Racing setup Guide ?

[NH]4x

Does anyone know where I may be able to find a guide,that explains what to do for a "pushing,loose ,tight in/loose off" ect.... car. What different spring rates do,bigger/smaller anti sway bars,shock adjustments ect....

I'm foolin around with the rFactor demo,have a decent setup but,left front tire is 25-30 degrees hotter than the other 3 tires. Car pushes in a hard right hand corner( It's "rolling over" on the left front I think) . I added some left stagger and bigger spring in right rear,which helped the temp of said tire(now right front tire is cooler than the other 3 tires),and helped it turn better,BUT now it's loose.

I would appreciate some help from someone in the know about such things (car setups),Ive experimented until I'm blue in the face ,to no avail.

When you describe your car setup now as "loose", you mean at the rear? A tendency for the back end to break away (ie oversteer)? That happens when your rear wheels have too little grip compared to the fronts. The way round this is to either back off the front grip or increase the rear. You can either stiffen up the front suspension (reduces front-end grip but makes the car more responsive), or soften the rear suspension (improved rear grip, but less responsive handling). Either one of these will give your rear tyres more grip relative to the fronts, and should therefore take the car from oversteer towards neutral handling - or to understeer if you go too far (in which case you obviously do the reverse of the above).

Although you might wonder why you'd deliberately give your car less grip, remember that grip and responsiveness are a trade-off. You might find that softening the rears (increased rear grip without sacrificing anything at the front) makes the car wallow too much because the springs are too soft in general. You'd therefore be better off in that situation backing off the front grip a touch to get you the neutral handling you want for a quick lap and maintaining the crisp handling. Tyre wear is also a factor to consider in the trade-off.

If you have very soft settings in general, you could also stiffen the rear anti-roll bar (anti-sway, as you called it). That would reduce some of the weight transfer to the outside wheels at the rear and should give it a bit more stability. Incidentally, if you thought it was "rolling over" too much on the front left wheel before, you could also have stiffened the front anti-roll bar instead of the suspension tweaks you made.

All these things above affect the car primarily when cornering. If you meant that the car was unstable in a straight line when you said it was "loose", you should increase the positive caster angle (or reduce the negative caster if you have it set up that way), and/or increase the toe-in of the front tyres (or reduce the toe-out if you have it set up that way)... Both of these tweaks will make the car more stable at speed and feel less "twitchy", but will reduce the responsiveness (ie it won't bite and turn in quite as aggressively when you throw it hard into a corner).

Edited by Gav80

• 1 month later...

Hi! Didn't recognise the new user name - just as well you put in the "aka" part.

Mark...? I'm not sure who you mean - which I guess means the answer to your question is no! PM me if you want and tell me who you mean.

No probs on the explanation. Hope it helped.