Sound problem

I've been getting alot of feedback through my speakers and headphones ever since I installed the latest nVidia drivers (which I'm sure wouldn't have caused it). I Installed those drivers a few days ago and the problem was not present before I installed them. Basically, I get ALOT of reverb when sounds play. This happens on my speakers and headphones. In some places, the sound is very distorted. I don't recall adjusting my audio settings since installing the latest nVidia drivers.

Just so you know, I can't plug my headphones into the speakers, I have to plug them directly in the sound card, and yes they're in the correct hole (the green one). I have SoundBlaster Live 5.1. I looked on Creative Labs website for updated drivers but it says that product is discontinued.

Also, when I put the new nVidia drivers on then restarted, it told me that my copy of Windows XP was not activated, which is not true - I've had this copy of XP since October 3 years ago and activated it there and then. That's also certainly never happened to me before.

So, ideas guys (and gals)?

That's very odd mate, not sure what to suggest but have you tried reverting back to previous drivers? And the latter part you mentioned about your version of windows not being activated is odd too, but i have heard this before, why it happens? beats me.

That's very odd mate, not sure what to suggest but have you tried reverting back to previous drivers? And the latter part you mentioned about your version of windows not being activated is odd too, but i have heard this before, why it happens? beats me.

I've got on here the original SB Live 5.1 drivers that came on the disc for the soundcard when I bought the rig three year ago. I've never had this sound problem before. Maybe the sound card is on the way out?

Another thing: whenever I update my nVidia drivers, it also for some reason resets the install of Paintshop Pro 8, which I then have to re-install before I can use it again. Before the nVidia driver update I was getting random crashes on FEAR & HL2 which I never got before (I does like an old Amiga style crash, just 'noise' all over the screen). So I updated the driver and they were working fine, unti FEAR crashed again (on the new drivers) the other day. It's wierd because I played Supreme Commander for like 6 hours straight ('nukeraping' your opponent is funny) and Serious Sam 2 for several hours and no crashes at all with either of them.

My whole rig is up the swanney. I plan to get a new rig soon anyway.

There's apparently a lot of conflicts with Nvidia and Creative where the one accuses the other.

Here's a 3 pages link that touches drivers, pci latency and capacitors on the soundcards as possible reasons.

One reader solved his problem by moving the soundcard to another pci slot.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/creative-l...es-vt69870.html

Although the link starts with a Vista / X-Fi setup, the problem has occured with other cards and XP too.

XP re-activate: this can happen when you renew hardware. I've never heard this happen due to software. Not until I read your post, that is ;)