Magpul Masada

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, the normal map for the SPR version is more or less finished now...still some funky areas that I might have to revisit though as the lighting is alittle bit off.

3499 polys all in all and I've added a very faint ambient occlusion pass to the colour map to give some subtle shading in areas.

That looks amazing! Especially with such a low poly count. Guess normal mapping really pays off. I'm too lazy to be that effiecient.

Cheers guys.

@Brettzies: You really ought to take the time mate. It will both help make your model light better aswell as give you a chance to keep the polygon count to a minimum and still get the detail. Sure it does take a while to create a highpoly cage for the whole model but you really don't have to model all the minute details in if you don't absolutely want to. I could just aswell of "cheated" in areas and painted it but it's alittle bit of a personal challenge for me to see if I can cut it into the highpoly mesh 0:)

@Pz3: A fair bit of it is modeled mate ;) I've only really painted in the markings, some reciever detail and all the minor "bumps". Could just aswell of modeled more of the reciever detail but didn't really see a need to do so, the main reason for the highpoly cage in this case is just to get the main parts to look smooth even if they ain't. Rendering a view of the highpoly right now, but at 1.3 million polys it's taking it's fair time :lol: Could probably of optimised the mesh alittle but didn't see a need as I do everything in pieces as opposed to the whole thing all at once.

Heaviest overall bits are most likely the top rail section, magazine and that front handguard....but even the 9 or so groves across the mag release has been modeled :blink:

Here's the render of the highpoly.

masada4-high-thmb.jpg

Snow

That really is something snow fella, befor i even knew how to think about modding , i was using that meusoc to throw some rounds at some mexican tequitos and using that laser attachment to zero on some head shots, those attachments you made for graw1 really were brilliant, your work is absoloute professionalism

Here's the thing though mwgfghost...it's nothing that just comes overnight. To date it's taken me around 4 years of first GR modding, GRAW modding, VBS1 modding and general modeling to get to where I am! I still have renders of the first ever model that I completed, for a GR mod, and it ain't pretty. :x

Here's a render of it.

LAR Grizzly...blocky and sidemapped.

grizzly.jpg

So my best tip to anyone who want's to get into this is to try...and try and try again. Getting a basic hang of the different tools available in 3dsm doesn't take all to long but the "gift" to see what to use and where takes some practice. Heck, I still have to remake nearly 25% of the details that I add in atleast once...most of the time several times!

Anyways, here's the near finalised normal map on the Carbine version.

masada5-thmb.jpg

Rendering another 360 turnaround of it now and I'll toss it up as soon as it's finished.

Edit: here's the turnaround, with the Trijicon Reflex sight on it.

Masada Carbine, 360 turnaround..2.8mb .mov file

Oh yeah I know it's not an overnight thing. I'm sure it takes months to get a good quality weapons mod(or any mod for that matter) out. It's why I can't do it. I just don't have the time or skill to do it. Also don't have the programs. Even if I did have em, I really don't think it would turn out good cause I'm not much of an artist. Only thing I'm good at is the ideas which isn't that hard.

Well, I've just finished running a quick and dirty ingame test to see if my models hold up. And have found out 2 things.

1: The models do hold up

2: They end up looking like crap as GRAW2 can't really process the normal maps aswell as I had hoped. :wall: If I am to get these things ingame and looking reasonable I'm going to have to move away from letting the normal maps handle all the smoothing and assign some smooth groups myself. Means I'm going to have to redo just about all of the normal maps once again :( I bloody knew this would happen!

masada6-thmb.jpg

:x

It's going to take me a few hours of solid work to sort out I'd say, luckily I already have all the highpoly pieces made and saved so it won't really require any remodeling of any kind.

What I'm going to have to do is go in and smooth out my game mesh properly, re-render all the normals and combine them together in photoshop again.

Means I might just take a step back here and wait a while with kicking this pack ingame untill we have a working exporter for 3dsm 8, or atleast wait till the next patch is out to see if we'll acctually get one.

Now, as for weapons...I'm going to slightly alter the original setup (SPR, Carbine and CQBR) and instead do just the SPR and Carbine in 5.56x45...and add another carbine version in 7.62x39. So it will still be 3 new rifles ;)

What I'm looking for though is a handgun and possibly an SMG/PDW for close in work, the 1911 that I have could fill that handgun slot but I'd be more interested in making something new instead of rehashing old work....So at this stage I'm happy to take suggestions for both the handgun and a possible SMG/PDW.

Lets hear it folks!

Well, I'm a 1911 whore, so my vote is to either do another (perhaps the new AMU M1911A2) or to ask if your GRAW1 mod is portable to GRAW2. If that's out of the question, maybe a look at the pistols that were finalists for the recent testing the Army and SOCOM were doing for a new pistol, until it was scrapped. The Taurus PT 24/7 OSS, the S&W M&P .45 and the Sig P220 Combat might be good places to start. The HK45 is already in the game, so that's probably not necessary.

As far as SMGs go, I'm thinking how wonderful a HK UMP45 would have been to play around with.

Well, I'm a 1911 whore, so my vote is to either do another (perhaps the new AMU M1911A2) or to ask if your GRAW1 mod is portable to GRAW2. If that's out of the question, maybe a look at the pistols that were finalists for the recent testing the Army and SOCOM were doing for a new pistol, until it was scrapped. The Taurus PT 24/7 OSS, the S&W M&P .45 and the Sig P220 Combat might be good places to start. The HK45 is already in the game, so that's probably not necessary.

As far as SMGs go, I'm thinking how wonderful a HK UMP45 would have been to play around with.

You may be in luck with the 1911. SnowFella may re-release his MEUSOC .45 :D