Widescreen monitor questions cause my old 17" LCD crapped out.

GR_Ranger

For some reason when I got my LCD monitor out of sleep mode it flickered for a while then just went black. It ain't my computer cause I'm using my old CRT on it right now as I type this.

I also tried my LCD monitor on another computer and the same thing - the screen remains black, but the ON button still shows the blue light which indicates that it's not on stand by mode. Normally if my monitor didn't receive any signal it would say so on the screen and then the ON button would turn yellow. I saw none of this. I switched it on and off and still nothing. Normally if I were to turn on the monitor I would see the BENQ logo, I did'nt see this either.

Everything was working fine with the monitor until today. This morning it was fine for a couple of hours, I then left my computer after which windows shuts down the monitor after 15 minutes of the computer remain idle. I come back a few hours later the monitor flickered back for a while then just went all black.

Anyways, it looks like I might just have to buy a new monitor so it may as well be a widescreen. So I have a few questions about widescreen monitors-

What's the typical resolution it should be set at and at what hertz?

Is it still necessary to turn on antialaising with widescreen resolutions?

Thank you. Any suggestions on what I can do with my crapped LCD monitor would also be appreciated.

What's the typical resolution it should be set at and at what hertz?

Is it still necessary to turn on antialaising with widescreen resolutions?

Thank you. Any suggestions on what I can do with my crapped LCD monitor would also be appreciated.

There are some good WS discussion here already, check them out for some good tips.

To answer your Qs though...

1. The resolution should be set to the monitors native resolution, it is different for each monitor. My 20" for example is set to 1680x1050, that's it's native res, which it performs best at.

2. AA is not really required at anything above 1680x1050, IMHO.

Widescreen Gaming Forum

Widescreens are just like any other monitor except bigger. And better. And sexier.

I highly recommend getting a WS. Personally I will never go back to the "other" standards. Right now most PC monitors that are widescreen are at a 16:10 aspect ratio (most HDTVs are 16:9). Between a 19", 20.1" and a 22" I would recommend a 20.1" screen because the difference between a 19" and 20.1" in size is pretty big and a 22" is just so expensive. Also, just because a game does not support widescreen does not mean you will not be able to play it, it just means that sometimes the screen will be a little stretched out. Visit the link above if you want to know what games support widescreen, how to enable it if you can't in-game, and reviews on some monitors.

Once you go wide, you'll never go back.

Edited by Nutlink

Widescreen Gaming Forum

Widescreens are just like any other monitor except bigger. And better. And sexier.

I highly recommend getting a WS. Personally I will never go back to the "other" standards. Right now most PC monitors that are widescreen are at a 16:10 aspect ratio (most HDTVs are 16:9). Between a 19", 20.1" and a 22" I would recommend a 20.1" screen because the difference between a 19" and 20.1" in size is pretty big and a 22" is just so expensive. Also, just because a game does not support widescreen does not mean you will not be able to play it, it just means that sometimes the screen will be a little stretched out. Visit the link above if you want to know what games support widescreen, how to enable it if you can't in-game, and reviews on some monitors.

Once you go wide, you'll never go back.

Thanks. When I do get my new monitor, how can I prevent it from crapping out like my old one? Could the sleep mode have ruined my 17" LCD?

Shut it off when not in use is about all I can think of. How long did you have the monitor for? I see it's a BenQ, but what model?

Some of us love to hear about other peoples purchases on technology, so be sure to let us know when you get a new monitor and what model it is :)

Shut it off when not in use is about all I can think of. How long did you have the monitor for? I see it's a BenQ, but what model?

Some of us love to hear about other peoples purchases on technology, so be sure to let us know when you get a new monitor and what model it is :)

It was a Benq FP757 and I've had it since 2005. It did shut off by itself when not in use because I set windows power controls to shut it off after 15 minutes if not in use. So could it be that this sleep mode might have screwed up the monitor's internal settings? I've also had the monitor running in 1280 x 1024 @ 75HZ.