Ghost Recon.net Forums

It's not cheap to stay at the cutting edge of PC gaming and the industry is led by the drive to make gaming realistic and it's getting pretty close! Like any new technology, you pay through the nose for the latest and greatest. GRAW and now GRAW2 are prime examples. I've not seen GRAW on a top spec. system but the various trailers show what can be achieved. Crysis being a good example.

Kids still at school will generally go for console 'run and gun' arcade stuff but if your mature enough to want to play a tactical game, such as GRAW and on a pc, then you're likely to hit the wall of cost! If you have generous parents some might consider you lucky, others might think you're spoilt, I don't think the two necessarily go together. I think you're lucky if your dad is already a GRAW convert and has a high spec system anyway!! :P

Or, it's learning when to upgrade, what to upgrade to, and what parts are have the best bang-for-the-buck ratio.

I've always had a gaming rig throughout my entire life that I could throw nearly all my games at with maxed out settings. Granted, my dad is a geek and so am I, and I've only really truly started managing my own rig three months ago. However, when you build your first rig, it's such a gigantic learning experience, and when you actually play PC games everyday then go onto a 360 playing some multiplayer games, you'll feel something is missing. PC devs usually add more detail than console devs.

My current rig (I bought everything myself here, and I'm 16. I do have a job though, so that always helps :D.):

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.35 GHz

2 GB PC2-5400 DDR2 Corsair XMS2

eVGA Geforce 7900 GT KO

Sceptre X23WG 23" widescreen monitor

Logitech Z-5500 THX-certified 5.1 surround

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

Hi Agent S,

I think you've proved the point!

You contribute AND your dad is a GEEK. 0:)

Your spec is better than mine right now but I've been focusing on other things, financially speaking. Prior to the current system, I've upgraded around every 18 months. My current rig, with a Radeon 9800Pro, is over 3 years old but has been able to run GRAW acceptably with lower settings. the ATI1950Pro, I just installed, has improved that but a complete upgrade is inevitable. :rolleyes:

Soon I'm looking at:-

Asus MR232 MVP AM2 940 DDR

Athlon 64 x 2 6000+ 3Ghz

2 Gb PC4300 533Mhz DDRII

400Gb WD Sata

Vista Home Premium

But I'm an 'ancient' with money! :P

Hi Agent S,

I think you've proved the point!

You contribute AND your dad is a GEEK. 0:)

Your spec is better than mine right now but I've been focusing on other things, financially speaking. Prior to the current system, I've upgraded around every 18 months. My current rig, with a Radeon 9800Pro, is over 3 years old but has been able to run GRAW acceptably with lower settings. the ATI1950Pro, I just installed, has improved that but a complete upgrade is inevitable. :rolleyes:

Soon I'm looking at:-

Asus MR232 MVP AM2 940 DDR

Athlon 64 x 2 6000+ 3Ghz

2 Gb PC4300 533Mhz DDRII

400Gb WD Sata

Vista Home Premium

But I'm an 'ancient' with money! :P

if you are an ancient with money you should fork some more cash up and get a something faster than an 1950pro, it is a very nice card if you are on a budget but lacks a bit if you want high resolutions. And also, I don+t think that you should get Vista, if you do remember to make a dual-boot system, or triple if you like Linux, because you will run into problems with Vista.

I got:

x1950xt 512MB

E6600@3400

2GB of ram

And I still feel that I would like some more power when running Graw 1. Haven´t tried Graw 2 demo. Of course I run it at 1680x1050 so it takes a bit of power.

soon to be specs

VGA XFX PVT84JUDD3 8600GT 256MB R

PSU CM|RS-500-ASAA 500W RT

MB GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R 775 R

CPU INTEL|C2D E6320 1.86G 775 4M R

MEM 1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK

Hi CO,

That looks like it'll do the job :thumbsup:

Agent S,

The 1950 is an interim measure to improve what my current system does in GRAW (and it does!) A system upgrade will include a current card but I haven't decided which yet. ;)

I'll not move to Vista until it's settled down a bit, maybe another 6 months?

Edited by tecmic

CPU INTEL|C2D E6320 1.86G 775 4M R

is this a multicore processor? the 1.86 Ghz caught my eye

Yes, same chip as I've just bought. It's a core 2 duo = "C2D", two cores running at 1.86ghz each.

A very easy chip to OC, mine's currently at 2.8ghz with plans to break 3.0ghz when Joker gets his hands on it again! :o

Well computers up and running. still installing stuff. But ive played GRAW 1 and it runs insanely better.

Yeah its a multi core. Runs about 6.4 ghz. Me and my dad we installing the windows again ( =/ ) and he was sitting there waiting for something to install. then he realized it was already done.

Edited by Commander Outcast

Well computers up and running. still installing stuff. But ive played GRAW 1 and it runs insanely better.

Yeah its a multi core. Runs about 6.4 ghz. Me and my dad we installing the windows again ( =/ ) and he was sitting there waiting for something to install. then he realized it was already done.

Dual-cores sure are something eh? It took less than an hour to install XP on my system.

And wow, is it stable on stock cooling when over-clocked 350 MHz.

Edited by Agent Smith