Ballistics Info

<var name="weapon_penetration_type" type="number" default="0"/> <!-- how a weapon penetrates; 0 = normal (0m), 1 = sniper (1m), 2 = rifle (variable with max_penetration) -->

<var name="max_penetration" type="number" default="10"/> <!-- penetration value in cm for penetration_type=2 weapons -->

<var name="penetration_chance" type="number" default="2"/> <!-- 1/x chance of penetration for penetration_type=2 weapons -->

I have NO idea what this means. But, if it means how it reads, I would think it would make a lot of people happy :yes:

<var name="weapon_penetration_type" type="number" default="0"/> <!-- how a weapon penetrates; 0 = normal (0m), 1 = sniper (1m), 2 = rifle (variable with max_penetration) -->

<var name="max_penetration" type="number" default="10"/> <!-- penetration value in cm for penetration_type=2 weapons -->

<var name="penetration_chance" type="number" default="2"/> <!-- 1/x chance of penetration for penetration_type=2 weapons -->

I have NO idea what this means. But, if it means how it reads, I would think it would make a lot of people happy :yes:

I wonder if this information can be changed at the client end to alter the weapons characteristics?

Well, I'm sure the modding potential is viiirtually unlimited. My post is more directed at the vanilla (if that's the correct term) GRAW 2. In GRAW 1 people were conplaining that rifle rounds didn't penetrate through material. I'm hoping that this little bit of code means that Grin addressed that issue in GRAW 2.

Edit:

I think it was Judge_Recluse that had stated that he had hit someone behind a fence, but not with every round. I'm wondering if that is related to this line:

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

• 1 month later...

Doing some digging for you Cangaroo,

Besides all the penetration jokes you can think of ;)

This is a template file, which means when the tools are out? you can mod the template to your taste and add a mod.bundle with it, call it Cangaroo.bundle and it will be a new mod.

sb_weapon_data.xml

viii

we assume mods will be able to be added via third party bundle system

I wonder if this information can be changed at the client end to alter the weapons characteristics?

They could, but the server XML files should always override in the case of the user not being kicked by the anti-cheat, as every bullet path is determined on the server side, not on the player side.

It was I who stated shooting someone behind the fence, but it was a chain link fence I was talking about. The OP if Im not mistaken, was saying his rounds were bouncing off the fence instead of going through.

So sadly I have not had any bullets strike anyone behind a wooden fence, or even a metal one.

But that is a nice find, maybe some tests would be in order to find out the truth of the matter.

It works like this:

There is a multiplier factor that determines how far if any the bullet will travel after strike 0-10 I can get you the factors if you want.

----------------

Wolfsong, I had to assume (not my favourite thing to do) that the tools will include the ability to add mods easily. The only sure easy way to add a mod is via the bundle system.

quick.bundle =Master bundle

patch.bundle =over rides any quick.bundle files

user_mod.bundle= over rides any quick & patch.bundle files

to activate the mod, place the mod.bundle in the bundle folder etc.

If GRIN does not implement an easy mods system then we are all going to have a hard time. I can only think that there is an easy way coming to add user mods on the server side & client side and like the custom map system, means a bundle file, which holds all the required data. ;)

Besides all the penetration jokes you can think of ;)
To me, that is the most remarkable thing about this thread, how Canga managed to miss that glaring oportunity, most unlike him!
Okay, fine. How about this (soft-sell approach (no pun intended), more subtle, less obvious):

It works like this:

There is a multiplier factor that determines how far if any the bullet will travel after strike 0-10 I can get you the factors if you want.

Is it scalable, like in real life? For example, if you say your "bullet" has a penetration of 10, it's really only 3? Is it possible to have very small numbers, like 0.25, for people like Sleepdoc?

That would be called hacking ;)

So sadly I have not had any bullets strike anyone behind a wooden fence, or even a metal one.

I have **ABSOLUTELY** been shot through a wooden fence. No question about it. however, I cannot confirm if the bullet passed through the an actual wooden slat, or passed between them via the spaces...... and I can confirm, however, that the wooden fence did not come down during the breif engagement upon which I was killed. And i know I was being engaged though the fence becuase we both detected eachother becuase we could see eachother through the spaces ..... And FYI. I'm talking about an enemy AI guy in coop. not another human.

Edited by Sleepdoc