Mission 10: The Last Stand

The insertion point here is just plain stupid. If they want you to play it alone, they should send you in alone. It's like a bad save point in game where you really shouldn't have saved it.

I had trouble in the last mission because my men died and I had to kill the two helo's on my own. Personally the AI in this game (and GRAW) are mostly useless anyway. I use them as decoys most of the time, LOL.

I think I could keep them all alive if I could make them all go prone instantly. Is there a way to do this? It seems like in [GR], the team would mimic your posture, so if you went prone, they all would.

Move them to the busses and keep them low. I managed one time to take down the guard post (I agree, why the hell are they on the Texas side???) then moved on, but now I had to redo it since GRIN decided to add a helo (Two!!) so we can blast away again. I remember I had a Gamemaster who always had some sorta cyber-ninjas as enemy. Eventually we just made fun of him because it was the same old, same old enemies. I fear I have to feel the same way about the Havocs. It's getting old and old fast with the same repetitive enemies. Even if you bring along a Zeus, it feels like it's totally unimaginitive, and couldn't think of like tanks or so. Even the two Mariines doesn't seem to be a help. I mean seriously, did GRIN really do research for this mission? And how did the Mexicans manage to take over a border post anyways, and why are they facing south? I can see if A) the Mexicans take the guard post, and B) the Ghost team retakes it over, then it's the Ghosts vs. the Mexican Army, but for the future do it right :thumbsup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psycho Dad, whats needed on this mission is your chicken launcher from GR1. The rebels would think it's dinner coming at them then BOOM! :rofl:

Yeah! Right on Bro! Maybe I can mod a Chicken Launcher for GRAW2, although I should call it a Pollo Launcher, now that the Ghosts are in Mexico!

Oh well, time to try the bridge again...nothing like reload...reload...reload...reload...etc...

EDIT: Oh brother, is that the truth. I got to the toll booth, but now going back to the other side is worse. The .50 cals can pick you off in one squeeze of the trigger (I can't hit crap when I'm on one!) My only beef right now is the distance limitations. I can see the .50 cal gun, but it's unmanned. Then the guy just appears and mows me down. The same with the RPG on the roof. I can see the building fine, but as soon as the merc appears, he spots me and starts firing.

This game was so much fun up to this point. Then they go and do what every other game in the world does. At the end, you make it a super hard, throw everything at you, you have to do it perfect, ending. I just hate the reload-reload-reload, stuff. Sucks all the fun out.

Back to the bridge....

Edited by Psycho Dad

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. There has to be a level of challenge, but at the same time don't make it a walk over. BTW if I'm more than 200m away from something, I can clearly distinctly see it. The distance rendering (or just scale really) is just shoddy as at that range, well, I wouldn't need a sniper rifle.

But to give you a hand Psycho Dad, you gotta inch forward first until you see the gunner. Once you see that, snipe him as best as possible, as you can hit his head on the top of the shield if you aim right (I used an Aimpoint) or go for the "U" By that time the two .50s on the left will maybe try and chop you up but if you do it right, you won't have to worry about it. But the key is not setting them off, as they can see through the fence and you're just meat. By then you should also see the sniper on the right hand side just past the gate on the roof (I wish I could take a screenie but the distance rendering issues....). The key thing is just getting to the 18-wheeler. One you get there, go to the right, and you'll just see the left edge of a Mex M1. Don't use the Zeus, use Artillery, target it, and that's it. There should still maybe be a sniper around, go around to the right, he'll be on the left on the building across to the left on the roof. Get him and that part is over with.

You'll be told the location of the rebel camp (which natch, is where you know what is) and a Panhard will come around, blow it up and go to the camp. The rest is fairly easy but your AI can mess things up as well, which is what mine did a few times.

The rest as said, is pretty self explanatory. Double check your ammo, and head on in. The only real gripe about the ending, is that there's alot of unnecessary drama at the very end, which is when you're locked, cocked, ready to rock, they want to run a soap opera. Let me get the job done and let me go!

But to give you a hand Psycho Dad, you gotta inch forward first until you see the gunner. Once you see that, snipe him as best as possible, as you can hit his head on the top of the shield if you aim right (I used an Aimpoint) or go for the "U" By that time the two .50s on the left will maybe try and chop you up but if you do it right, you won't have to worry about it. But the key is not setting them off, as they can see through the fence and you're just meat. By then you should also see the sniper on the right hand side just past the gate on the roof (I wish I could take a screenie but the distance rendering issues....). The key thing is just getting to the 18-wheeler. One you get there, go to the right, and you'll just see the left edge of a Mex M1. Don't use the Zeus, use Artillery, target it, and that's it. There should still maybe be a sniper around, go around to the right, he'll be on the left on the building across to the left on the roof. Get him and that part is over with.

Thx man...That is one nice thing, the .50 cal gunners CAN be taken out from the front with the right shot. I'm sure I'll get past it, but right now it's reload-get shot, reolad-try again...etc.

EDIT: Just finished it. The trick was to inch toward the .50 just until it becomes visible. Then nudge a hair until the guy is visible. In single shot mode, cap him.

Also, the very last part near the nuke is not to bad, you have to make a good run, and it will take you a few times.

Finally, What's with the ending credits you can't ESC out of??? Don't forget we paid for this thing, and if I want to see who empties the trash in the GRIN office, I'll watch them, but don't force me to shut the task down to stop the credits.

Edited by Psycho Dad

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh, are we supposed to see a movie at the end?

I made it out, out on the streets and then it just ends with the mission results page....

I think it's depending on your relative position when the timer ends. Like when I finished it, I managed to make it to the bottom of the last stairs. Then it showed the cutscene where "I" step out of the flames, and Lt. Rosen says he's coming for me. Whether I "died" or just due to wounds, collapsed, not sure, but I figure if it shows the NARCOM, I'm "alive" but burned up very badly. But it didn't say otherwise and played the ending movie, so I guess I was successful.

Right, so here is what I don't understand: I started this mission after the first patch (1.02, I think) was released, and had absolutely no trouble getting to the US side of the bridge. My teammates stayed where they had been dropped, and I sneaked forward, picking of tangos with my m416 (why 416, and not just m4 or m16?). After the second patch (1.04), I have not had a single attempt (now about up to 20 or 30, no exaggeration) where 1) at least one, if not all, of my teammates die, and 2) I die if I do not have a sniper rifle. I know that the patch should not have changed the mission, but that is the only difference between the times I've played it. It is ridiculous. Why didn't the designer just send Mitchell in alone, and give him oodles of artillery and air support? (By the way, the difficulty setting is on 'easy'.

• 4 weeks later...

Might be a glitch or bug cause for me there was an explosion and then Mission came out, barely able to stand and then just collapsed and Rosen came up and said something like "Don't worry you're going home soldier" Then we lifted off in a helicopter and the credits started to roll. Then I got up with my popcorn and soda and exited the theater LOL.

It should only show if you played in campaign mode. In "play mission" and Campaign Coop there is no ending as it's quite long.

Hi,

I looked through the MP settings and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a Campaign Coop going so a buddy and I can go through it together online. Do I need to create a dedicated server for that option?

Eric

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive the dead, but:

Whenever I insert at the beggining of this mission on Hardcore, my number 2 guy dies immediately...

Lone wolfing the mission seems pretty doable, but I prefer to get it done with the entire team, as it is "supposed" to be done... I mean, usually I try to fire as little as possible and use my fireteam as my weapon...

Is there any way to avoid having your #2 man die immediately?

Is there any way to avoid having your #2 man die immediately?

Rewrite the mission, and send the AI's (both friendly and enemy) back to boot camp. OH YEAH, and teach the door gunners on that MH-60 to actually FIRE the weapons. THAT sort of thing...

Not much that YOU, the player, can do. Keep restarting the mission until #2 gets lucky once.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've made it out of the building when the EMP goes off, but I never get the cutscene that folks above describe. It just jumps to the end mission screen. I've tried various tactics and the best one seems to be best is to hit the X to target the missile when you're about to leave the silo.

That gives me plenty of time to get out, but as I'm running through the upper portion where the APC is, I notice that the "safe area" marker is now above my head. I continue to just head out of the building, but the EMP drops and my mission ends.

If nothing else, I'd love to just play the final cutscene/credits manually, but can't seem to find it/them in the movies directory.

I guess I'm done, but talk about anti-climatic! :blink:

thanks for any tips...

The cutscene is part of the mission script, so you won't be able to view it manually without editing the mission. It doesn't matter if you stay by the missile or make it out, you get the same cut scene, so if you want once you target the missile just stand there and wait for the end.

The cutscene is part of the mission script, so you won't be able to view it manually without editing the mission. It doesn't matter if you stay by the missile or make it out, you get the same cut scene, so if you want once you target the missile just stand there and wait for the end.

So in my case, no matter what I do, the mission just ends. No cutscene, no closure, no denouement...

oh well... thanks for the reply. :cheers:

@NoQuarter: thanks for the link. My search didn't reveal it.

@GRIN_Wolfsong: I had been playing in campaign mode up through Mission 10. I may have restarted the level, which triggered the M10 intro cutscene where you fly over the border stations. Would this have put me into single mission mode? I could go back and try an early save to see how they turn out.

thanks all...

Mission 10's end-cutscene play's once you've laser marked the nuke in the base and have attempted to run out ofthe bunker, i got to like 26 meters away and the place went up in flames, but i still got the end-cutscene of mitchell just making it out.

I however did find mission 10 to be quite hard, but i was playing on Normal difficulty, and the 50 cals were annoying as i had no snipers on my team, my support and demo guys died in the first minute, and i double teamed with my rifleman for the rest of the mission. i had a Rx4 w/ combat scope, zues, glock and nades, and he had a Rx4 w/ combat scope, zues and glock.

If we could set intervals for our guys to pop out of cover to give a bit of covering fire.. that would be amazingly helpful on mission 10, cus the snipers and 50 cal's LOVED to shoot me even when my team was further infront of me.

Edited by dudbomb

Mission 10's end-cutscene play's once you've laser marked the nuke in the base and have attempted to run out ofthe bunker, i got to like 26 meters away and the place went up in flames, but i still got the end-cutscene of mitchell just making it out.

I however did find mission 10 to be quite hard, but i was playing on Normal difficulty, and the 50 cals were annoying as i had no snipers on my team, my support and demo guys died in the first minute, and i double teamed with my rifleman for the rest of the mission. i had a Rx4 w/ combat scope, zues, glock and nades, and he had a Rx4 w/ combat scope, zues and glock.

If we could set intervals for our guys to pop out of cover to give a bit of covering fire.. that would be amazingly helpful on mission 10, cus the snipers and 50 cal's LOVED to shoot me even when my team was further infront of me.

Yeah, no matter what I do, no cut scene. I made it clear across the street and still no cut scene.

Well the cutscene isnt all that great

BEWARE: SPOILER FOR END GAME SCENE BELOW!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if you stand by the Nuke or try to run out, you get the video, all it is, is You Cpt Mitchel, barely run out of the building as the F16 fires the warhead at the nuke to disable/destroy it, you get like 3 feet out of the door, collapse and on your inter-com you can hear that annoying old dude say Hang in there son: blah blah blah, MEDEVAC! etc...it kind of sucked to be honest, i wanted to see Mitchel's ass get blown up, thats why on my second go just now i stood by the Nuke and shot at it to waste the rest of my ammo.

But you see, that's the problem. No matter what I do, no cutscene. Nada. Zip.

I understand that it's no great finale. It's become more of a strange quirk now that I'm trying to understand. Seems like a strange bug to have in the game.

I'm wondering if there is some interaction with "restart" that inhibits the final cutscene/end credits.

thanks...

• 2 months later...

Keep in mind that this mission success depends on you and you alone. Don't count it on your teamates. They are useless after protecting the US border station. They get killed very easily.

For this mission you will need to carry M99 sniper rifle. Conserve your amunitions. Use one bullet per enemy. After you drop to ground from the chopper, instruct your teamates to hide behind the school bus and away from the big guns in the gun nest. Now only you doing the shooting. Use your M99 sniper rifle fo shoot the RGP on the roof top of the US boarder station, then hide an peek and shoot the rest of the bad guys in the gun nests. After all the gun nests are clear. You can then instruct your teamates to follow you slowly out of hiding and neutralize the rest of the bad guys. Now look for a RX4 rifle carried by one of the dead enemies. Exchange your M99 Sniper rifle for the RX4. Then you will need to move inside the US border station. Peek through the window that facing the Mexican side. Wait until the Humvee comes to a stop. Use the grenade launcher on the RX4 to grenade the gunner on top of the humvee. That grenade should kill most of the pessengers too. Kill the rest of the bad guys. After you secure the US border, direct your teamates's attention toward the Mexican side of the border as you move quickly to the front of the school bus. Go prone infront of the school bus and kill any enemy that rushing toward the US border. Kill the rest of the enemies. ***Now it is IMPORTANT that you move back to where you left you M99 sinper rifle. Exchange for it then move back past the school bus and hide infront of the truck. Wait for the chopper to fly past you toward the US border then shoot it down. Now you can intruct your teamate and the marines to follow you. Be patience in this mission. First move slowly take all those enemies on the roof top on the right and left side of the bridge on the Mexican side. When that is all clear, inch slowly on the right side of the bridge and kill the gunner in the gun nest in the middle of the bridge. After the gunner is kill, move into the center divider and go prone. Push forward slowly and kill all the enemies on the Mexican side including the RPGs straight ahead on the roof and the gunner in the gun nest left of the Mexican border station.

When you move past certain point, the tank will show up on the Mexican side. Now you need to hide behind some barrier and call for bombing of the tank. The tank is history. Move forward slowly and zooming on the flat roof top on your right. Kill that gunner. When the gunner is out of the way, you can sing your way all the way to the Mexican border station. As soon as you get to the Mexican border station, switch to your MP5 SD rifle because bad guy are rushing to the station. From this point on it is just like any other missions, use common senses. Good luck on your mission accomplish!!!!!

*** If you shoot down the chopper before getting your M99 sniper rifle, it is gone and you are stuck with the RX4 rifle which is useless from this point on***