Americas Army....by redstorm official..

5timechamp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Ubi is still publishing, brettzies. They're pretty bound by ubi's design theory.

I just realized that after I hit submit! Doh. Well, hopefully the Army will have some say in the game, that's pretty much what I meant anyway.

the previews mention the UAV drone highlighting targets and intel on the ground.... i just hope this is a tac map only feature (if at all) i dont want cross com in this game...if its regular joe on the ground at least make it so only the squad leader has access to the blue "falcon" tracker..

In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather count my chickens than be stuck with a leaky, half-empty glass....

The game has been officially announced FOR ONE DAY!!! :wall:

It seems that the people hating on this game, are the same people conjuring up conspiracy theories about a GRAW2 patch cover-up (which turned out to be DEAD WRONG) and hating on GRAW2 in general as well.

I'm just sayin'.... ;)

If Ubi had not been asked for the information and the patch, we would not have had a confirmation this week. As it was it took them nearly two weeks to answer a simple question.

As far as AA2 is concerned, we have very little to go on now except Ubi's recent record and what we have seen. That record is simplified, faster paced game-play.

Based on the footage they decided to release for AA2, which is all we have to go on, it is looking more like GRAW2 than original AA in game play. That is not a good thing in my opinion.

I'm not saying that the devs at RSE do a poor job in developing games. They do a pretty darn good job of as a matter of fact, I just am not thrilled with the direction the games are going.

I am not going to apologize for being pessimistic about AA2. It looks to me very much like a shortcut to develop a game inexpensively for a quick cash in. Again, not that the devs are doing a poor or half-arsed job, just that Ubi wants to push out another game using the GRAW engine with the AA name attached, and I don't know if that is the best thing for AA2 game-play.

The original AA on the Xbox was nearly the perfect shooter for my tastes. My ideal AA2 game would play nearly exactly like the first one, with improved graphics and animations, and fixed bugs.

I think it mentions a September release date....maybe a bit rushed..? If they would have announced this for an 08 release date maybe with more time for development and not just a direct copy (use of the same features and functions) of GRAW then maybe people would feel less like we are gonna be on the receiving end of another Ubi quick cash project.

I play GRAW2 almost every night and its fun...but its not what I wanted......team work and tactics, the feeling of actually having to work with other players to achieve a goal is missing. You can be very successful playing GRAW or GRAW2 as a lone gunner, RAMBO style!! It says tactical shooter on the box.....but inside the tactics are missing! <_<

I think it mentions a September release date....maybe a bit rushed..? If they would have announced this for an 08 release date maybe with more time for development and not just a direct copy (use of the same features and functions) of GRAW then maybe people would feel less like we are gonna be on the receiving end of another Ubi quick cash project.

I play GRAW2 almost every night and its fun...but its not what I wanted......team work and tactics, the feeling of actually having to work with other players to achieve a goal is missing. You can be very successful playing GRAW or GRAW2 as a lone gunner, RAMBO style!! It says tactical shooter on the box.....but inside the tactics are missing! <_<

They don't have much of one, to my memory. ROAS was a fairly realistic game, though, and UBI made that. They also publish Silent Hunter, IL2, and all kinds of other sim series.

Just' cause GRAW sells better as an action tactical game doesn't mean ubi wants to 'ruin' every franchise they have the rights to.

Edited by Brettzies

I'm saying they are bound by ubi to clear up facts, and clarifying that I don't think being bound by ubi is always a bad thing.

Graw was awesome, GR was awesome, and AA was awesome. I doubt this will play exactly like any of them, but I'm kinda expecting it'll be pretty sweet too.

I think GRAW and GRAW2 have a lot of good qualities (i'm more impressed with the sound than on any other game I've ever played) but, as good as GRAWAGE is I think most of us real GR lovers see it as GR in an alternate universe. Kind of something we can enjoy but never feel for as we feel/felt for GR.

So in a way we are enjoying GRAW while deep down wishing still for a true sucessor to GR.

There have been many hopeful but ultimatly dissapointing shooters that have come and gone. I"m alway hopeing that something will come along though that will grab me as GR did and though I do like GRAW 1 and (based on the demo) probably 2, they arn't it.

I've just downloaded and watched a game preview from gametrailers.com and to my surprise it got my blood racing a bit.

The reason I say surprise is because A: it's a sexbox 360 game (so unless it's made also for PC I'm out cause I refuse to play shooters with a controller) and B: it's 'Americas Army' called, 'Americans Army: TS' the 'TS' standing for 'True soldier'.

Now, i've played AA before and though I like it, it falls into the category of one of those games that had promise as far as an 'as good or better than GR1 experience' yet failed to deliver.

So why am I so excited by this game? First of all it's made by Red Storm and secondly it clearly doesn't use the same engine as the PC AA game. it looks really solid. Damn, there is even an opening scene that is very remniscient of 'Desert Siege: Oil Refinery' and even better, one of the last scenes is a dead ringer for the GR1 map 'Bridge' with the APC/tank rolling over the rickety old wooden bridge with forest behind it (although this one has a river below instead of a road).

Ok, I know this isn't a GRAW2 specific post and not really even GR but in my opinion the trailer for this game looks more like a true Ghost Recon game than any I've since, well, Ghost Recon.

Damn I hope they convert it for the PC.

Be nice if someone could post some screen grabs of the shots that cunjure up the spirit of GR.

You can find the trailer here: http://www.gametrailers.com/search.php?s=Americas+army%3A+TS

[Moved to the existing 360:AA discussion thread]

Edited by Pave Low

The game is using the GRAW 2 engine from what I've read. It doesn't look GR to me. It looks like AA on crack. Everything seems to move really fast. Then again, the trailer wasn't a very good demonstration of how the game could look because of split second game play scenes.

Nothing wrong with the console GRAW2 engine. It was always the 'implementation' and colour scheme of it that I didnt like as far asthe 360 goes.

I find the PC GRAW enjine to be dull and a little cumbersome but the console one looks nice. If they used it and added GR like sensibilities it then it could be used to great effect.

Them being Red Storm and the US Army probably wanting to go more realistic than the typical UBI game, it might be quite good, er, if it were on a PC that is.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather count my chickens than be stuck with a leaky, half-empty glass....

It seems that the people hating on this game, are the same people conjuring up conspiracy theories about a GRAW2 patch cover-up (which turned out to be DEAD WRONG) and hating on GRAW2 in general as well.

I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I made the conspiracy theories comments about the patch, and I havent as of yet commented on AA, or hated on GRAW2

I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I made the conspiracy theories comments about the patch, and I havent as of yet commented on AA, or hated on GRAW2

Edited by methz68

1. It will be using UE3.0 (It will look better than AA:TS.

Last I saw AA didn't exactly have the best art team. Good engine or not, it still takes skill (which rse has hired an abundance of) to make a good looking game -- I wouldn't necessarily count on aa 3 looking better than red storm's game.

AA2 has been confirmed for US release only. So europeans wont be getting it.

So basically they are saying to europeans, this is the GR game you always wanted but hey you cant play it. To say im not impressed with UBISOFT and RSE at the moment is an understatement.

Ok, a few questions, in case "someone" from RSE might want to send us a little memo on AA. ;)

Based on my experience from Rise of a Soldier, Xbox.

-Will the dot reticule be in the final release? If so, toggle it off as a host option?

-Is exertion/exhaustion still a factor? From running etc, affecting aiming or even death from overexertion after being injured. Also limiting run time?

-In the MP lobby, will there be role slots to fill, or does everyone choose on their own what role type they want to fill? IE will there be 1 slot for team leader, 1 for sniper, 2 for grenadier (whatever the mission demands)

-Will the MP game type be as in ROAS, actual mission simulations? IE: blow up the black hawk, save the pilot, or other multiple objective missions?

-Will there be the proximity voice like in ROAS where another language is substitued when you would hear the enemy?

-Will the gun be lowered when moving at speed? Unable to crouch-walk at speed for any real distance due to pack weight?

-Will we be able to customize any weapons, like the M4?

-What other gametypes will there be? Saw that mentioned in the article.

-Can the host turn off kill notifications?

-Will ROE be addressed? As in, unable to kill downed enemies?

-Expect DLC in the future? I know, early to ask, but I've gotta. :D

Ok, a biggie: will the host be able to change map and game type from the lobby? There will be a lobby, right?

Sept seemed so soon just a few days ago, now it seems like forever! Can't wait to get my paws on this thing!

Edited by Raw Kryptonite

Ok, a few questions, in case "someone" from RSE might want to send us a little memo on AA. ;)

-Will the dot reticule be in the final release? If so, toggle it off as a host option?

-Is exertion/exhaustion still a factor? From running etc, affecting aiming or even death from overexertion after being injured. Also limiting run time?

-In the MP lobby, will there be role slots to fill, or does everyone choose on their own what role type they want to fill? IE will there be 1 slot for team leader, 1 for sniper, 2 for grenadier (whatever the mission demands)

-Will the MP game type be as in ROAS, actual mission simulations? IE: blow up the black hawk, save the pilot, or other multiple objective missions?

-Will there be the proximity voice like in ROAS where another language is substitued when you would hear the enemy?

-Will the gun be lowered when moving at speed? Unable to crouch-walk at speed for any real distance due to pack weight?

Ok, a biggie: will the host be able to change map and game type from the lobby? There will be a lobby, right?

Sept seemed so soon just a few days ago, now it seems like forever! Can't wait to get my paws on this thing!

Your be lucky to get even one question answered. let alone a memo.

All excellent questions. Particularly,

-Can the host turn off kill notifications? -- For an AA game they should be totally removed. The wounding/healing/damage of AA was one of the best. Don't mess with that formula.

-Will ROE be addressed? As in, unable to kill downed enemies? -- I would definitely like to see this return

Also, I would prefer to see the aiming dot totally removed from the game, not just having it as a host option.

Make the game play just like AA.

Make the lobby like AA where assigned fire team roles must be filled out and dictate your load out. Giving players some minor load out options. scopes/silencers/bipods, etc... as in AA.

Improve the lobby so that you don't have to restart a room to change maps.

AA2 has been confirmed for US release only. So europeans wont be getting it.

So basically they are saying to europeans, this is the GR game you always wanted but hey you cant play it. To say im not impressed with UBISOFT and RSE at the moment is an understatement.

Ubisoft is a European company, so I'd say you guys are usually a priority for them.

Probably some technicality of the army deal, or maybe there's just not budget for a worldwide release and they figured they'd only target the country it was about. :huh: