Ghost Recon.net Forums

Quad vs Dual Cores

For those of you deciding on a CPU for a new system:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/807/807197p1.html

July 20, 2007 - There was quite a debate about the benefits of Quad vs Dual cores for gaming at VE, so we decided to ask Epic Games' Main Man and Lead Programmer Tim Sweeney for his take on the situation.

VE - Assuming you were making a new rig to run today and tomorrow's games, which CPU would you recommend at the $266 price point? A Quad-core Q6000 2.4GHz or Dual-Core E6850 3.0GHz?

Tim - If you're buying a CPU primarily for gaming, the sweet spot of the market seems to be dual-core. There, you can get a higher clock rate than is available (at least economically) in quad-core. All UE3 games, for example, scale really well to two cores, and you get significantly more performance than single-core much of the time. Though UE3 and many other engines scale somewhat to 4 cores, the benefits aren't huge.

That will change in a couple of years, but that's another upgrade cycle.

If you plan to do heavy level-building and mod making, I'd recommend quad-core. The development tools scale well to quad-core, having lots of content authoring apps open in Windows benefits from quad-core, and if you're going to be running a dedicated server on your machine to test a mod while also playing on that machine, it helps for that.

Quad cores run a lot hotter than dual core at there stock factory speeds from what i gather, so if you intend to overclock say a Q6600 2.4ghz to around 3ghz you gonna need a very decent cooling system. I got a e6600 and i overclocked it 333x9 = 2997mhz i can go 334x9 =3006 and i could go higher i reckon but it's the heat issues, the cpu will idle about 44C and load of about 50-55+C @3ghz and higher temps, depending on room temperature, i had to spend extra money on a thermalright ultra-120 so that was like well over £240 when i first got the e6600. I have seen the q6600 for £176 so that is tempting but i don't know if the ultra 120 is up to decent cooling though for the quad6600 and i would say you would have to overclock a quad core 6600 to match e6600 at 3ghz when gaming.

But it is worth doing some homework on quad core, there is a 95w energy efficient edition C2Q Q6600 "GO Stepping available soon if not already, some interesting reading on quad core cpu's here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17756370

Wow, I just upgraded my motherboard to a Winfast C51MCP51 with an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ and now they have computers that have four processors. :o

I was hoping my new upgrade will carry me thru until atleast 2010.

Quad cores run a lot hotter than dual core at there stock factory speeds from what i gather, so if you intend to overclock say a Q6600 2.4ghz to around 3ghz you gonna need a very decent cooling system. I got a e6600 and i overclocked it 333x9 = 2997mhz i can go 334x9 =3006 and i could go higher i reckon but it's the heat issues, the cpu will idle about 44C and load of about 50-55+C @3ghz and higher temps, depending on room temperature, i had to spend extra money on a thermalright ultra-120 so that was like well over £240 when i first got the e6600. I have seen the q6600 for £176 so that is tempting but i don't know if the ultra 120 is up to decent cooling though for the quad6600 and i would say you would have to overclock a quad core 6600 to match e6600 at 3ghz when gaming.

But it is worth doing some homework on quad core, there is a 95w energy efficient edition C2Q Q6600 "GO Stepping available soon if not already, some interesting reading on quad core cpu's here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17756370

Negative. Stock cooler... 37-38degrees celcius. 43 when playing GRAW2. This is stock clock also. For overclocking i hear the dual can go higher... but only when comparing both with liquid cooling solutions.