Ghost Recon.net Forums

I suicided with a GL nade today (a pole or a cactus took the heat). But I think it was within 15 meters. How is it with GL nades are they armed at launch? GRAW hadn't that, which was more realistic. Is this a demo issue or should GRIN invent the armed distance for GL nades once again?

Arming distance in GRAW1 was around 10 meters or (in real life ten rotations of the shell after it leaves the launcher) so if you judged 15m, sounds like you were an unlucky nube tuber (another one bites the dust).

I wasn't clear enough, it was well within 15 meters, as in British understatement. I strafed past it at 3 m-4 meters or so. Actually I don't think I would have been killed by it at 10-15 meters.

I wasn't clear enough, it was well within 15 meters, as in British understatement. I strafed past it at 3 m-4 meters or so. Actually I don't think I would have been killed by it at 10-15 meters.

maybe it rotated more then 20 times. 0:)

I suicided with a GL nade today (a pole or a cactus took the heat). But I think it was within 15 meters. How is it with GL nades are they armed at launch? GRAW hadn't that, which was more realistic. Is this a demo issue or should GRIN invent the armed distance for GL nades once again?

They are not armed at launch. Try shooing one at your feet. ;)

Well you would think they would not be, however yesterday i came face to face with a enemy and he shot his GL at my feet i died he did not. He was running around doing this. We were inches apart. So what happened there then i do not know.

Edited by Stealth-Cobra

They are not armed at launch. Try shooing one at your feet. ;)

Thanks! Well I guess I was unlucky then (un-1337). But at which distance does the grenade arm? The distance felt rather short to me.

Ok, well that makes sense. I guessed at 3-4 meters, but it could as well have been 5 meters. In the heat of battle etc.

Anyway the guy I aimed at most have had some things going through his head when he first saw me launching a GL nade (knowing that he himself was toast), and then hitting a telephone pole and blast myself into another part of the shack town, exiting his top 5 concerns list. :)

Thanks! Well I guess I was unlucky then (un-1337). But at which distance does the grenade arm? The distance felt rather short to me.

I actually don't know.

I double checked the code and it is set to 5 meters.

isn't that a little short?

IIRC some US Army vet told me that the M203 HE-DP arms itself after 14-28 meters.

I don't know about the EGLM (SCAR), but I'd imagine it's something similar

5m just sounds too short

Also, remember that if the grenade hits something before it's arming distance it will bounce, and eventually arm once it's travelled far enough. So if you are unlucky it will bounce back in your direction, arm, and well, you can guess the rest. ;)

Also, remember that if the grenade hits something before it's arming distance it will bounce, and eventually arm once it's travelled far enough. So if you are unlucky it will bounce back in your direction, arm, and well, you can guess the rest. ;)

can that really happen IRL? There has to be some safety device built in against that? I find it hard to believe that could actually happen

There has to be some safety device built in against that?

Like what? A friend of foe detector? :P

Seriously though. The rotation safety only works on G force, so one it's got enough G force outwards by rotation the safety goes off and can't be turned back on. So even if it hits a hard target and starts spinning around itself on another axis it will still generate G force as long as it's a rapid rotation and as such it will still arm itself, and it could even go faster as the rotation speed could be higher.

There has to be some safety device built in against that?

Like what? A friend of foe detector? :P

no, but some device that can sense impact, and if that little device senses any impact before the grenade is armed, it can't be armed at all..... but hey, I'm not a professional on the matter

Considering that this is a game I would bet that could be done with a bit of code. Not necessarily a hard object / bounce sensor but like a can't blow up within X number of meters of the lanuncher no matter what. Not very realistic though... I watch a TON of military stuff and read that kind of thing all the time. The one truth that seems clear is the unexpected tends to happen and things that seem to crazy too be real, like being killed by a bouncing nade or ricochet from a friends rifle fire, do occur.

Edited by chilly-willy

seems Wolfsong is right..... it does occur on rare occasions (though I see it physically difficult for it to happen a lot, since the inertia of the projectile wouldn't let it bounce back very far, or if it bounces on a close object it still wouldn't let the projectile spin enough times)

Though the tip of the projectile is sometimes deformed, which disables the warhead, and sometimes the spin turns to a lateral spin, not allowing the weapon to arm

Edited by Cirap