Ghost Recon.net Forums

Are These Random Access Memory Compatible?

I am looking at purchasing two chips of Random Access Memory for my new computer. I do not know if these chips will be compatible with my computer.

The first RAM chip is:

G.SKILL Value 1 Gigabyte 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

The second RAM chip is:

PQI POWER Series 512 Megabytes 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory

Will these two Random Access Memory chips work with the following computer system:

Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS Socket939

Processor Speed: 2.4 Gigahertz

Edited by Militiaman

What motherboard?

I just ordered a barebones computer without any Random Access Memory. I don't think they list the information on what motherboard the computer comes with but I did find the following information below on the motherboard:

1xPCI Express x16, 3 x PCI Slots

4 x 184pin Dual Channel DDR 400

Is that helpful?

Edited by Militiaman

Actually you mention "Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS" in your original post. That is in fact your motherboard. The manufacturers page for this board can be found at http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/Produc...id=en-gb0000123

If you go through to the specifications page you will see that the board supports "Dual Channel DDR 400" memory. So both of the parts you listed should work reasonably well. However if you want to get decent performance from the memory in this system I would strongly suggest that you install two matching DIMMs to take advantage of the dual channel feature in the motherboard -- this will essentially allow your system to communicate with both DIMMS simultaneously rather than sequentially.

However if you want to get decent performance from the memory in this system I would strongly suggest that you install two matching DIMMs to take advantage of the dual channel feature in the motherboard -- this will essentially allow your system to communicate with both DIMMS simultaneously rather than sequentially.

So would I be better off purchasing two matching sticks of 512 DDR SD Random Access Memory rather than a Gigabyte memory stick?

Edited by Militiaman

Yes. Two matched sticks of 512, running in dual channel mode (which is why the need for a matched set; similar enough sticks won't go dual channel) will always perform better than a 1gig stick of comparable RAM.

I am looking on NewEgg.com at the Random Access Memory chips.

None of the Component Part Number or Module Part Numbers match exactly on the Random Access Memory compatibility that I have seen so far. Do Component Part or Module Part Numbers have to match exactly in order for them to work in my motherboard?

Bottomline: I can't seem to find any RAM that matches my motherboard on NewEgg.com. I find this hard to believe.

Edited by Militiaman