advice on upgrading for graw 2.

cajun47

amd 64 3200

1024 ram

9800 pro

thats what i have now. i run the graw 2 demo on lowest possible settings and get 20 to 35 fps. i dont care about the graphics, low settings is not ideal but i dont mind. its the lag i get from low frames from high action, many players on server, and when i have to turn around and aim quickly that bothers me. i rather not spend too much money on hardware right now but i want better for graw 2.

so im asking if a $100 7600 gs agp would help much. the reason why i dont want a 7600 gt agp or a x1950 pro is cause my psu is 420 watt but with only one 12v rail with ONLY 13 amps. and i dont want to buy a new psu, i rather just build a whole new pc later on. im thinking this 7600 gs agp will run on my psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125039

do you think that easy $100 upgrade will get graw 2 running on low but much better fps?

i really rather not spend $130 to $200 on a 7600 gt agp or x1950 pro agp then another $50 to $100 on a psu when i'll be able to build a whole new pc in 6 months or so.

I'm assuming your Athlon 64 is the single core version.

What's your budget? You can build a badass rig for LESS than $500 if you use a lot of older parts. I put together a X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR2 PC2-5400 and 7900 GS rig for like $450 on NewEgg. That's including all of the required parts too.

I'm also on an AGP system at the moment, basics as follows:

Athlon XP3000

1gig PC2700

BFG 7600GS 512mb

XP Pro SP2

It's been optimised to run as good as it can but I can only get an average of 15 - 20 fps on the demo, with everything set to low. I know your CPU is way better than mine but not sure if just the gfx card will give you what you're looking for.

I've struggled with PC capability right from the launch of GRAW but with GRAW2 about to hit the stores I have finally taken the plunge and recieved today:

Asus P5B mobo

E6320 1.86mhz 4mb L2 cache

2 gig geil PC6400 DDR2

250gig SATA

Artic cooler freezer 7 pro

BFG 8800GS OC 320mb pci-e

Antec 900 gaming case

DVD/RW

That lot set me back £560 and still requires a few bits from my current build, namely my type R PSU. But I've spent 6 months trying to work out what next stop gap measure I can take to get GRAW to play half decent.

I appreciate this isn't everybodies solution but as Agent Smith said a new rig is probably the way to go.

Well there's a couple of things you can do.

2 gig memory would help a lot especially if it's paired.

Get a AMD X2 3800 processor (it worked very well in GRAW1 for me sadly the mobo crashed and getting a s939 micro atx mobo which is any good was hard, so I bought some new gear, but will have the 3800 as a server)

and in graphics, the 7600 GT will beat the GS version, even if it has more memory, I could run my

AMD X2 3800, Asus Geforce 7600 GT (silent! that drops power consumption without loss of graphic power!) Soundblaster x-fi music with a 380 watt psu..... So If there is a silent version of the 7600 GT AGP that would be the best option. (and rather have 256 MB ddr3 than 512 mb ddr2!)

Good luck

Well there's a couple of things you can do.

2 gig memory would help a lot especially if it's paired.

Get a AMD X2 3800 processor (it worked very well in GRAW1 for me sadly the mobo crashed and getting a s939 micro atx mobo which is any good was hard, so I bought some new gear, but will have the 3800 as a server)

and in graphics, the 7600 GT will beat the GS version, even if it has more memory, I could run my

AMD X2 3800, Asus Geforce 7600 GT (silent! that drops power consumption without loss of graphic power!) Soundblaster x-fi music with a 380 watt psu..... So If there is a silent version of the 7600 GT AGP that would be the best option. (and rather have 256 MB ddr3 than 512 mb ddr2!)

Good luck

Yes, you definately want a little bit better graphics card. I also just built a pc and the 7600gt that I got is not the best thing out there right now but it runs GRAW 2 really nicely.

If you are at all into overclocking I would recommend the AMD x2 3600. Its core frequency is 1.9 ghz but I have overclocked mine to 2.7 at the moment and it is very stable. Others have overclocked it to 3.0 ghz, but I'm not that daring. My build cost me about $400 for everything after mail in rebates. The prices for my stuff has gone down even more since I bought it. Here is what I bought:

Biostar Tforce 550 mobo

AMD 64 X2 3600 Brisbane

OCZ 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual channel Kit Memory

If you don't like to wait for the MIR for the memory here is some decent gaming memory for an already low price:

A-Data 2gb DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

I bought this Video card but it was $80 after MIR when I bought it. This is also good.

If you are not big into overclocking go with a higher x2 amd cpu. I would also check to see how affordable you can go into the core 2 duo arena. I'm sure you can use your old dvd drive and hard drive for your new build and for everything I listed above there you'll spend about $300 - $350.

I can run the demo on my machine with the parts above at around 45 or so fps with my all my settings on medium to high. I don't have the specific settings in front of me because I'm at work but it runs really smooth. Memory helps and a good video card.

I've struggled with PC capability right from the launch of GRAW but with GRAW2 about to hit the stores I have finally taken the plunge and recieved today:

Asus P5B mobo

E6320 1.86mhz 4mb L2 cache

2 gig geil PC6400 DDR2

250gig SATA

Artic cooler freezer 7 pro

BFG 8800GS OC 320mb pci-e

Antec 900 gaming case

DVD/RW

Very nice.

I'm waiting for this eVGA 256-A8N506-AX GF 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP to go below $100 before I upgrade my AMDXP 2Ghz with paired 2 GB Corsair XMS.

It currently has a BFG 128 DDR2 6600 GT...ok with HL2, DOOM3 & BF2 ok, but not with either GRAW and quite possible GRAW2. <_<

You'll be getting a big bottleneck with that card. I suggest you also get an entirely new system.

I'm waiting for this eVGA 256-A8N506-AX GF 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP to go below $100 before I upgrade my AMDXP 2Ghz with paired 2 GB Corsair XMS.

It currently has a BFG 128 DDR2 6600 GT...ok with HL2, DOOM3 & BF2 ok, but not with either GRAW and quite possible GRAW2. <_<

You'll be getting a big bottleneck with that card. I suggest you also get an entirely new system.

...Hmmm, whats a good compromise card?

...Hmmm, whats a good compromise card?

Card? Just get a new system. It'll last longer and everything that you do on your PC will benefit from it.

"Processor: 2 Ghz (2.8Ghz recommandé)"

i dont understand this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103036

thats a 1.9ghz amd dual core. does that mean its 3.8ghz in relation to graw 2 recommended cpu?

Don't gimp yourself when it comes to building a PC. It's one of the worst things you can do.

What's your budget?

i want to spend the least amount of money to play graw 2, crysis, unreal 3 games on medium and 1024 at 50 fps. nothing more.

video gaming and computers are not at the top of my list. i buy real guns and thousands of round of ammo as my main hobby.

Woah, PC prices are DROPPING!!

Look at this system I put together at $443 excluding any shipping costs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-5400 DDR2

eVGA Geforce 7900 GS KO

Western Digital Caviar SE 200 GB S-ATA

MSI K9N6SGM-V Barebone kit

NOTE: This is assuming that you are going to use many older parts, such as mouse, keyboard, monitor, sound card, speakers, operating system, etc.

I also suggest you get a better PSU from either Thermaltake, Rosewill, or Antec.

Edited by Agent Smith

im still confussed about how to measure a cpu compared to the recommended cpu for graw 2. like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ is way above the graw 2 recommended?

how does the 7800GTX(crysis recommended) compare to the 7900 gs?

GRAW2 I think is basing on the Athlon 64/Pentium 4 when it comes to clocking speeds.

The 7900 GS is more powerful compared to the 7800 GTX, and is $200 cheaper.

I really suggest you read up.

"Processor: 2 Ghz (2.8Ghz recommandé)"

i dont understand this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103036

thats a 1.9ghz amd dual core. does that mean its 3.8ghz in relation to graw 2 recommended cpu?

No, Its two cores running at 1.9 ghz each. Graw is not a dual core optimized game but it really does help to have dual cores or even quad for that matter.

The 3600 is the best overclocker of the am2 x2's in my opinion but as I said earlier, if you are not into overclocking I would not recommend that cpu/mobo combo.

Agent smith, he would not be gimping himself with that processor. Like I said in my post above, I got the same one and play Graw 2 at around 45 fps. battlefield two caps out at 99 fps on my machine. anyways, building a pc is much more affordable now then it was even a year ago.

Agent smith, he would not be gimping himself with that processor. Like I said in my post above, I got the same one and play Graw 2 at around 45 fps. battlefield two caps out at 99 fps on my machine. anyways, building a pc is much more affordable now then it was even a year ago.

Try building a better system for less than $500.

I already have a GRAW2 compatible PC Agent Smith. :D I was referring to this older system. How about this card:

XFX GeForce 7600GT 560MHz 256MB AGP --- would this card still have a bottleneck?

I already have a GRAW2 compatible PC Agent Smith. :D I was referring to this older system. How about this card:

XFX GeForce 7600GT 560MHz 256MB AGP --- would this card still have a bottleneck?

With an Athlon XP?! I highly doubt it. You'll get way more performance out of any card above the 6600 GT if you get a dual-core minimum.

Edited by Agent Smith

I run:

- Intel P4 s775 3.4Ghz with H/T

- 2gig DDR400 (4x512 sticks)

- BFG 7800gs AGP O/C Edition

- Gigabyte 8IPE775 Pro mobo

I am running Graw2 Demo on 1024*768, all on medium, 2xAA, 4xAF and getting 35-40fps ingame online with 12-15 players in a server.

Its running it OK, but i am building a new system to cope with Crysis / GRAW2 / COD4 on HIGH settings so i can drooooool while being pwned.

LOCK N LOAD!

PS. I run BF2 all on a High / Medium mix, 1280-1024 res, full view and get 60fps.

BF2142 on Medium at 1280*1024 also and get 40fps.

Just incase you play those games and want to compare performance also.

Edited by RnegadeVyp3r