Thanks Ubisoft, CD not Required

There was so much complaining (rightly so) about Starforce in Ubisoft games a few months ago, that it's only right some thanks is thrown Ubi's way for saving us the hastle of having to having to look out the GRAW 2 disk to play.

FREEDOM w00t!!

I'm on my second GRAW disk so it's a bit of a relief to know I won; thave to buy another GRAW 2 disk due to wear and tear.

100% with you on that one, Install GRAW2 and then put the DVD away, it's the best idea. Starforce and all those idiotic ideas that kill DVD & CD drives have not come to GRAW2, Thank you Ubi for a change.

I loved it form the moment I realised I could pack away my DVD too.

I wonder if the negative publicity surrounding "CD required" methods finally filtered back to the people who maek the big decisions?

It may be as simple as UBI figured out their sales would be relatively close in numbers with or without the CD required protection, but the community ill will might actually cost them more.

Im starting to notice that alot of games of coming out without any CD protection, which is great because fully installing a game and then still needing the CD in just to make sure you bought the game sucks (in other words, pirates had it better).

Hope Ubi continues this :).

There was so much complaining (rightly so) about Starforce in Ubisoft games a few months ago, that it's only right some thanks is thrown Ubi's way for saving us the hastle of having to having to look out the GRAW 2 disk to play.

FREEDOM w00t!!

I'm on my second GRAW disk so it's a bit of a relief to know I won; thave to buy another GRAW 2 disk due to wear and tear.

Actually it wasn't just a few months ago, it was easily over a year ago. GRAW 1 didn't use Starforce either, it used SecuROM. Ubi stopped using Starforce after a class-action lawsuit was filed against them because Starforce caused slowdowns and security/hardware issues. Now all recently released Ubi games have used SecuROM (SCDA, R6V, GRAW). The last game to use Starforce from Ubi was either Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, or Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII I believe.

I gotta admit I've been saying this for years. If you have a game that is focused on multiplayer than leave the cd-protection out and use online authentication, its so much more user friendly whilst still giving pirates the middle finger. Sure there will be some losses but whats the cost of the protection in the first place? Surely its better to save that cash especially when the protection is bypassed before the game even hits retail 90% of the time. If people want to steal you program they will....

If you cant beat 'em then why waste $200,000+ (conservative estimate) on a worthless pursuit??

Good Job All Round UBI!!!

(I didn't think I'd ever say that again)

If you have a game that is focused on multiplayer than leave the cd-protection out and use online authentication, its so much more user friendly whilst still giving pirates the middle finger.

That's basically the reason why Ubi has removed the disk check on GRAW 2 - it's primarily a multiplayer-focused game, and they know that.

I doubt games with strong single player will have the disk check removed, as it actually works in preventing a lot of casual piracy (e.g. friends giving each other copies of the game). Surprisingly enough not everyone knows where to get a [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7].

But games which are mainly multiplayer can and should have the disk check removed, as really most people have to be using a legitimate serial number in order to play online, so the disk check is redundant. Let's hope this trend continues for multiplayer games at least.

Im sure it wouldnt have taken UBI long to see how phucked up Starforce was - the concept was good for copyright security which is a valid issue (who wants their hard work ripped off for nothin'), but the Starforce execution was bloody awful.

good riddance.

and not needing a disk to load GRAW - didnt even realize, but awesome.

thanx

FREEDOM w00t!!

I think this is one reason Direct 2 Drive was so compelling for me. But wouldn't you know, the best of the two GRAW's really settled things down. :)