CRYSIS EDITOR in full swing

viiiper

I used the CryEngine quite a lot when Obsidian Edge was being played a bit - made about 6 maps for it including Castle Day, Village, an Alpine version of River Bed, a Vietnam Waterways map, GR Village, and an WW2 Anzac Cove D-Day sort of environment, and an Australian outback map.

What is so amazing about the engine is that if you can imagine it - you can build it. Your mind is your only limitation.

For those who dont know - essentially you start with an ocean and just drag the land up out of the water. Shape it however you want, then add two one lod texture and one close up texture to it.

Set the sky and fog textures for it - the water texture - crisp ocean or murky swamps.

Drop objects around the map - rotate the objects if desired.

Throw down the vegetation and its lod distance.

And generate.

So easy to use, and as I said, once you learn how to use it - your imaginaton is the only ting that will restrict your creations.

For those who dont know - essentially you start with an ocean and just drag the land up out of the water. Shape it however you want, then add two one lod texture and one close up texture to it.

Set the sky and fog textures for it - the water texture - crisp ocean or murky swamps.

Drop objects around the map - rotate the objects if desired.

Throw down the vegetation and its lod distance.

And generate.

So easy to use, and as I said, once you learn how to use it - your imaginaton is the only ting that will restrict your creations.

Sounds just like the DoW map editor, except you start with the land and drag it down into the ocean to get some waterways etc

• 3 months later...

The folks that got their Igor stripes will be spoiled silly with the Sandbox Editor. Since the Crysis version (Sandbox2) works principally like the FarCry version (Sandbox1), you can scoop a copy of FarCry from the bargain bin, download the 1.4 patch of the game and take the editor for a full spin on the cheap.

(Shhhh...The heightmaps can even be imported into Sandbox2 later!) :thumbsup:

I haven't messed with the Graw2 editor, so I can't make a comparison.