GRAW 2 Demo: Tactical Gameplay Videos

I made these videos in FRAPS and uploaded them to YouTube in order to showcase the new tactical interface. I'm still a little thick-fingered with the commands and you'll see plenty of mistakes and hesitation but you will also notice effective flanking maneuvers utilising smoke grenades, utilisation of the new stealth/aggressive ROE and deployment of the much-improved "Attack", "Cover" and "Move" commands, both from the tac-map and on the fly. I'm very impressed with the commitment to tactical gameplay that has been harmonised into the orders interface and AI code in GRAW 2, although you'll notice an example of ultra-dimwitted enemy AI at the end of the first vid. The UAV is effectively deployed and the end of the second video demonstrates the use of a remote "Attack" command as I order an AI teammate to take out a distant enemy grunt spotted by the drone. Impressive, and impossible in GRAW 1.

To repeat, it's not always smooth, there are pathfinding issues and some excessive hesitation partly attributable to the slow framerates when FRAPS is in use but no KIA on "Hard" mode and I get the job done. Enjoy, and I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks for posting these videos - I'm one of the poor dudes unable to download the SP demo (in my country, we have a 3GB per month bandwidth usage limit) and I've been waiting for some video footage.

It looks good, and I can't wait for the full version to come out!

I liked that allot, thanks for sharing. My rig is too old to even bother downloading the Demo and trying it but I liked what I saw.

Your style of play (the right way) is pretty much how I would have done it.

The only teeny thing that I noticed was the footstep sound loop wasn't too varied, not that convincing (but thats just very minor thing). :rocky:

You could have switched to a few team headcams when they were taking fire, just to mix it up some, that feature from GRAW1 I really liked.

Looks good, I just hope its a little more overall re playable and more moddable & more coop based than the previous.

Good stuff. I take the other route for this mission, but use similar tactics, I'll put a vid up later on.

On the tact map, instead of clicking on your team members icons on the map to select them, you can scroll the mouse wheel until he is highlighted, I find that a little quicker and it prevents missing clicking onto an area next to the team members by mistake.

It's cool watching how other use tactics and the GUI to play missions out, keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

I liked that allot, thanks for sharing. My rig is too old to even bother downloading the Demo and trying it but I liked what I saw.

Your style of play (the right way) is pretty much how I would have done it.

The only teeny thing that I noticed was the footstep sound loop wasn't too varied, not that convincing (but thats just very minor thing). :rocky:

You could have switched to a few team headcams when they were taking fire, just to mix it up some, that feature from GRAW1 I really liked.

Looks good, I just hope its a little more overall re playable and more moddable & more coop based than the previous.

Same here, nice for sharing this! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

I'm getting a lot smoother now that the command sequences are becoming more familiar. The fact that Recon mode actually works is a huge deal, tactically. A lot of the carping about GRAW was from players who didn't have the patience for stealth gameplay but the lack of flexibility in ROE was frustrating and needed to be worked around. Recon mode integrates stealth more fully into the game, allowing for flanking and suppression tactics appropriate for spec ops-type of operations against a numerically superior enemy. Recon mode enables the player to gain and retain the initiative.

I'm looking forward to using the "Cover this" command in Assault mode to have my SAW gunner suppress an enemy while I or my AI teammates maneuver on him. That could never have been acomplished in GRAW 1 but it will take a little practice remembering which mode everybody is in; I might not want my entire team unloading on the target as it's a huge waste of ammo. In GRAW 1 and other tactical games without control of ROE there is nothing more frustrating than having an AI teammate open up on a spotted enemy before the rest of the team is in place and in cover, ready to assault. I like watching my AI guy's icon in the first vid as he flanks to the right, gets into position (I can't remember if he calls "in position" or not) so that we can hit the guys at the roadblock from two directions when I have the team go Assault.

The Attack command, almost useless in GRAW 1, works beautifully now because the AI will maneuver into position for the shot. It will be interesting to see if you can counter-snipe this way or if the friendly AI is not up to it and will get picked off. The best combo will be coordinated suppression and attack using individual "Cover This" and "Attack" commands in Assault mode for a SAW gunner and a rifleman or sniper. If the AI can handle this then my hat really is tipped to the boys at Grin.

The extra switchlogy to bring some of this stuff off will be well worth it.

I have not yet tried things I've heard you can do, like give orders from the helmet-cam screens. I should really read the .pdf manual.

Edited by Bahger

Good God Bahger.

Falcon 4.0

ArmA

GRAW2

Your everywhere.

Nice vids bud.

Hey Sleepdoc! I was wondering if you were the Sleepdoc, the legendary Falconeer. Good to see you here.

No more ArmA for me if GRAW2 turns out to be as good as the demo promises. ArmA is too much like work. And I must get back to F4AF soon. After I've played this, that is.

Good God Bahger.

Falcon 4.0

ArmA

GRAW2

Your everywhere.

Nice vids bud.

Hey Sleepdoc! I was wondering if you were the Sleepdoc, the legendary Falconeer. Good to see you here.

No more ArmA for me if GRAW2 turns out to be as good as the demo promises. ArmA is too much like work. And I must get back to F4AF soon. After I've played this, that is.

ArmA is work and falcon 4.0 isn't? hehe. But I hear ya. Teh greatest sims out are work like a times.

I played GRAW1 through the entire campaign in coop. We were slow and tactical. It took hours to complte ach mission (2 or more at times). That was work too. But it was fun as hell.

The thing about ArmA is that the "work' is nt always assocaited with moving forward in a "fighting way". You might be planning or just redovering vehicels for a n hour after a battle or some such thing.

But I am still in love with ArmA. I love the large scael combat capabilities and the means to get organized from fireteam up to platoon level.

But I hear ya bud. some nights, its just work.

And legendary? ..... right. sure.

Nice to see you Bahger. Maybe we will get some coop GRAW2 going together when it comes out.

sorry for taking your post off topic.

Yes sure, I'm just a bit cheesed off the sound didn't come out properly.

Someone should do a better version. the other thing I have difficulty with is finding the best balance between file size and movie resolution, such movies are better quite large, but the file sizes shoot up over 200Mb.

Maybe bahger has his original before it was shrunk for youtube.

Cant get that video to play Rocky, just comes up with Media Player has encountered a problem. I click web help and it seems to think theres something up with the sound. Any ideas ?

It's just a plain old mpeg, no codecs, it plays in Windows Media Player 11 for me...

I'll put a better one up soon anyway, but WMP11 plays it.

As a matter of interest, if more people were to follow bahger's idea and post up videos, if the files were 200-300Mb, would people download them, or only if less than 100Mb?

Rocky, bummer, your vid won't play and I'm running the most recent version of MSMP. I got an error message indicating that I need a codec of some kind. Which one, do you reckon, DivX?

I was looking forward to seeing how you tackled the demo mission.

I know the compression is high and the resolution low on YouTube but there's something to be said for the ease of use and the universal standard. You might look at other DV upload sites that offer much higher resolutions and the possibility of downloading as opposed to streaming files. It would be a pity to make accessibility of the file dependent on the individual possession of certain codecs.

Cant get that video to play Rocky, just comes up with Media Player has encountered a problem. I click web help and it seems to think theres something up with the sound. Any ideas ?

It's just a plain old mpeg, no codecs, it plays in Windows Media Player 11 for me...

I had the same prob with WMP (v10 on the system at work), but I got it to run on Quicktime :thumbsup:

Is there supposed to be sound?

If people have the time and what ever it takes, I think a YouTube and a downloadable version would be nice. If the video is good, 200 MB is not a problem for most people with broadband (including myself). I enjoyed watching Bahger's video and am downloading Rocky's right now.

Yes sure, I'm just a bit cheesed off the sound didn't come out properly.

Someone should do a better version. the other thing I have difficulty with is finding the best balance between file size and movie resolution, such movies are better quite large, but the file sizes shoot up over 200Mb.

Maybe bahger has his original before it was shrunk for youtube.

I have both up there at the moment link.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...13/m/4261047275

Cheers

I'll put a better one up soon anyway, but WMP11 plays it.

As a matter of interest, if more people were to follow bahger's idea and post up videos, if the files were 200-300Mb, would people download them, or only if less than 100Mb?

I think in general these types of video are gold dust to players who need help or a different way of doing missions.

size of vid would only be a problem with poor connections etc, and it would be good if the video stayed online for the duration of the game life, as so many good videos just vanish from the net now GR1 is a good example..

I just got your vid to work in Quicktime, Rocky; no sound but plenty of action!

OK, I have an embarrassing confession:

Being so used to GRAW and its corridors, I didn't realise that you could bypass the shantytown by taking the path through the rocks to the left of the map! This is great! It makes the mission much more replayable and tactically it's quite interesting to clean out the outpost first because the enemy soldiers in the village will leave their roadblock and confront the Ghosts to the north. Bypassing the village altogether rather than fighting through it is surely the more sound tactic but in GRAW there were neither such alternate routes nor the defensive AI routines to support such a tactical shift; you were essentially on rails. I don't think this kind of flexibility was achieved even in the SPLINTER CELL games. Well done, Grin.

I just got your vid to work in Quicktime, Rocky; no sound but plenty of action!

OK, I have an embarrassing confession:

Being so used to GRAW and its corridors, I didn't realise that you could bypass the shantytown by taking the path through the rocks to the left of the map!

Hehe, I kind of thought that was the case, I can imagine your face when you saw Mitchell veer off to the left at the start LOL!

GRIN have certainly gone to some length to designed in many alternatives for the player. :grin2: