core) all dedicated

Core affinity works with Dedicated graw2 (use a $30 program like "fire daemon" to launch as a service).