Beat this!

OK, bragging time:

I love the semiautomatic sniper rifle in GRAW 2 and put it to good use in the first mission. Here's what came out of it:

graw2mission1hs6.th.jpg

I really don't know who spotted me or where - I would have loved to have 100% stealth as well. Anyway, could anyone from GRIN please explain why I didn't get an "S" rating for the perfect mission?

thanks a lot!

the mission on youtube:

Edited by Buzz314

Wow, great job Buzz, that must have taken an age!

Share some tips..... :notworthy:

Yeah, it took some time, but it isn't that hard once you know where your enemies are likely to be. The first part, up to the rebel camp, is rather easy. Then, once you have the drone, just take good note of all the tangos in the camp - you can take them all out from afar without actually getting close enough for them to notice you.

Taking out the ADATS without the guys hiding in the caves noticing you is by far trickier - crawl up to them on your belly, turn on night vision and try to make out their silhouettes - if you get any closer, they'll notice you most of the time. This is what it should look like: (you gotta look really close, but you can see the guys upper body, G36 and helmet)

contrastat0.th.png

Once that is done, the worst part is over. The guys on the other side of the bridge will come in 2 waves - the first one before the chopper arrives and the second one after that. Try to kill at least 3 of the guys that try to cross the bridge before the helo appears and do not let them cross. Then, take your time and take the remaining ones out - one by one, it's really not too hard.

I tried this mission with the 416 and ended up with an accuracy of about 80% - the 416 is just not made for long range head shots, so I decided to switch to a bona-fide sniper rifle.

I've recorded the mission with FRAPS, but it would take me some time to convert and upload the vid to youtube, so if you guys are interested, let me know and I might to that tomorrow (european time)

cheers,

Buzz

I've recorded the mission with FRAPS, but it would take me some time to convert and upload the vid to youtube, so if you guys are interested, let me know and I might to that tomorrow (european time)

Actually, it was on my mind to create movies showing how to fully complete each mission, that would be really cool, so if I can help, lemme know - PM me.

dont use the barret as its too loud.

pick somthing with a decent scope and a silencer.

also change you fire rate to 1 shot and u will learn that u cant run and shoot as well, meaning u will become more stealthy and make u a better player.

about making videos with Fraps. dont u think that its going to take up alot of harddrive space if you record the whole mission (which could take upto 2 hours if you like to be careful)

im intrested of helping out as i would say im quite a good co-op player (its all i play) and good at pointing out what needs doing on a map.

Edited by Galea

dont use the barret as its too loud.

pick somthing with a decent scope and a silencer.

also change you fire rate to 1 shot and u will learn that u cant run and shoot as well, meaning u will become more stealthy and make u a better player.

Too loud?! I want them to come get me! :devil:

Edited by Agent Smith

G' morning folks,

thanks a lot for your input!

about making videos with Fraps. dont u think that its going to take up alot of harddrive space if you record the whole mission (which could take upto 2 hours if you like to be careful)

im intrested of helping out as i would say im quite a good co-op player (its all i play) and good at pointing out what needs doing on a map.

Yeah, it DOES need a lot of HD space. Fraps stores the vids in some raw format, and eats gigabytes for breakfast. You need about 4 GB for about 6minutes of gameplay - that's why all my fraps videos go onto an external 250 GB drive. I thought about using a different recording tool, but couldn't find a free one.

I'm at work now, but I'll try to convert the vid tonight and upload it - bad thing is youtube won't allow files bigger than 100 MB or longer than 10 min, so I guess I gotta split it up. I've had that problem before, but had a friend of mine help me with that since I'm truly a newbie to video capturing/editing. About all I can do by myself is press record and stop ;)

Another bad thing about fraps is that it can't handle files bigger than 3.9 GB or about 5-6 min of recording. Once the file reaches 3.9 GB, Fraps creates a new file and fills that one up. So your 20 min gameplay is broken into 5 or so seperate files. Each time fraps changes files, I noticed a "hiccup" in the recording- a one second glitch or so. I guess that comes from my computer being too busy closing the old file and opening the new one.

So if you guys know a better, freely available vid recorder, please let me know!

I'm sorry but the whole concept of 'acheivments' makes me sick. The console world has been over run with it and i hope it doesnt start to permiate the PC gamesworld and cause games to be configured around the persuit of achievments. It could happen if 'ms live' takes off on the PC.

It's just too much like little kids delighting over little gold stars in primaryschool. I see 'achievments' in games in the same way as i see people who list their 'Rig specs' at the end of every forum thread they post on.

Ok, if you see the achievments in GRAW1 as a kind of high score thing then that's ok in one game but when it starts to get endemic it's just creepy. For the same reason i dont carry sillylittle coupons from every coffee and book shop i frequent and fret about whether or not i'll miss out on getting a little stamp if i happen to visit a none participating coffee shop. I get the feeling that the 'Achievment's fever that is over running planet Xbox is detracting from a persons plain enjoyment of just playing the game. It's almost like everyones got OCD all of sudden.

Well, I gave it a try and had the exact same score!

graw2m1ik7.th.jpg

I wonder how to get those last two percent in stealth. :hmm:

The trickiest guy was the one in the cave with no ADAT. I ended up throwing a smoke grenade in there, that allowed me to just walk in there and take him out without being spotted.

Anyway, could anyone from GRIN please explain why I didn't get an "S" rating for the perfect mission?

thanks a lot!

Curious about this too. I've gotten "S" on a couple of missions whith pretty mediocre ratings in both accuracy and stealth, so I really have no idea how the ranking is calculated.

I'm sorry but the whole concept of 'acheivments' makes me sick.... I get the feeling that the 'Achievment's fever that is over running planet Xbox is detracting from a persons plain enjoyment of just playing the game.

If the achievement ranking at the end of the mission is not of interest, then just ignore it.

Far from detracting from the enjoyment, a lot of people find it ADDS to the enjoyment, it certainly adds to the games longevity. Once you've completed a mission the first time, what's to do now apart from move on to the next one - unless there are achievements to go back and try and improve on.

achievement ranking

No complaints here. Working with a team in MP Campaign, this little extra has already slowed me down considerably. It`s not run n gun. I like knowing who was the best Mr Sneaky! Makes me try harder to keep out of sight, while doing the job right too. My 2 cents anyhow.

Tinker

Yeah i guess it depends on what pleases you. I recognize that for some completists or those that just want to get something extra out of the game then in some ways achievements can be a nice added touch.

I guess i'm just a bit raw about the way the industry patronises the hell out of the console kiddies and don't want that mentality to take over the pc games world. I mean seriusly, it's big news when a console comes out in a different color? A whole culture set up around achievements as it is on Xbox live etc?

I know Microsoft are making a move on the PC games industry, they might not take it over but i believe they are trying. If they get there way then every pc game will necessitate a 'paid' subscription to their live service if you want to play it online. Might seem paranoid now but just wait a few years. They arn't putting so much effort into 'Games for Windows', 'Live' and 'Vista only' games for no reason. Microsoft are the Borg of the PC games biz.

Anyway so whenever I see Xbox culture transforming anything PC games related i worry a bit.

I'm sorry but the whole concept of 'acheivments' makes me sick. The console world has been over run with it and i hope it doesnt start to permiate the PC gamesworld and cause games to be configured around the persuit of achievments. It could happen if 'ms live' takes off on the PC.

It's just too much like little kids delighting over little gold stars in primaryschool. I see 'achievments' in games in the same way as i see people who list their 'Rig specs' at the end of every forum thread they post on.

Ok, if you see the achievments in GRAW1 as a kind of high score thing then that's ok in one game but when it starts to get endemic it's just creepy. For the same reason i dont carry sillylittle coupons from every coffee and book shop i frequent and fret about whether or not i'll miss out on getting a little stamp if i happen to visit a none participating coffee shop. I get the feeling that the 'Achievment's fever that is over running planet Xbox is detracting from a persons plain enjoyment of just playing the game. It's almost like everyones got OCD all of sudden.

Its only ranking!!

you only get the satifaction of knowing you did the mission at the best possible level.

i havent unlocked anything or even added score to my name, it just there to say u were a good player.

i understand where your comming from as i have a 360.

all its doing on the pc verion is pointing out what you did well in the mission. whats wrong with that?

Hi!

At first I thought the LEADER special achievement would have something to do with using your team members efficiently. As I understand, Buzz & Co. who achieved all the ranks cleared the mission solo. Not much leader skills needed there :P

(Then again, they're just names for the ranks. Also, some might think good leadership is getting your team back in one piece = teammates catching ZzZzZs while the leader takes out the whole camp alone :ph34r: )

It would be interesting to hear how the special achievements are calculated. Grin?

-LecKzi

Hi!

At first I thought the LEADER special achievement would have something to do with using your team members efficiently. As I understand, Buzz & Co. who achieved all the ranks cleared the mission solo. Not much leader skills needed there :P

Yeh that's true, I thought the game was keeping count of your orders and your squads kills and using that for the leadership score :(

finally, here are the videos. I apologize for the delay! Sadly, the youtube quality is not what I had hoped for, but see for yourselves:

you might also want to check out this one (graw 1):

Feel free to comment!

Edited by Buzz314

Hehe, there's something going on in Part one at 6:06, one second you are infront of the fence going up a slope to the camp, the next second you are back up the road. This means the headshot at 5:41 is actually repeated near the end.

Still, great movie, gonna watch the other ones now...

Check this out - Hume has 69 kills on Codename: Farallon!

I played as a sniper team - only me and Hume, both with silenced M14s (and an SRAW each for the confrontation with the choppers). Unfortunately, because of the way GRAW2 records how your team performed, the kills are not individuated, and it states that I lost both Beasley and Jenkins on this mission, but I can assure you that neither even got on the chopper.

I myself only scored 22, and my accuracy is terrible. The reason for this is mainly that I was making reaction shots should Hume have been flanked. The AI are tremendously effective in moving up on a position, and you really NEED to cover your men if they're engaging in force.

One thing I must say, though, is that Hume is a pretty poor sniper. He needed two shots on most kills, and even on shots he should have made comfortably, from all sorts of ranges. I've tried each and every rifle with him, all with different attachments, and he nothing seems to be able to make him be able to make a decent shot most of the time. Allen, in the first GRAW, was almost godlike in his railgunning prowess with the M99. I found myself pining for his skills! Please, GRIN, if you can, increase Hume's accuracy!

farallonoa7.th.jpg

S rank is here :P

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/3089/graw2ss04uj6.jpg

Load out: M14 silenced w/ scope, MP5SD w/ sight, M9sd, frags

Drop point A

1) kill the two guards patrolling near the wooden fences (best when they turn their back at you)

2) dont approach the town, instead go uphill following the path on your left near drop point A

3) pay attention to the satellite map and kill the 2 guards uphill, then stay low and kill the 3 guards around the truck (dont drop down from the hill)

4) take out the m14 and the out the guard up on the watch tower, then maneuver along the roofs to take out the guards on the town ahead of the tower (below the adats)

5) drop down and approach the town from the left until you trigger the event that gives you the drone

6) with the help of the drone, take out the guard patrolling along the bridge and the remaining guards in the area below the adats. pay attention that 1 guard from the adat caves may patrol down the hill

7) position the drone so that it has visual to the 3 caves. the cave nearest should have 1 guard, mid level has 1 guard + 1 adat, highest one w/ 2 guards + 1 adat

8) maybe its my skil but i find killing the guards hiding in the caves difficult. fortunately the drone will tag the enemy for you and you can just spray bullets around the marker. of coz a frag will do the job for you

9) plant the c4 and blow the things up. BUT do not blow up the last one yet

10) take out the guard below the bridge and go to the machine gun nest. place your teammate behind the road blocks and have them scan the sector opposite to the bridge (recon+cover)

11) blow the last adat and man the machine gun. this will trigger the last event and enemies will be approaching the bridge. 1st wave from the left, then from the right and also an enemy helo. since the machine gun will not count into your accuracy, so just spray and blast them all!

12) if you have extra frags/gl, destroy the vehicle on your right after crossing the bridge. then go down the bridge and complete your last objective. if you have been stealthy enough you will probably not get hurt and so as your teammates, and also you have 1 less area to clear (as long as you dont go near the town before getting the drone) but still you will get rank S.

S rank is here :P

12) if you have extra frags/gl, destroy the vehicle on your right after crossing the bridge. then go down the bridge and complete your last objective. if you have been stealthy enough you will probably not get hurt and so as your teammates, and also you have 1 less area to clear (as long as you dont go near the town before getting the drone) but still you will get rank S.

I bow my head ! Awesome. I guess to get the S rank, it's either necessary to involve your team, i.e. let them kill one or two guys OR to blow up an APC on that mission. BTW, the mission outline you gave is exactly the approach I used, except my team stayed at the drop zone and I did not take out a vehicle.

Anyway, really nice work!

I did it! But look at my ranking, what a shame :hmm: Has to do something with savings or it's just another bug? :o=

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z207/Maks_H/Graw2.jpg

looks like your teammates got injured - I really suppose the ranking has to do with how good a use you make of your team. If they get killed, you'll receive a bad rating, if you go lone wolf, the highest you can get is an A since the game punishes you (GRIN's way of telling you: It's a squad-based shooter, g'dammit). If you let them take part in the action, the S rating is possible.

Just an observation....