NHL 08

Hockeystick

Belive it or not, but I like hockey.

I'm looking forward to NHL 08, even though NHL 07 was a huge disappointed (for me at least). I'd like to see what they've done with the skating system as that was one of the biggest flaws in NHL 07.

IMO NHL 2K7 was much better than NHL 07 so I'm looking forward to NHL 2K8 too but there are no previews of that game yet.

Anyway, previews of NHL 08

IGN

Gamespot

Edited by Hockeystick

The ESPN 07 (on PS) is pretty fun...The EA NHL 07 is really boring compared to NHL06 on PC.

Im playin with my keyboard, find it more easier than w a pad...

Edited by pagey

I'm looking forward to NHL 08, even though NHL 07 was a huge disappointed (for me at least). I'd like to see what they've done with the skating system as that was one of the biggest flaws in NHL 07.

I've been casually playing the NHL series off and on since 1995, and picked up the last 3 years (NHL05-07) for the PC since my son is really into hockey. Also just was at a LAN party where we played 4-on-4 NHL07 on a PC with PS2 controller-PC adapters and it was a blast.

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention that there was a major change in the skating system? Can you elaborate? What other things didn't you like about '07?

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention that there was a major change in the skating system? Can you elaborate? What other things didn't you like about '07?

Sorry, I meant the the X360 version :P

The skating system in NHL 07 (next-gen version aka X360 version) is very stiff and imprecise if you compare with NHL 2K7 or the current-gen of NHL 07 (PC, PS2). You can't really skate slow. If you want to move your player like 1 feet to the right when you're playing power play then he will end up like 3 feet away from where you want him because he skates too fast. In the end he will just skate around in circles.

This problem makes defensive play annoying and boring. It's frustratingly hard to keep your players in position to block shots. The AI doesn't make up for the poor control. They can get stuck somewhere or they just skate around in circles waiting for a pass.

I was a bit disappointed with the current-gen version too since it really lacked in features. They moved the pass function to the right analog stick , improved some animations... and that's it (gameplay wise). Still precalculated goals and the same graphics from last year. Hey, even the intro before face off is from last year. It's still better than the X360 version though... but I already have NHL 06 so that's why I stick with NHL 2K7 this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Demo now available on Marketplace.

EDIT:

The demo is really good. Senators vs Ducks (of course). The new skate engine is great but I do have a few issues with the gameplay.

1. It's a bit too easy to score during shootouts. Goalie-AI must be improved.

2. The players seem to freeze from time to time, not too often though.

3. The left analog-stick is too sensetive when changing faceoff formations.

I'm probably getting this one, unless the 2K8 demo is better of course.

Edited by Hockeystick

• 4 weeks later...

The PC version is NHL 06.3 unfortunately. It got the same graphics fron 06 and the same player markers from last year. The only feature is the skill stick that's not as good or polished as in the 360 version. I'm very disappointed in EA for letting down the PC Gamers AGAIN. I can still get the 360 version though, but I'll wait.