Ghost Recon.net Forums

will an 8800GTS fit ? & what PSU is OK ?

I've decided to buy the 8800GTS although i haven't already bought it cause i am not sure whether my computer has enough room for it. Also i will be buying a new power supply and for that also i am not sure how much room is needed.

Does anyone have any pictures of an 8800GTS in a computer and what are the exact dimensions( height, width, depth) of the card. I have some pictures of the inside of my computer. Is this enough space for the card or is a bigger case needed.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z75/thekakahead/

I dont know how to make the images show on the post.

I am concerned that the card will touch something else and melt it due to the heat. Your input is valued.

Edited by Kakanater

Before placing your order please post the the make and model of both the GPU and PSU you intend on getting.

Usually if you check the manufacturers website you will find either a specifications page or a link to a .PDF which should provide all the info you need.

Also, what series and model is your computer, and what is the Dell P/N # of the PSU (located on the side of the case).

There have been reports of people having problems installing aftermarket PSUs in some of Dell models (different config of the ATX power connector) so I recommend that (before ordering) you check on Dells forums to what other people with the same system as ours did in regards to the PSU replacement.

PC Power & Cooling http://www.pcpower.com/home/ makes Dell specific upgrades, but these are really for older (than yours) systems and don't offer much more power.

The dell series i have is a Dimension 9100 I haven't checked for the PSU number since opening and closing the case is frustrating. The GPU which i think means Graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS, I am either going to go with the Antec TP Trio 650 or 550, since a guy on the dell forums said that should fit in the case. But i am not sure if he is right.

Edited by Kakanater

After doing some research on the Dell Forums, I found out that my Dimension 9100 computer with 375W should be able to run the 8800GTS, should I do this or stick on the safe side, shell out a hundred dollars for an Antec TP Trio 550 which might or might not fit in my case. If I do choose not to upgrade my PSU, what are the chances that the PSU or something will die quickly, the guys on the dell Forums seem to have no trouble at all with their cards after a month or two.

[Merged with your original thread about this]

Edited by Pave Low

I would not risk it, not with a 375w PSU. Plus you don't have to spend $100 on a PSU that will work, although if you are willing to spend $100, I suggest something like a 600W OCZ or Seasonic.

After doing some research on the Dell Forums, I found out that my Dimension 9100 computer with 375W should be able to run the 8800GTS, should I do this or stick on the safe side, shell out a hundred dollars for an Antec TP Trio 550 which might or might not fit in my case. If I do choose not to upgrade my PSU, what are the chances that the PSU or something will die quickly, the guys on the dell Forums seem to have no trouble at all with their cards after a month or two.

Try it and see what happens... Do the math, depending on how many drives and etc you have in your case you can find the info online and gestimate how much wattage you need. Chances are it's below 550, probably well below.

My PSU is @400 and I sometimes suspect that it is to weak for my meager 1900XT. Every little extra on your computer needs some power, even the USB external fan.

If you are to upgrade, don't settle for a minimum upgrade which makes you regret it when you are about to upgrade another part of your PC in the near future.

After two weeks of researching and worrying I finally placed an order for a BFG 8800GTS OC2 from Bestbuy, I went with best buy instead of newegg cause it cost 90 dollars less than newegg, but the only problem is it was backordered so it will take 1-2 weeks to ship. I spoke to dell today and found out that i do not need a new power supply and my current one will support it fine. Thank you all for you valuable input over the last few days. :)

[Merged with your existing thread about this - Please stick to ONE thread about this & in the correct forum]

Edited by Pave Low

ill take a pic of mine tomorrow if you still want it.

oh dont forget about the amps. Under amp the thing and you will be RMAing it soon.

Edited by pz3

little messy right now... was ripping things apart the otherday trying some different configurations. Bassicly it is about 2cm longer then a 6800GT and about 5cm longer then a 7900GS...Takes up an additional slot.

as far as your case goes it should fit if im looking at the pics right.... how temps go I have no idea shouldnt be to bad though....

As for PSU.... Combine all +12v rails for a total of 28 amps is minimum. Otherwise you risk burning it out....

on the side of your PSU it should say what you have. I couldnt read it a little blurry

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5342/weeje1.jpg

Moderator Edit: Please keep image sizes within the rules!