Skybox

Tinker

I've tried to animate a skybox, tried to add dynamic objects and/or effects other than sun and solar flare to one as well, it doesn't work. You are more than welcome to try. The only real issue with creating a day/night cycle is the lighting, you can fake it with fog settings but it doesn't quite cut the mustard in my opinion. Good luck, it would be fun to see something new done. :thumbsup:

you can fake it with fog settings but it doesn't quite cut the mustard in my opinion. Good luck, it would be fun to see something new done.

Now that`s just what i was thinking of. Although the script would only work for the mission, without adding it too all the other modes. 1 off thing i guess.

But how do you make the skybox rotate so slow?

Tinker

:)

Have you tired using a scrolling texture instead? Don't know if the textures will scroll in a skybox... :hmm:

If it does, there's no reason a skybox must be a box. You can make a low poly half-sphere with a single texture, and have the texture scroll slowly.

Edited by The Worm

Using the skybox to make a dynamic sky is inpossible.

Trust me, just like Sleeper, I've tried all sorts of combinations to make it happen.

The skybox is VERY restricted in terms of modding. You can use alpha-channels or multiple custom objects or even high-poly models but that's it.

Just plain static models and diffuse static textures.

Using a textured skydome inside your map works, but you'd have to drop clipping aswell (set the distance twice as much as the largest length of your map). FPS will drop rapidly on a medium machine in that case.

This in turn would mean you'd have to do some smart occluding or settle for less detail to make the map still playable.

I would suggest using a scrolling texture on your dome, not animating the entire dome-object as it would become a very large animation-sequence.

EDIT:

BTW, I did come up with a very nice way of making the sun come up and set again but never used it:

(mind you, this only works for a skydome inside your map, clipping set to 2x mapsize)

By putting a disc infront of the skydome and texturing it with a diffuse and an alpha-channel and setting the scroll properties to rotate the bitmap very slowly, the sun would come up and set.

I would experiment a bit with the different alpha filters that you can find in the RSB-editor. For instance try to color-burn the diffuse texture with the skydome background.

It will still leave you to solve the dynamic lighting ofcourse.

Edited by deleyt

The RSB Editor Help Topics are not very helpful! :huh: Don`t suppose there are any tutorials around here i cannot seem to find?

Also i removed the skybox and added a sphere. All works fine, but I added a bright blue sky with white clouds. Looks fine in Igor on a little test map. But in game it is dark and miserable looking?

sky-00.jpg

Also any tips on occluding? :blink:

Cheers

Tinker

I don't have the RSB-editor anymore but if I recall correctly, there is a tab called "animate" or something in that order.

You can tell the engine here whether to scroll the texture or rotate it.

Both can be set at which speed (horizontally, vertically, rotationspeed) and at which direction (+ one way, - the other way).

Speeds can be set from - to + and I believe increments of 0.001 (could well be 0.0001 or 0.01, not sure).

Rotating a bitmap always has it's pivot in the centre of the bitmap. You can not adjust the pivotpoint.

You'll have to do some testing to see which way and at what speed the animation works best for you. It's fairly straitforward once you get the hang of it.

You also have the ability to make a sequence of textures (an animation). I believe you can set 9 images which should be enough for making things like blinking lights (whether or not in conjunction with an alpha channel), images on a TV or monitor, billboards, etc.

If I recall correctly, you have to select the images in a backwards order as you intend to make it cycle.

As for your skydome being dark and miserable....if you got your fog on, that might be it.

Remember that your skydome is now treated the same as any other object in your scene. So you might have to set some switches for your skydome like not creating or receiving shadows or being influenced by the lightmap.

Although the skydome is an object, you have to see it as a lightsource on it's own.

GR's engine skybox already takes this into account, but you have to manipulate your skydome to create the same effect.

You can find more about occluders, HERE and HERE

Edited by deleyt

Thnx again D

I`ll be going for adding a disc like you said and see how that goes. :thumbsup:

My sky went all dark because i had a SUN added in Max that was outside the dome. I`ve brought it down inside the dome and the map lights fine still, but also my sky is now bright blue with correct white clouds. :) Hopefully using the scroll option, i will try to make the clouds look like they are moving.

As to occluders :wacko: I may get back to that, thnx for the links. Wonder if Worm had his large outdoor portals working?

Cheers

Tinker