Question re. ROE

There's something I'm not understanding here:

When I switch the team to Recon mode and give them waypoints culminating in either a "cone" to cover or a "Cover This" command, once everybody is in position I order everyone into Assault mode so that they will all open up full-bore. However, the guys all call out "sneak 'n peek" and go back into Recon mode, making the assault a lot less crisp than it should be.

I'm wondering, am I supposed to switch each team member to Assault mode for the last leg of the maneuver? Can this even be done? I seem to recall you could switch modes in the tac map this way in GR but this would still cause the guys to engage on the last leg before reaching their carefully-plotted assault points.

What is the best way to get the whole team to maneuver in Recon mode and then switch to Assault when everybody is in position?

I've come across this quirk before and I'm sure it's some misunderstanding on my part, not a glitch.

Cover means suppressing fire. You switch ROE to assault by clicking the same in the tac map, when they are in place.

I click "All Go Assault" in the tacmap once they have eyes on in Recon mode but the cover order seems to force them back into Recon Mode. I think the trick is to allocate a target either when planning the move, and then making the last command in the string an Attack command, or use the Attack command when the Ghost is in place. The you order Assault mode. Either way, I think this will cause the guys to open fire and stay in Assault mode. What I'm saying is, ordering "Assault" will not override "Recon" without Attack orders. Certainly, I have not been successful in switching the team to Assault mode after getting into position in Recon mode; I keep hearing them switching back. Does anyone else have this problem?

Okay, now I'm confused. So, if you want to set your guys up in an attack permimeter, and then on a single command get them to open fire - you can't do that?

Of course you can. Just get them in position in recon mode. Skip the cover command completely and just drag a cone to where you want them to look. Then when you're ready, change the ROE to Assault using the middle mouse button and you're done :)

Okay, now I'm confused. So, if you want to set your guys up in an attack permimeter, and then on a single command get them to open fire - you can't do that?

Of course you can. Just get them in position in recon mode. Skip the cover command completely and just drag a cone to where you want them to look. Then when you're ready, change the ROE to Assault using the middle mouse button and you're done :)

That's how it's supposed to work but it doesn't always and I'm not sure why. The Ghosts will revert to Recon under certain circumstances and it can ruin your day. Hate to see a well-planned stealth assault surrender the initiative over ROE glitches.

Edited by Bahger

Bahger

I have the same problem mate, but only when my ghosts have silenced SMG's, when im giving them silenced pistols, recon command work properly. Dont no why this happens, hope further pathes will solve this problem.

Bahger

I have the same problem mate, but only when my ghosts have silenced SMG's, when im giving them silenced pistols, recon command work properly. Dont no why this happens, hope further pathes will solve this problem.

Ahhh, that's interesting info. Not sure I fully understand your workaround though. Are you saying that if their SMGs in the secondary slot are non silenced but their pistols are silenced (which is default in the demo) the command to open up from recon mode will work properly?

I've always thought there was something odd about the fact that the default loadout in the demo has a silenced assault rifle as primary when you can carry a silenced SMG in the secondary slot. Why sacrifice impact for stealth in a primary when you can equip an MP5SD in another slot? If I were a cynic, I'd suspect that Grin was trying to avoid a weapons-switching glitch here that can jeopardise the full implementation of the new Recon/Assault mode transition, because I know what I've observed here and I'm not making this up. It's possible that the very act of changing weapons is what hangs up the AI so that if we were to give the Ghosts silenced primaries, the order would work as advertised because they wouldn't have to switch weapons.

See, I've been trying this with the following non-default loadout:

Primary: Non-silenced assault rifle

Secondary: Silenced SMG

Sidearm: Silenced pistol (default)

Bahger

Are you saying that if their SMGs in the secondary slot are non silenced but their pistols are silenced (which is default in the demo) the command to open up from recon mode will work properly?

Yes, thats what im talking about mate. I mean when im equiping my team with primary weapon and silenced SMG's and giving "Go Recon" command, they switching there weapons to silenced, but when im giving back "Go Assault" command they are still holding silenced weapon. Only when im selecting silenced pistols Assault and Recon commands works properly.

Thats it. And BTW very sorry for my english.

Ok, let's say you have your team in Recon Mode, you give them orders to position themselves where you want them.

Once all of them are in position all you have to to is press middle mouse button to get the xcom order menu, and then you select Assault Mode.

If your guys see an enemy in assault mode they will open fire.

Does that make it clearer?

Ok, let's say you have your team in Recon Mode, you give them orders to position themselves where you want them.

Once all of them are in position all you have to to is press middle mouse button to get the xcom order menu, and then you select Assault Mode.

But they will open fire with silenced weapon(mp5, m8 compact) instead of primary(Rx4, Scar).

And, for example when i will assault some camp where there will be 10 heavy armed tangos at the same place , why do i need silenced weapon for that kind of approach? In this moment i will need heavy and unsilenced weapon, such as Rx4, M99 and MK 46 LMG.

But they will open fire with silenced weapon(mp5, m8 compact) instead of primary(Rx4, Scar).

And, for example when i will assault some camp where there will be 10 heavy armed tangos at the same place , why do i need silenced weapon for that kind of approach? In this moment i will need heavy and unsilenced weapon, such as Rx4, M99 and MK 46 LMG.

Yes, thanks so much for your reply, Ichabod, but correct use of the middle mouse button ROE interface command for the whole team still produces glitches in certain circumstances. As Witcher says, they will open up, but with silenced weapons when they have unsilenced ARs available, or they will immediately revert to Recon mode, announcing "going sneak 'n peek". I think your patch team might be aware of this issue. For a tactical geek like me who always deploys the entire AI team in SP missions it's a biggie and I'm so glad it might get addressed.

Edited by Bahger

I think your patch team might be aware of this issue.

I think Ichabod leads the patch team, so the more you can nail this down and produce a replicatable instance of it, the more chance there is of a resolution. I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet though.