Ghost Recon.net Forums

File Sync Software

Hi folks, I'm building a new system for my wife and want to sync documents over two HD's. I'm looking at this one: www.goodsync.com

Anyone have experience with any other good free file sync shareware program?

Yes, Rocky, I confirm that solution as the best one IMO. Not sure about your error, would you like to share?

When you click for scheduling it opens the windows XP scheduler with a synback script already in place, after that it got a bit confusing and I just clicked through the error message and forgot about it.

What happened next was even more strange, and VERY worrying - I lost the ENTIRE contents of my external drive - or so it seemed.

If I recall this right, I was doing a few things, the backup took a while, it was all the GR mods, after that was done, I installed the Chronicles of Riddick game, but I was multitasking and things froze up for a while so I managed to eventually shut some windows down, and the installer eventually completed.

The installer for some reason was on my external drive, so I browsed there to delete it as it ws a big file. When I opened up the external drive, there were NO files, only an empty BACKUP folder - the one I had created for the GR mods backup.

I was blinking shocked. That drive had 200Gb of data on it and I was frantic trying to think what those 200Gb were lol.

I was thinking all sorts, drive recovery etc etc etc. But I did a reboot, and and all appeared back again. I have no clue what caused that but it's actually made me wary of using that back up tool again, just incase it was somehow involved.

Syncback is a very powerful software and must be used careful, for example you have to take care a lot of which drive you consider origin and which one destination, difference between backup and synchronization and so on.

On my case this software has never failed and it is among those few sofwares I'm considering to upgrade to Pro, not because I need more but just because I'm grateful to the developers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Scary story Rocky!

I tried SyncToy but need to install .NET for it to work in XP, which I'm trying to avoid ... thanks for the tip anyway DM!

I just used Syncbak to do a synchronised back on the GR mods folder and it worked a treat! Now, rather than backing up a 8Gb folder which can take a while and can itself have risks, Syncbak takes less than a minute to compare both source and backup folders, and copy over only the new mods. That is extremely cool.

I tried SyncToy but need to install .NET for it to work in XP, which I'm trying to avoid

Why?

Well, I'm backing stuff up on a P3 700MHz, and installing .NET may slow things down a bit more. I previously had slow downs when installing .NET in order to install ATI's Catalyst Centre. With a more powerful system, it probably won't cause a hiccup, but I'm trying to keep software on this older rig to a minimum.