Ruin Enlists

Ruin

Many of you have known me for many years. After years of waiting, and months of planning, I have finally joined the Military.

I went to the Knoxville MEPS yesterday and enlisted into the North Carolina Army National Guard as a Private First Class, soon to be, Cavalry Scout (19D). It's taken months of work to get here (losing 25 pounds, and mounds of paperwork) and it's finally happened.

I leave September 11 for Fort Knox, KY where I'll be in OSUT for 17 weeks and 6 days. I should come back in the middle of January and be back in school here in NC afterwards. My unit is about 8 hours away, it's going to be a crazy long drive, but I wanted 19D.

I have my first drill weekend this weekend near home in the Recruit Sustainment Program that the ARNG offers, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

Thanks to all of you for your support, wisdom, and guidance while I searched for my place in the Military (you know who you are ;) ).

Anyway, just thought you all should know.

Thanks you two. I appreciate it. I'm excited. This waiting is going to drive me nuts.

Lol, use the time wisely mate, get as fit as you can both physically and mentally and find out as much as you can about what your about to go through, once you get there the less you have to say and the more you listen will go a long way... ;)

Thanks again to everyone. It's nice to have some support, as Whisper said, in this day and in our current state of affairs.

It's good to see some older names (how ya been Firefly?) stopping by and showing support.

I go to my first drill weekend for RSP (Recruit Sustainment Program) this weekend. It's about 30 minutes away from here. We'll be doing land navigation. What a great starting lesson for a future Scout huh? I'll report back Sunday PM or Monday AM.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

Many of you have known me for many years. After years of waiting, and months of planning, I have finally joined the Military.

I went to the Knoxville MEPS yesterday and enlisted into the North Carolina Army National Guard as a Private First Class, soon to be, Cavalry Scout (19D). It's taken months of work to get here (losing 25 pounds, and mounds of paperwork) and it's finally happened.

I leave September 11 for Fort Knox, KY where I'll be in OSUT for 17 weeks and 6 days. I should come back in the middle of January and be back in school here in NC afterwards. My unit is about 8 hours away, it's going to be a crazy long drive, but I wanted 19D.

I have my first drill weekend this weekend near home in the Recruit Sustainment Program that the ARNG offers, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

Thanks to all of you for your support, wisdom, and guidance while I searched for my place in the Military (you know who you are ;) ).

Anyway, just thought you all should know.

oh OSUT, one station unit training. that's what I had when I went to FT Benning back in 1987. OSUT was the Army's way of saving money by doing a soldiers training all in one place...oh those were the days. :hmm:

hey ruin, do they still have the COHORT training? this was, back in my day a new concept, whereby you trained with the same guys you met at MEPS. This guy scott and i went to Basic,AIT AND strangle to our first duty assignment together.

Edited by Papa6

Thanks again to everyone for their well wishes. :)

Papa6,

That's exactly what OSUT is. That's what I'm doing. I haven't heard of COHORT so my guess is that they ditched it.

I did meet an old DS at my bar last night that was with an "experimental group" of when they moved from Training Cadre to Marine Corps style Drill Instructors. Looks like that "experiment" was a roaring success. :D