Ground Branch

I think you missed the point.

LOL, I think I got your point. Games with names of real-life organizations are "The kind of game box I pick up for a laugh, and then quickly put back"

Most of the time, yeah. It screams budget title looking to cash in on a big name.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the name!

Rainbow Six was pretty stupid to, wasn't it? :rocky:

Actualy i'm stupid for not reading up on the game in the first place, but now i have i understand where you're coming from so stay strong stay focused and all the very best to you jsonedecker and your team on your project.

Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon are two of the best game names i have heard so bring on Ground Branch.

That's the name!

Rainbow Six was pretty stupid to, wasn't it? :rocky:

Actualy i'm stupid for not reading up on the game in the first place, but now i have i understand where you're coming from so stay strong stay focused and all the very best to you jsonedecker and your team on your project.

Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon are two of the best game names i have heard so bring on Ground Branch.

It's cool if you don't care for the name, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

We actually had the same discussions internally as well..... ###### does that mean!

But, after looking back at some of the best games over the years, taking the name out of context of the actual game, the names are kind of dumb. Seriously, if you saw the word HALO without any inclination to what the game was would it be appealing? Maybe. Same with Rainbow Six and even Castle Wolfenstien or Quake. ###### does Quake mean?

BUT..... once you played or saw the game, and it was good, you now have an unmistakable connection to the title.

Something like Hour of Victory or something like Force 12: Mike force are generic, though descriptive, but easily forgotten against other similar titles. By being something kind of obscure and not generic it's easily associated with a superb gaming experience once the title comes out. You need to think long term, not just "short term impulse short attention span pick it up because it has a cool image of explosions on the cover" kind of buy.

And that is why we went with Ground Branch. :thumbsup:

Branch meaning a branch of unit / "special branch" & ground = front line, men on the ground doing the work?

I assume that when they say "Ground Branch" they mean it in this way.

Let us suppose that a CIA operation is going bad. They are no longer getting intelligence on a hostile operation and something needs to be done to halt the activity in the interest in national security.

The agent in charge of the op says to his operations manager "Send in the ground branch." He doesn't say "send in the techical team" or "get the infiltration teams" or "call in the US Army Delta Force".

No, he calls in the CIA's "Ground Branch", the part of the CIA that specializes in ground based butt-kicking operations. No bank of choppers. No fleet of warships. No air base with 20 F-58X or Stealth fighters. Just guys that go in and make everything go away....perhaps rather loudly....and perhaps as softly as possible. However ordered in mission specs...delivered in that way.

That is how I take it.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

when you die in this game(single player) can you take control of other team members like the [Ghost Recon]?

and will this game be big on co-oplike ghost recon?

The understanding is that there will be soul-switching, as in [GR]. And mission COOP like [GR] and such should be there, as well. Remember, though, that it's a long way off from being ready for market. Still largely a work in progress. Nobody's making a lot of promises just yet, but if I were a bettin' man...

I'd give you Dollars to Pesos that the answers are YES and YES and it will kick much booty...

• 3 weeks later...

As long as they have a good weapon selection and the guns are not left handed guns in the hands of a right handed person Ill be happy.

There will definately not be mirrored guns in GB. Snowfella could never live with the shame of doing something like that. And Hatchetforce might have a word or two with him if he tried :D

Respectfully

krise madsen

Thats good to know.. I never understood why developers mirrored there guns in there game.. It makes no sense at all.

I remember the developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. explained they did it to get some "action" on the part of the screen covered by the weapon: The bolt going back and forth and casings flying about would make everyting more interesting to look at. I suppose from that point of view it makes sense though personally I think it's utterly stupid.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I remember the developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. explained they did it to get some "action" on the part of the screen covered by the weapon: The bolt going back and forth and casings flying about would make everyting more interesting to look at. I suppose from that point of view it makes sense though personally I think it's utterly stupid.

I think the original Counter Strike was left handed grip to begin with. No right hand grip at all. So, the M4s (and every other gun for that matter) had the shells ejecting correctly across the screen. When they finally put in a right handed grip, they just mirrored the weapon incorrectly and lazily...but hey, it was a mod.

I think everyone else just copied it after realizing you couldn't see the shells if you did it correctly. Sure it may be less interesting, but I prefer that to the alternative. Little touches of realism are always welcome. Who wants shells flying across their face in the middle of a firefight? Looks cool I guess, but still.

• 2 months later...

I'm no expert on how to make games on anything, but does this mean that only now the game will begin to take shape? I know there have been some models made and such for the past year or so...

I'll just go a step further and let you all know that we have been using UE3 for over a year and Ground Branch has always been done with the engine. We had some unique licensing issues to over come (which included the restriction of no public acknowledgment of engine usage) and Epic was terrific in letting us extend our initial evaluation period longer than normal.

We were finally able to come to an agreement with Epic a few weeks ago that was acceptable to both parties.

So this is really just that we finally executed a full contract and are legally allowed to openly discuss the usage of the engine.

• 3 months later...

So how is the development going? Are things looking good? BTW, will this also come in the consoles? I'm excited about this game but I don't think I can afford buying a new rig just to play next-gen games.

Off-topic:

It's been a while since I posted in this forum. It feels nice visiting this place again. ^_^