weapon icons in planning menu

wp_group01.jpg

I can see where you put the icons and can edit the weapon_icons.xml to point to the correct place on the bitmap, but I have no idea how to get the game to know when to use them. I added two pistol icons and adjusted the code, but they don't show up when I pick the pistol. Just blank. Seems like there must be some other xml or code triggering them to show up. Is this compiled into the dxe's or something? Or is it something simple that I'm missing?

hey.. did you look at the file under the gui folder called "weapon_icons.xml"?? I think that might be the xml you are looking for. It seems to have everything about those icons that you need.

EDIT: Also make sure to put the m16 under the trigger select number 5 for semi and burst shots only :)

Edited by Evilducky

hey.. did you look at the file under the gui folder called "weapon_icons.xml"?? I think that might be the xml you are looking for. It seems to have everything about those icons that you need.

uh, yeah, that's what I said in my post, but thanks anyway. I'll see about 5 also. Sounds good.

Anyone from GRIN want to take a "stab" at how to get these bitmap icons to work. Or just flat out say it can't be done via xmls only, so I don't waste my time. Thanks.

uh, yeah, that's what I said in my post, but thanks anyway. I'll see about 5 also. Sounds good.

Anyone from GRIN want to take a "stab" at how to get these bitmap icons to work. Or just flat out say it can't be done via xmls only, so I don't waste my time. Thanks.

I'll tell you honestly that I haven't got a clue. Haven't looked at the weapon implementations at all.

uh, yeah, that's what I said in my post, but thanks anyway.

Oh snap you did.. haha, I read this one when you posted it, then the other one later, and completely forgot that you said you already looked there. hahah sorry.

Edited by Evilducky

EDIT: Also make sure to put the m16 under the trigger select number 5 for semi and burst shots only :)

Hmm, I tried that, it still as full auto as an option, only it starts on single shot, then 3 round burst, then full auto.

I'll tell you honestly that I haven't got a clue. Haven't looked at the weapon implementations at all.
Alright. Thanks for the reply. Keep your eye out if you can : ) I don't think I'm going to mess with it too much for now.

gui/weapon_icons.xml

This file appears to have no impact on mods. The actual code inside indicates it is how you tell the game which bitmap icon to use in the kit selection, but it also appears to be hard coded into the game - at least for the demo.

For instance, if you change the below lines to either point to another texture file or different coordinates, or even delete them, the game will still always display the same icon:

<bitmap name="mk45" texture="data\textures\atlas_gui\atlas_wp_select\diffuse\wp_group01" uv_rect="@div(150, 256) @div(250, 512) @div(90, 256) @div(50, 512)" size="105 50" />

<bitmap name="mk45_silencer" texture="data\textures\atlas_gui\atlas_wp_select\diffuse\wp_group01" uv_rect="@div(150, 256) @div(300, 512) @div(90, 256) @div(50, 512)" size="105 50" />

Not sure if the full version is any different. My guess is no, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Nope, it seems to be a no go. I tried altering the file so that the beretta instead of it's proper icon should have the MK45 icon...and it changed F all.

Even tried altering the .xmb file to see if that would make a difference but did nothing aswell.

On a side note...I'm getting more and more mesh problems here with the weapon models, and they wary in severity from time to time. Just looks like there's something wrong with the skinning as I get vertices "popping" out in all kinds of weird directions :unsure:

Nope, it seems to be a no go. I tried altering the file so that the beretta instead of it's proper icon should have the MK45 icon...and it changed F all.

Even tried altering the .xmb file to see if that would make a difference but did nothing aswell.

Darn. I tried similar experiments with no luck either. Thanks for checking it out though. So close yet so far.

Not sure about the skinning issues. Maybe try just doing a skin_root with no other anims connected?

Brettzies, that wouldn't happen to be an M240 in that pic of all the weapons would it? Cause if you put that in the game, that would be suhweet. Make sure it's the M240E6 cause that's the lightweight version of it that uses a titanium receiver block. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun

It is the MAG 58 (aka M240 in the US). It was planed for the full release but was removed due to mission animations that there was no time to fix.

I've told Grin_Straha about your problems, who is the main weapon guy for GRAW2. Hopwfully he can drop by and shed some light on this.

If he doesnt' I'll just hunt him down on the SoldF forums and squeeze the information out of him there, shouldn't be hard to squeze it out of an amf1 ambhibian like him :P If I remember right he even tried to recruit me for SilentHeroes once upon a time :yes:

I've told Grin_Straha about your problems, who is the main weapon guy for GRAW2. Hopwfully he can drop by and shed some light on this.

If he doesnt' I'll just hunt him down on the SoldF forums and squeeze the information out of him there, shouldn't be hard to squeze it out of an amf1 ambhibian like him :P If I remember right he even tried to recruit me for SilentHeroes once upon a time :yes:

That was probably him. Lots of people where envious on your vehicle models shown at SoldF, and they where right. The vehicles totally rocked! :P

Right, let's see if we can make stuff work. First, check that your weapon is in the list almost at the end of weapon_icons.xml, and in the list in breifing.xml in the same directory. And that your sprite is called exactly what the weapon unit is called with a _spr at the end. Also, make sure you have the right "hud_name" in the weapon's unitfile. And, well to the best of my knowledge that should do it. If it doesn't, I'm sure they'll be some sort of reaction ;)

Right, let's see if we can make stuff work. First, check that your weapon is in the list almost at the end of weapon_icons.xml, and in the list in breifing.xml in the same directory. And that your sprite is called exactly what the weapon unit is called with a _spr at the end. Also, make sure you have the right "hud_name" in the weapon's unitfile. And, well to the best of my knowledge that should do it. If it doesn't, I'm sure they'll be some sort of reaction ;)

Genius! It worked! Beers for everyone involved! :cheers:

Mk23_graw_09.jpg

Of course, now the weekend's over and I should have been asleep hours ago : (

Looks like I'll be making icons later.

Edited by Brettzies

WOOHOO!!! thanks straha for the help on this topic. Its good to hear that you got it working too brettzies :)

Im surprised that the mk45 works, because I dont see that weapon in either the weapon_icons.xml or the briefing.xml...

Edited by Evilducky

Well, that is officially tedious, but also somewhat satisfying when you get everything lined up correctly. Now I just have to do the M4/M16 setup.

no attachments

bp_graw2_02_loadout.jpg

multiple attachments

bp_graw2_01_loadout.jpg

On a side note, I noticed that once you have an attachment on, you cannot remove it. This goes for all weapons.

Also, while I really like and admire the Graw2 interface, I do miss the 3d weapon view : ( It was just so cool.

Edited by Brettzies