Environmental Detail

I've been playing the GRAW2 demo since its release and since then have been trying to find the optimal graphics settings for my computer. One setting that stumps me is Environmental detail. What does this slider do, does it have any affect on how far i can see in the map or just how far the map is rendered in my view. If I set this to the lowest setting would I be in any way be less capable of pwning people or would i just not pwn people as beautifully as possible. If someone from GRiN could please explain or any one for that matter.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing the GRAW2 demo since its release and since then have been trying to find the optimal graphics settings for my computer. One setting that stumps me is Environmental detail. What does this slider do, does it have any affect on how far i can see in the map or just how far the map is rendered in my view. If I set this to the lowest setting would I be in any way be less capable of pwning people or would i just not pwn people as beautifully as possible. If someone from GRiN could please explain or any one for that matter.

From the manual that came from the DEMO, PLEASE READ

*) Settings and Performance

There are three levels of PhysX adjustable via a drop-down sub-menu in the game-menu: "Options->Video->Advanced Settings". These levels offer variable scale and sophistication of environmental physics and interaction.

I made an animation to see the differences between 100%-0%

environmentdetailbg6.gif

^

Well going by Intelfactors graphic, it does just that, grass can be used to for cover as well.

Hope that Grin rethinks/reworks that one, if it's going to be included as is in MP, atleast make it a server option. One players idea of concealment should not be rendered null and void by anothers options page.

It doesn't remove bushes. I played it on 0% earlier just to see how it looks.

It will change the density of brushed content (like grass - as you already discovered)

Since the brushed content consist of hundreds or thousands of tiny units, it can be performance heavy.

That why you have a slider.

^

Well going by Intelfactors graphic, it does just that, grass can be used to for cover as well.

Hope that Grin rethinks/reworks that one, if it's going to be included as is in MP, atleast make it a server option. One players idea of concealment should not be rendered null and void by anothers options page.

Very true. :o

I made an animation to see the differences between 100%-0%

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/6792/en...ntdetailbg6.gif

They are great shots showing the use of the detail slider.

I noticed the last screenie had no vegetation. Doesn't the minimum affect act like a vegetation removal hack. lol

Let's assume that player one has the detail maximized and player two has it minimized.

Now player one is laying in the grass somewhere trying to hide. Well I guess that player two will spot player one without any problem. Now reverse the senerio. Will player one spot player two as easily?

No problem. It did take awhile. I had to go in and out of a server to adjust settings. :wall:

Yes. The environment setting can not be changed after a map is loaded, only in the main menu options.

I noticed the last screenie had no vegetation. Doesn't the minimum affect act like a vegetation removal hack. lol

Let's assume that player one has the detail maximized and player two has it minimized.

Now player one is laying in the grass somewhere trying to hide. Well I guess that player two will spot player one without any problem. Now reverse the senerio. Will player one spot player two as easily?

No. The player using grass will not spot the other player as easily if he is down in the grass (which he doesn't know where it is for that matter. But there are different lengths and densities in grass so it also depends on those factors and which camo he has.

So when playing against other players I suggest turning environment details off to level the playing field, unless it's just you and your friends playing a closed server when you know you can trust everyone (at least you can hope you can trust them).

No. The player using grass will not spot the other player as easily if he is down in the grass (which he doesn't know where it is for that matter. But there are different lengths and densities in grass so it also depends on those factors and which camo he has.

Does this mean we will be able to choose camos in multiplayer or are you referring in general play?