Destroyed vehicles behaving strangely…A Macintosh issue?

Ingeloop, who has been beta testing missions for me, encountered a couple of strange things in some of my missions. However, I cannot reproduce the problems on my machines. Since he is on Mac and I am on PC, I am wondering if the problem is a cross platform issue.

There are a couple of missions where I use the ‘destroyvehicle’ script command to cause an explosion of an air vehicle while it is in flight. When the air vehicle is out of sight, I use the ‘hidething’ script command to hide it. In Ingeloop’s games, the air vehicle is still visible. On all of my PC systems, the vehicle disappears without problem as intended. Sometimes the special effects generated by the ‘destroyvehicle’ command remain (smoke or fire), but the vehicle itself is gone.

In another instance, I have a stationary Hind (Blakaron’s Crashed Hind) on the ground and use the ‘destroyvehicle’ command to cause an explosion and set it aflame. On my PC machines, this works fine and the vehicle remains in place with fire and smoke effects. In Ingeloops game, the vehicle starts flipping head over tail continuously in place once destroyed.

Has anyone encountered this sort of thing before? Does anyone know what is going on?

Its very frustrating, as some of the cool effects I am trying to achieve in some of these missions is dependant on the predictable behavior of the ‘destroyvehicle’ and ‘hidething’ script commands.

I figure you mean his ground version of the Hind 24? I just went in to hisOPFOR Veh Pack test mission and destroyed it a couple times by opening the mission twice....both times it jerked forward first then jerked around a little every few seconds plus there were screen flickers occuring....BTW the os is XP Home Ed. I've never really liked that thing because it is at least .5 to 1 meter above the ground and I was unable to get it to be flush by changing the Z value...I wonder if this has any affect on the instability or if that is why he left it at that alt? So it would not sink into the ground and back up?

BTW I used rockets instead of the script command..

one last edit..harntrox may be a good source to query about this...

mig :ph34r:

:hmm:

Assuming we are all using the same vehicles here :shifty: , i took Mig`s post in, and tried myself.

No issues what so ever here.

....both times it jerked forward first then jerked around a little every few seconds plus there were screen flickers occuring....BTW the os is XP Home Ed.

XP 2005 Media test complete, now sending it too my XP Home PC to see...

*EDIT* XP Home OS fine also?

:wacko:

Tinker

I just opened it in the Veh Editor and it is a truck which explains to me the behavior I've seen since I have also seen this happen with other trucks...not a lot of movement mind you, like the truck keeps settling around on the suspension.....not any wacky flipping about..

In another instance, I have a stationary Hind (Blakaron’s Crashed Hind) on the ground and use the ‘destroyvehicle’ command to cause an explosion and set it aflame. On my PC machines, this works fine and the vehicle remains in place with fire and smoke effects. In Ingeloops game, the vehicle starts flipping head over tail continuously in place once destroyed.

:hmm:

I can`t see how that could happen, if it is already working fine on another PC? You say it is fine, why not on another PC? Can`t be on your side. Must be a MAC issue there somewere.

Don`t know anything really about MAC`s though either. I thought it was just the file name issues with GR? Any file names with more than 32 i think, would crash a MAC user. Have not seen any other MAC issues around.

Need a tester, feel free :whistle::rofl:

Tinker

well last I opened it what I got was a sort of shift back n forth and some texture changes, I think what I'm seeing could very well be an issue with the nearby helo and its rotors causing a funny graphic anomoly? Anyway, I destroyed that one with a script command and saw no "flippant" behavior.... :)

I have seen a couple of the HX5 vehs do some pretty wacky stuff when hit but think a lot of that was animated..the motorcycle has really gone nuts before during testing.....

hi guys!

im glad you're kinda on to this.

i really hope it's not a Mac issue and i do not think it is, cos i've never seen this happen before.

@Tinker

throw ATO a PM and volounteer to be a tester of this great campaign.

the only issues Mac has with GR (to my restricted knowlidge) is the more-than-31-letters thing,

wav sound files and some .rsb textures that needs to be resaved.

other than that it's just rock'n roll. :)

hi guys!

im glad you're kinda on to this.

i really hope it's not a Mac issue and i do not think it is, cos i've never seen this happen before.

@Tinker

throw ATO a PM and volounteer to be a tester of this great campaign.

the only issues Mac has with GR (to my restricted knowlidge) is the more-than-31-letters thing,

wav sound files and some .rsb textures that needs to be resaved.

other than that it's just rock'n roll. :)

At this point i agree that it should not be a mac issue.

So, how can it work fine on 1 pc and not the other still? <_< Maybe some incorrect files? I don`t think the fact i have a mac pc and this graph card and so and so are going to cause this. death animations files i think atm. Had a funny issue...hmmm, mig said it was tagged as a truck? My quad, atm, is in the workshops :shifty: , because when you destroy it, it CTD you. Also if you shoot the driver it keeps going when it should stop, then CTD you. Tagged as a truck! I`ll try it as a Hummer and see tomorrow.

Tinker

;)

Everyone, thanks for your input.

Tinker, if you're serious about beta testing, let me know. I have the first 14 missions in Chernaya Noch complete minus some small teaking and a few character/actor changes. (I also have a new mission that I am working on now that will squeeze in between the current 12 and 13...thanks to Ingeloop. He just had to create those Kadyrovski Militia characters and now I had to script a mission to use them in. :rocky: ) As of now, up to Mission 14 is actually 16 'action' missions and a number of 'briefing' missions.

At this point, I don't mind bringing in a new beta tester. Since the campaign story unfolds as an important part of the mod, I didn't want to bring any new beta testers until all of the early missions were finished and the new beta tester could experience the campaign as its meant to unfold.

If you're serious, I'll package up a download for you early next week. Its now about 300 MB compressed and just over 1G uncompressed. I'm really curious to see if you experience the same problems as Ingeloop did.

Edited by ATO_Architect

regradless of what the issue is - why not just teleport off the map and problem solved?

That may be a partial solution to some of the problems (the air vehicles in flight) but doesn't answer the issue of the flipping crashed hind on the ground. It also requires maps where I can effectively teleport the vehicle out of sight. Some of the maps I am working with are restrictive of where I can put zones or reference objects.