Ghost Recon.net Forums

I think my Random Access Memory chip is bad

I purchased a 512 megabyte DDR-400 Kingmax Random Access Memory chip from Newegg.com around October 2006. The chip worked fine in my old computer. I have recently upgraded to a new computer and everytime I put the chip in my new computer it wigs out. The moniter becomes black like the computer is not able to get a signal to it. The computer works fine without the Random Access Memory chip. I have four slots for Random Access Memory. Two 512 megabyte chips are currently matched up in matching slots. When I put the other chip in, I do not match it up with the other Random Access Memory chips.

Has my Random Access Memory chip gone bad? Is there anyway it can be repaired? :(

Newegg.com has a one year return policy but I think they require you to have the original packaging in order to return it (I lost the original packaging). Any advice?

Sometimes certain RAM sticks just don't like certain motherboards/other RAM sticks.

Best way to see if the RAM itself it damaged is to try running your system with just the questionable stick in. If it works, you know it's not liking your pre-existing RAM. If not, try memtest86 (free downloads, ignore the pay for shipping version). It's a bootable image that you run overnight, and it scrubs your RAM to check extensively for errors.

Many years ago I had a Compaq (worst purchase evar) and I added a stick of Crucial RAM to it. It wouldn't boot until I removed the factory installed RAM stick, then it ran fine. Well, 'fine' is the wrong word, but it worked as bad as ever. The point is, the RAM was good.

File for an RMA anyway and shoot an email off to their RMA support. I did just that for a stick of RAM that went bad after 3 or 4 days, sent them back nothing but the RAM, and they sent me a replacement. All I paid for was the shipping there. Newegg is second to none when it comes to customer service.

I used to have two sticks of 512Mb memory in my computer, but its kept restarting all the time, and everything would crash. So i spent ages taking everything out and testing stuff, swapping graphics cards, motherboard batteries, power supplies. Turned out to be one of the sticks of memory. Worked fine with just the other in. But then i only had half the memory, so i nicked two sticks of 256Mb out of my bro's computer and im now back to my gig :P

but as for buying memory, i would try crucial.com. I got some for my powerbook from, works brilliant, quick and well packaged delivery to UK, good price. Worth a look.

I found out what the problem is. My 512 megabyte DDR-400 Kingmax Random Access Memory stick is conflicting with the other Random Access Memory I have in my computer. The other Random Access Memory I was using is two sticks of Corsair ValueSelect 512 megabyte DDR-400.

When I take the Corsair computer chips out, my computer runs fine.

I think I am going to return the two sticks of Corsair ValueSelect 512 megabyte DDR-400 I just purchased and buy 2 Gigabytes of DDR-400 Super Talent Random Access Memory.

Edited by Militiaman

I have another question for anyone who can answer.

When I look at the specifications on my computer Windows is stating I have only have 448 Megabytes of RAM. I currently have the following memory chip in my computer:

KingMax 512 megabyte DDR-400 Pc3200 184 PIN random access memory chip

If I have a 512 megabyte chip in my computer, how come Windows is only recognizing 448 megabytes of random access memory?

I was talking with someone else about the subject of the 512 megabyte memory card and he stated perhaps my video card is taking up some of the memory. My video card is integrated in my motherboard I do believe and it is the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU + nForce 410 MCP chipset

Integrated 128 megabyte Shared NVIDIA Graphic controller

Would this be taking 64 megabytes of my random access memory?