Disappointed in SP

---------------------SPOILERS--------------

Just finished the SP campaign, and I must say. I'm rather disappointed.

First of all, it was way too short. Finished it in two days only, maybe 5-6 hours total.

Secondly. The last mission was way too difficult. It wasn't challenging as mush as it was frustrating. First of all, while all other missions ran smoothly at 40-50fps, this mission ran constantly at 24. On top of that, I couldn't peek out from behind a car or cover without getting my head blown off by some .50 gunner outside of my draw distance. I had to restart the mission with the M14 because a SCAR-L+Aimpoint wasn't enough for those ranges. Took me like 10 loads (if not more) to get past the bridge only.

Then the finish! There was a explosion, then what? No outro? just the Mission Finished screen and Back to Menu? That's it? how... anti climactic

On a side note. I had 64 kills on the final mission. My allies (Ghosts+Marines) had 10 total. Why? Because the AI would stick their head out of cover and get blown away if I tried to use them, they were worthless! The only good thing they did was blow up a tank when I had spent my ZEUS on the helo.

And what about the missions when it was just me and ONE extra GHOST? There was no reason given to how two Ghosts just disappeared in that extraction mission by the water treatment plant. Four finished the mission befoure, two came out after the loading. At first I thought they might of died in the blast, but nothing was mentioned about it, and they were back for the next missions.

There were some good missions though, and the AI worked well most of the time. Still were some AI issues, like "I'm getting shot, Captain. but I'll stay here and draw fire so you don't die" and sometimes the AI even left their cover and ran straight out in front of enemies machine gun nests, of course getting mowed down in half a second.

And did you really have to reuse the whole "Military installation inside the Dam"? Please! It was already done in Rainbow Six: Vegas (also UBI, coincident?). It didn't seem plausible then, and certainly doesn't do now!

Overall I guess it was a good game, but the short campaign and last mission and few AI flaws keep this game from getting full points

Let's hope the MP portion is better

And finally. I had absolutely NONE, ZERO crashes or freezes. so at least GRIN managed to get the game stable enough

just my .02

Edited by Cirap

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-----SPOILERS AHEAD------

Yup, these are about my thoughts. In the last mission the team has been useless, also, it hasn't been challenging, only unfair. I kept them back on the middle of the bridge. I only used my M14 and the airstrike to get rid of the tank. Then continued...ok, I first think..woot Mitchell is going the heroic approach ? I better hope they give me a chance to get out. Well I reach the marker and all the happens is a black screen ? No second rebel-leader ? In some news in a mission briefing one rebel-soldier has been mentioned with his name and I thought..humm..maybe he is my final objective, had this already in GRAW though. But nothing ? No outro or credits ? Besides the short campaign that really isn't enough for a full prized game.

The mission at the dam is my favourite. Enjoyed a bit with a friend in coop, really is lots of fun when you battle 2 Helis w/o Zeus. :yes:

At least the gameplay has been improved, also I like that someone must have heard my request about the "equipment"-sounds. Too bad you are not able to shoot 5-6 times fast in single-firing mode and you are not hearing every shot. :unsure:

Now I have to game the cra* out of the MP to make it worth an investment, because the SP is an enormous disappointment and I am more of a SP-player.

Anywho, I am glad GRiN did listen to many hints, advises, requests and managed to deliver in GRAW 2 what GRAW 1 should have been from the beginning.

That the story isn't from GRiN is standard, but not even credits or an outro ? GRAW 1 at least offered us a nice Blackhawk sight-seeing over Mexico City. It misses some dedication and gives me more of a "finally the campaign is done"-feeling. <_<

Sure, those things aren't required but it's absence always leave a disappointment in an excited SP-player like me.

Well since I'm a SP only player it sure sounds like I'd better wait until GRAW 2 hit's the bargain bin. :( I got GRAW for a bargain price and was still disappointed at how poor the SP content is and was hoping GRAW 2 might at least be a step in the right direction for us SP people. Looks like that's not the case. :wall: Guess I might as well realize that an excellent game like Ghost Recon is may never happen again for what ever reason! :unsure:

That the story isn't from GRiN is standard, but not even credits or an outro ? GRAW 1 at least offered us a nice Blackhawk sight-seeing over Mexico City. It misses some dedication and gives me more of a "finally the campaign is done"-feeling.

That's pretty much how the x360 version ends as well. Very lame. The thing that these games are missing is the "player reward/satisfaction" factor.

Two diffrent camps here, for me the reward & satisfaction is the actual playing, I personally don't need no big Hollywood end or cinematographic movie and a pat on the back from General Animated dude. I get my satisfaction from the hunt and the completion of the objectives. Everyone is diffrent and I understand what you are saying and it's true, a nice piece of Hollywood at the end is like cream on top of apple pie (and no Apple pie jokes Cangaroo) :P

not even officially out yet and it's already been completed by some and judged by some to be poop not quite what was expected. I hope they have an expansion pack in the works... I doubt it though.

I've been playing and so far I think it's great!

Edited by chilly-willy

well i havent finished gar2 yet (im at mission 9) but i am also disapointed but from the AI mostly, as i stated many times in the official forums.

i play a lot of [GR] in GRAW1 and i have amazing and fun firefights there with great performances from the AI. in GRAW2 i am very unimpresed by it.

even the friendly AI is worse... i think. all i remember from GRAW1 is that the teammates had more initiative in firefights. sometimes it got them killed but it many cases it made them intervene in the fighting. they actually came to help without me asking for it. in GRAW2 they just sit there with their back to the fight. lame, i tell ya.

not even officially out yet and it's already been completed and judged to be poop. It would stink to read that if I were a dev >_< , but I'm not so I just think it's kind of funny :D .

I hope they have an expansion pack in the works... I doubt it though.

I think Cirep post was good it was fair didnt read the word poop though.

Is this your opionion of the sp campaign,? have you played it ??

I agree with Cirap it is too easy in places and the AI need a lot work, then in others its too hard.

Pathing issues with the mule and AI on both sides.

Development guys read posts like this above because it gives an honest opionion and its put in a way thats not a rant so no they wont get too upset, just try harder.

not even officially out yet and it's already been completed and judged to be poop. It would stink to read that if I were a dev >_< , but I'm not so I just think it's kind of funny :D .

I hope they have an expansion pack in the works... I doubt it though.

Expansion pack?

My hope is that GRiN put tons of time into their SDK and mod tools and DEdi server functions etc and this is why they could only get as much content done as they did.

If they give the mod community the tools to make tons of great missions and all they could find the time for was 6 hours worth, I'm ok.

Lets see what the mod gods can do before we write this thing off........

Sleepdoc

In germany it has been officially released on July 12th, I received my copy today in the morning and started playing. With some breaks after and/or between missions when I died I finished the game in the evening. Is this the idea of a full-prized game ? No, with this short campaign and changes this is nothing more but an expansion pack.

Edited by rookie

If you're playing at Hardcore difficulty then it will take you more hours to finish it. But i have to agree,even at easy/normal difficulty the last mission is almost impossible,especially cause of your sh!ty squad AI. Also the enemies can shoot you even when they don't appear in the screen (cause of the LOD issues of GRAW2). In most cases the enemy AI is great and fair,but in the last mission it's really frustrating and shows a lot of "cheating"

Two diffrent camps here, for me the reward & satisfaction is the actual playing, I personally don't need no big Hollywood end or cinematographic movie and a pat on the back from General Animated dude. I get my satisfaction from the hunt and the completion of the objectives. Everyone is diffrent and I understand what you are saying and it's true, a nice piece of Hollywood at the end is like cream on top of apple pie (and no Apple pie jokes Cangaroo) :P

Actually, I'm not saying it needs a big Hollywood ending, just a sense of accomplishment that you are done. This is really many games these days. The journey should always be better then the ending, but when you have a great journey and then just...nothing, it's a bit of a shame.

I hate to use [GR] as an example, but it was kind of that old school of thought. All your soldiers were capable of earning medals at the end of each mission. Little things like that. Not so much a drawn out cinematic. I always thought there should be a top gun list of your best soldiers, no matter how many times you played any of the campaigns.

The lack of ending is really from the ubi team I'm sure. It was quite surprising to say the least when I played the 360 version. You have all this build up and then nothing. What's really appauling though is that they tout these new generatioin of games as "the hollywood experience." I don't really like that thinking, but if they are going to do it, at least do it right, ie, have and ending. Anyone play Vegas? Talk about your dud ending, as if we didn't know there would be a sequel...how shocking.<sarcasm>

In most cases the enemy AI is great and fair,but in the last mission it's really frustrating and shows a lot of "cheating"

AI cheating, now that's something new ! :o I found the mission ten one of the best, I played it in Campaign mission mode and with 3 buddies found it Excellent, hard and satisfying. You girls need boot camp (j/king). That and mission Dam are my favourites, and they will be played again and again... as for playing with a full AI crew, not for me and as for AI Cheaters I will frame that one :rofl:

Well I haven't recieved my copy being I live in the U.S. but I have owned the 360 copy and I can't beleive its quoted in here it was boring. That was one of the most intense games I've ever played. You were constantly being fired upon, and if you were taking cover against something the bullets hitting the covere were simulated by a slight vibration in the controller, made you feel like you were there. They need to make a vest or something or a cushion for your seat. I bought one of those iCush things but all they do is constantly vibrate....anyway. At the very end you have the capatain of the fighter jet all hesitant to fire, mitchell yelling to fire, the general yelling at mitchell to crawl under a rock "...A BIG ONE!!" ... bullets flying everywhere ,and mitchell's just like "JUST DO YOUR JOB SOLIDIER !" (telling the fighter jet to fire the missles blowing up the NUCs targetted at Dallas-Fort Worth area but killing Mitchell in the process). It was like I was watching a movie, I almost stopped playing in shock, wanting the game to play itself. Then you see that girly dorky LT. pulling off the rubble saying something like "we're gonna get outa here Scott, your gonna be fine"

I just can't believe you'd call that boring. People will complain about anything I suppose.

Edited by JasonFMX

Well, I for one don't think it was boring and I really had been into the game, that is why I completed it in one day. But when the "finale" isn't satisfying I feel disappointed. It was unexpected that Mitchell is going to stay and sacrifice himself. They(whoever wrote that storyline) should have ended it properly. I don't like have the option to run out in time when it doesn't matter in the end- either give a last mission or some aftermath-report with thanks from the president or let Mitchell die in there and make it like "Beasley - you are in charge of the Ghosts now". An open ending like this isn't necessary in GRAW where you are in the dark and don't know if the "hero" survives.

Well, since all Tom Clancy-titles are chlishee I guess it had just been a matter of time until someone decides to let the fate of a Clancy-hero unknown.

I found the mission ten one of the best, I played it in Campaign mission mode and with 3 buddies found it Excellent, hard and satisfying. ............

Well. I loved GRAW1. from initial release even. Why? becuase I played coop. with my buddies. It was intense and hard and required coordination in order to survive.

I feel for the SP guys who are looking for that expereince to also be excellent. I like SP too. but it is VERY encouraging to hear viiper say that the campaign in coop is fun and hard and satisfying. I use those same words to describe GRAW1 coop. So you have me excited viiper.

and if the mod guys can start making actual campaign style missions rather than the simple [GR] coop stuff from GRAW1, then this thing will have long long long legs for me.

Question Viiper....

In the 12 man coop stuff (used to be called [GR], now called coop i guess), can squds forms and still use the new squad leader tools like the move order systema nd cross com with orders inside? and the satellite view? or is it still like the orginal GRAW1, where the [GR] mode took away all those tools for the squad leader to use?

Edited by Sleepdoc

Just finished the game. Mission 10 was the only mission i didn't finish in hardcore difficulty mainly cause of the poor squad AI. The bridge section was really a pain in the ass :P. Overall apart from the last Mission the game is great. The last Mission though is frustrating,sometimes there are collisions issues (you're shooting an enemy under a truck or above some sandboxes and the "invisible wall" stops your bullets) and the enemies can kill you even when you haven't seen them yet due to the LOD issues (that is the cheat i was reffering to :P)

In the 12 man coop stuff (used to be called [GR], now called coop i guess), can squds forms and still use the new squad leader tools like the move order systema nd cross com with orders inside? and the satellite view? or is it still like the orginal GRAW1, where the [GR] mode took away all those tools for the squad leader to use?

12 Man coop is 12 human players, with no squads, no cross com, no orders 1-12 players play against an average of 70-100 AI, there is no sat map etc. it's like GRAW1. But on a lighter note, the maps are excellent, the AI feel more sneaky and the play is very good on a well constructed map & AI template.

12 Man coop is 12 human players, with no squads, no cross com, no orders 1-12 players play against an average of 70-100 AI, there is no sat map etc. it's like GRAW1. But on a lighter note, the maps are excellent, the AI feel more sneaky and the play is very good on a well constructed map & AI template.

I'm glad you like it. I'll prolly like it too. but I am still hoping for some modders to create lots of those 4 man types then, becuase i love having the move tools, the sat map etc. mostly the squad order tools though. I enjoy the lack of ambuguity on move and cover orders afforded by the squad leader tools. no one messed with making those in GRAW1, so all you got was the originalk campaign.

It would have been nice if the [GR] coop had server side settings to allow 2 to break into 3 fire teams adn gave each squad leader the usual cadre of tools.

Oh well. i was hoping....

With no tools it's like asking a cobbler to make you a pair of new shoes by looking at the old ones ;) I think Ubi got it wrong again, their comms are fair to poor most of the time. They should of said "look this is what's coming with the release and this is what's coming after" and give a rough time frame too.... We have to blame someone and it ain't going to be GRIN. All we got to go on is the DEV diaries and fragments of interviews.