is there a Ghillie Suit in GRAW 2?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, say that again!! So there is a ghillie-suited sniper for GRAW2? Great find Mirr!

Can you give some more detailed instructions on where/how to do this? Are there alternate versions of any other characters?

Are there alternate versions of any other characters?

Why of COURSE there are, little camper! It turns out that during the course of developing this game, GRIN went to great lengths to ensure that no stone was left un-turned in the search for the perfect characters. Here's a little taste of what MAY lie within YOUR copy fo GRAW2, hidden...

Mitchell- there was an alternate model created and extensively tested for Scott Mitchell which had him wearing a skirt. (He tried to pass it off as a kilt, but we all know he wasn't Scottish- even Mel Gibson does a better fake accent) That one was canned after the developers' efforts with physics collided with decency- they couldn't keep his skirt from flying up and exposing his knickers when he did the butt-slide, and the ESRB rating had to be preserved. NO SKIRT in the official retail...

Ramirez- First, there are about 18 different text scripts to this game, including most of the permutations of Ramirez's first name and rank. It was never settled in GRAW whether he was an E-7 or an O-3. Only one General knew for sure, and he was arrested at the end of the game. And the GRIN folks were also asked by Ubisoft to play with a Ramirez character model with an arm in a sling, and to play with various skins depicting him still recently wounded/scarred from Mexico City. After all, he was 'severely injured' according to 'Bud' the traitor. Stuff don't heal overnight. This got complicated when they also had to create an entire new set of movement constraints for characters based on them being wonded- limping, dragging a bad arm/leg, dizziness, and so on. It's apparently IMPOSSIBLE to simulate injuries in a first-person shooter, so you got the plain & healthy CPT/SFC/SSG/MSG Joe/Jose/Henry Ramirez. Enjoy it.

Gomez- an attempt to placate the minorities with a replacement token for Ramirez- a hispanic female character whose family story would have included a black/jewish grandmother, and two gay brothers. Just to make sure we covered all the bases. She didn't make the final cut due to some back-and-forth between Ubisoft's legal department and the NAACP- Al Sharpton threatened to visit France, and the whole issue was dropped like a hot potato. Even THEY can't stand the guy...

Brown- yes, THAT Brown. The Texan trailer park king from GRAW was considered for a comeback. Problem being that while his mustard-stained wife-beater shirt and mismatched snakeskin boots were perfectly appropriate for 98% of the male population of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, they weren't very convincing as tactical gear. His character was left for dead in the annals of GRAW history, where he would meet his fate as a victim of Emperor Ontiveros' arbitrary nuclear hissy fit.

PAC clerk- every unit has to have them, even SF types. This one's an office jockey, much similar to the 'Geez I wish I was out ther ewith the shooters' guy from GRAW. In his case, he simply couldn't accrue any dirt on his uniform at all. He was just along to get his Combat Action Badge, because he needed the extra awards points to promote to Staff Sergeant. Someone owed someone a favor, as the story went, and this guy was added. Really he didn't have access to jack for kits and such, but he had this special ability (by pressing the '$' key) to COMPLETELY jack-up an enemy's military pay and personnel record, sending that AI NPC or Player into uncontrollable fits of rage during which he cannot be harmed by conventional weapons, but also can do no harm to any character in the game. It's just fun to watch.

NEO- completely the brainchild of the ever-intimidating (think of the paperboy from 'Better Off Dead') GRIN_1337Boi, this character is a 4-foot-tall kid with a Blackberry, two Wii paddles, and a long black leather coat. He had a few new built-in animations for dodging bullets, but as the character also required animating-in some hand-to-hand (which we all KNOW the SF guys don't mess with) techniques this one was eventually ditched. Four dedicated GRIN development team members were sacrificed to appease him. The model's still in there.

The GRAWtrix has you.....

there's a 2nd version of Hume with a ghillie suit in the game. (ag_Hume)

you can edit the world_info files and add him to your campaign candidates

or change the ghost_templates to use this one by default.

I only have the demo but I did find the stuff you're talking about, BUT I can't open the bundle with Nemon's bundle reader. Ok, I can open the bundle but then the game won't run :wall:

Anyone else had this problem?

I'll be back with the crash log.

EDIT:

Crash in application version: 0.2637

c:\src\src\branches\graw2\dieselx\source\utility\Archive.cpp(2166) Cannot open cache c:\program\ubisoft\ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 demo sp\bundles\quick.bundle => error code 0x5: Access denied.

I think I've opened the bundle before with no problems but now it just won't work.

Edited by Hockeystick

I did see references to "ag_HUME" in some of the xmls. It does seem like there are two versions of him.

I tried adding him to some world_info.xmls. I unbundled the "Levels" folder and added a new line in the xml with ag_HUME as an option under the standard Hume. Then I went and set compile scripts or whatever it is at the botton of the config.xml to "true." But no dice. Still not working. I'm sure I just missed something small. Do I need to unbundle everything in the quick.bundle?

i thought the "snipers" in the game were actually "marksman". so if that would be true there would be no need for ghillie suits. other than that: is there any advantage to ghillie suits in the game (besides mp)? i suppose in sp it wouldnt have any affect.....but not sure.

there's a 2nd version of Hume with a ghillie suit in the game. (ag_Hume)

you can edit the world_info files and add him to your campaign candidates

or change the ghost_templates to use this one by default.

I only have the demo but I did find the stuff you're talking about, BUT I can't open the bundle with Nemon's bundle reader. Ok, I can open the bundle but then the game won't run :wall:

Anyone else had this problem?

I'll be back with the crash log.

EDIT:

Crash in application version: 0.2637

c:\src\src\branches\graw2\dieselx\source\utility\Archive.cpp(2166) Cannot open cache c:\program\ubisoft\ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 demo sp\bundles\quick.bundle => error code 0x5: Access denied.

I think I've opened the bundle before with no problems but now it just won't work.

It's the same method as GRAW1: You extract the bundle and work with the individual .XMLs, then move the edited .xmls into their respected folders in your Local/<your language here> folder.

Didn't this always mean, in GRAW, that the game loaded the entire level (I'm talking SP/COOP here) and THEN all the mod/extra content from the local directory, instead of just loading the mod content from local in lieu of it's respective files from vanilla?

For instance, I've experienced almost DOUBLE the load time in GRAW lately (don't have GRAW2 demo yet) running Brettzies M16A4/M4A1/Mk 12 mod. It's WORTH the wait, I assure you, but nonetheless the load times are HUGE, and I seem to recall some early talk in the GRAW days about this subject...

I have no idea why that's relevant...

Didn't this always mean, in GRAW, that the game loaded the entire level (I'm talking SP/COOP here) and THEN all the mod/extra content from the local directory, instead of just loading the mod content from local in lieu of it's respective files from vanilla?

For instance, I've experienced almost DOUBLE the load time in GRAW lately (don't have GRAW2 demo yet) running Brettzies M16A4/M4A1/Mk 12 mod. It's WORTH the wait, I assure you, but nonetheless the load times are HUGE, and I seem to recall some early talk in the GRAW days about this subject...

I have no idea why that's relevant...

I can be because the mods in the local folder are not bundled. Bundled files are much faster to load.

Not that that mod in particular overrides that much, only a few XML files I would guess.

I did see references to "ag_HUME" in some of the xmls. It does seem like there are two versions of him.

I tried adding him to some world_info.xmls. I unbundled the "Levels" folder and added a new line in the xml with ag_HUME as an option under the standard Hume. Then I went and set compile scripts or whatever it is at the botton of the config.xml to "true." But no dice. Still not working. I'm sure I just missed something small. Do I need to unbundle everything in the quick.bundle?

open the ghost_templates file and change @Hume to @ag_Hume in the soldier section

at the bottom for any of the missions you want.

you do not need to compile the xml's after you made some edits.