Magpul Masada

Might aswell let the cat out of the bag here, retirement is over! :whistle:

After downloading the SP demo a few days ago I came to the conclusion it would be worth the hassles to get a GR modding hattrick in, I modded GR and GRAW so why not do something for GRAW2 aswell.

So I took the afternoon off yesterday from BFS work and set to work on some base models for what I'm aiming to bring into GRAW2, possibly GRAW aswell but time will tell on that matter. Now I won't be able to put 100% of my free time into this as BFS work will have to take priority but whenever I get free time I'll be working on these models.

Enough talking, here's the base models I put together...all remaining detail will be normal mapped into them.

Top to bottom, Magpul Masada 18" SPR, Magpul Masada 14.5" Carbine, Magpul Masada 11.5" CQBR.

masada-thmb.jpg

masada2-thmb.jpg

(Click pics for 1024x768 view)

Still haven't desided what road I'll go down when it comes to addons to them, if I'm to use already excisting parts from GRAW2 or if I'll model new scopes, handgrips and so on.

Snow

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice and clean models Snow! Not much to put the finger on there!

Btw; I feel exactly like you, I retired from modding after GR2 was cancelled but that SP demo was so nice so I'm pretty eager aswell to get something going for this game. I fear we won't see much support after the latest UBI actions, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that we will get some plugins soon.

Didn't know you was working at BFS now...interesting project going over there, I'll follow it closely.

Can't say I'm really working at BFS mate, I'm doing some freelance work for them though. Mainly my speciality, weapons, but also some limited vehicle work.

It's giving me great practice at turning out reasonable normal maps rendered from highpoly cages quickly, sure they still need some painted lovin aswell but 90% is generally modeled detail.

Well, don't get your hopes up to early now guys.

I still have to verify that adding new weapons acctually works, most likely do that by using current models and reverse engineering them into new selectable weapons, and also wait for a new 3dsm exporter plugging to be released. I might get lucky in that department and find that the old GRAW exporter works with GRAW 2, but then I have to export my models from MAX8 into MAX7 for the old exporter to work.

Plus there is the thing that Cpl Ledaneck was hinting at...I am skipping class here and working on something other than what I'm getting payed to work on...payed as a freelance artist mind you, so there's the issues of available free time. If I had been able to put 100% of my free time into these models then you would with any likelyhood of already seen what they look like normalmapped and partly textured. Not so yet though as I have other models that I have to finish first, this is simply an "off peak" project that I will work on when motivated to model/texture...but not when motivated enough to acctually have to do 100% perfect payed quality work :wacko:

@Lancer: I've found the perfect way to deal with that attitood crew in my dealings with Hawk and VBS1...I'll just threaten to turn the bloory model around for them. So every time they use it they will be looking down the buisness end of the rifle instead of down along the sights. :devil:

I still have to verify that adding new weapons acctually works, most likely do that by using current models and reverse engineering them into new selectable weapons, and also wait for a new 3dsm exporter plugging to be released. I might get lucky in that department and find that the old GRAW exporter works with GRAW 2, but then I have to export my models from MAX8 into MAX7 for the old exporter to work.

Models look top notch as is! As usual. :thumbsup:

It's all do-able, but be prepared for headaches. They changed enough that you'll crash plenty while tyring to get everything to work right if you go from Graw1. I spent the last 4 or 5 hours transfering 1 weapon + attachments from Graw1 and it was a major pain. Very hard to test as well. One cool thing about the loadout screen in Graw1 is that is what like a 3d viewer, so you knew right away if something was "off." You don't get that in GRAW2. I almost think making "new" weapons would be easier in that, and then transfer.

Lookin' good though.

I figured it would be doable, checking the SCAR models they seem to be next to identical to the original GRAW ones so if they work the old exporter should work aswell.

As for new .vs "old"....I love modeling and texture work but hate the whole export and coding thing...so it's acctually more fun for me to work on a new model than porting an old one. :wacko: Even having thoughts here of making new scopes for all the models. Looking at the RX4, that I'm planning to use as animation source, I've got both one and 2 scopes in mind that would have about the same mouting hight as the Leoupold CQ/T scope that it uses.

Plus there is the thing that Cpl Ledaneck was hinting at...I am skipping class here and working on something other than what I'm getting payed to work on...payed as a freelance artist mind you, so there's the issues of available free time. If I had been able to put 100% of my free time into these models then you would with any likelyhood of already seen what they look like normalmapped and partly textured. Not so yet though as I have other models that I have to finish first, this is simply an "off peak" project that I will work on when motivated to model/texture...but not when motivated enough to acctually have to do 100% perfect payed quality work :wacko:

@Lancer: I've found the perfect way to deal with that attitood crew in my dealings with Hawk and VBS1...I'll just threaten to turn the bloory model around for them. So every time they use it they will be looking down the buisness end of the rifle instead of down along the sights. :devil:

Hey snow. Wolfsong told me that the GRAW exporter should work for GRAW2 as well. dunno but if the Grinners say so, then try it

Nah, nothing new as I haven't had any free time in the last few days. Mainly because I've mostly stopped doing 3d work during afternoons and nights and instead spend the time with family...most of the work I do is during the few days of the week that I'm off from work and the wife is working.

Secondly because I've currently got 5 weeks to finish off 2 models for John, one "easy" (yeah, like beltfeds set for animation are easy :wacko: ) and one hard one. I'll be flat out for the coming weeks for sure!

Thirdly because I just got my hands on the full game and have been busy getting my ###### handed to be by some naughty little mexican rebels. :(

@sniggle: I haven't really started playing around with the files but asfar as I can see things are fairly similar. The only real difference is the way the models are displayed in the equip screen.

@Krise: And now why would I do that mate...when Magpul are working on a second type of lower reciever for the Masada that will accept regular AK mags. If you are lucky I'll include that version aswell as the differences are so small.

As for the sucsess of threaths...a team mate tried that once when he wanted his weapon done quick....my reply was that I had 2 weapons already made for him, just take your pick.

http://www.snowfella-modworks.com/pics/rosaxm8.jpg

or

http://www.snowfella-modworks.com/portfoli.../newdiemaco.jpg

:P

[Oversize images changed to URL's - Please see forum rule 3.14- Large Images]

Edited by Pave Low

:rofl:

But the SR-47 looks so nice! especially with those plastic waffle pattern mags! :lol:

I'm still not sure the the way weapons and weapon animations and all that is done in GRAW1/2 is worth the trouble, especially if it makes modding more difficult than it has to be :hmm:

Respectfully

krise madsen

But the SR-47 looks so nice! especially with those plastic waffle pattern mags! laugh.gif

I too had a love affair with the SR-47, we did a couple different version for [GR]. But I'm sure that Snow could turn out a Top Notch AK74, with Ultimak Gas Tube/Comp4 attached ;) if you really want the waffle pattern magazines :thumbsup: