GRAW 2 Dedicated Cpu Affinity-1 or 2 cores?

CPU AFFINITY & GRAW 2 DEDICATED:

I did some experimenting and found that when the GRAW 2 Demo (none dedicated is switched from 2 core affinity to 1 core affinity the performance drops like a rock (cpu occupancy is pinned 100%). My question is when GRAW 2 comes out with the dedicated server files will we need to run it on a dual core system or can we run the dedicated server on a single core?

Grin, What cpu affinity are Ubi (dedicated) / You in Sweden running? Are you running the demo on 2 cores or the full game on 1 core dedicated ( I suspect you are on 2 core none dedicated).

The problem will arise for CLANS/ GAMING GROUPS currently hosting servers if they have rented a single core system and if GRAW 2 dedicated requires a dual core server, there overheads will increase. We (BeerDrinkingAssassins) currently run Quad core machines in Texas but each core drives a single game ( GRAW1/ GTR2/ Armed Assault etc). If we have to give GRAW 2 Dedicated 2 cores per game this will be an expensive game to host.

Please let us all know, cos I believe there will be alot of interest from other groups/ clans.

viiiper

p.s. our systems are quad 2.4

I wonder if anyone has got good performance out of GRAW2 on a single core cpu? Grin specs for GRAW 2 are below, there is no mention of dual core being a must..... plz say it is true DUAL CORE IS NOT REQUIRED

1.1. System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Intel or AMD, 2 GHz

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista

Memory: 1024 MB RAM

Disk Space: 2 GB

Graphics Card: 128 MB DX9.0c compatible card,

GeForce 6200 or higher

Radeon 9700 or higher

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

DVD-ROM drive : x2 read speed

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Network: High-speed modem with 128 Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a client, 512Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a server on a full game.

Recommended Configuration:

Processor: Intel or AMD 2.8 GHz

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista

Memory: 1024 MB RAM

Disk Space: 2 GB

Graphics Card: 256 MB DX9.0c compatible card,

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive : x2 read speed

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Network: High-Speed Modem with 128 Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a client, 512Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a server on a full game.

I have a single core AMD 64 3700 processor on one of my PCs with an X1900XTX 512mb video card. I tested it on a server and it runs silky smooth. No problems at all. It runs better on my primary PC, of course, since it is a Core 2 duo with an 8800GTX. Other than that, my single core PC runs this game flawlessly.

Edited by intelfactor

I have a single core AMD 64 3700 processor on one of my PCs with an X1900XTX 512mb video card. I tested it on a server and it runs silky smooth. No problems at all. It runs better on my primary PC, of course, since it is a Core 2 duo with an 8800GTX. Other than that, my single core PC runs this game flawlessly.

There is a difference from running on a single core CPU system and running on a dual core system with single core Affinity, lets hope what your saying is true for dual cores, why don't you test your dual core system on single core affinity? be amazed at what happens...... :o

I wonder if anyone has got good performance out of GRAW2 on a single core cpu?

Grin specs for GRAW 2 are below, there is no mention of dual core being a must..... plz say it is true DUAL CORE IS NOT REQUIRED

~

I have a single core CPU. the AMD64 3700+ but with a decent 1MB L2 cache.

I run GRAW2 on a Single Core A64 3500+ OC'd to 2400MHz (from 2200) and X1900GT

works like a charm, always above 40 fps in 1024x768 Medium/High settings. few fps drops, but not much

thanks for the replies (and PAPA6) but we/ I really need some one with a dual core system (or many with dual) to run the game into 1 core affinity (one a single core). I'm not saying the dedicated will not be ok on single core but without the dedicated and only the demo to judge by, things look poor on a dual switched to single core.

It be good to know (GRIN) as we need to prepare the servers for GRAW2 (or not)

Im running a AMD Athlon 64 FX dual core.

Started up GRAW 2 and set the affinity to 1 core, and even the opening credits were choppy. So bad, that the sounds were not going along with the action on screen. On the main menu screen, my mouse would move about an inch or so before freezing for a split second, then jumping 6 inches. I dont have fraps right now, so I cant tell you the frame rates, but I can tell you, turning the affinity to 1 core brought my game to a stand still. Once i set the affinity back to 2 cores, it ran smoothly again.

But from what the others are saying, It seems the game would have no problems being hosted by a single core system. The only time it looks like you will run into a problem is if you have a dual core server and try to run GRAW2 on just one processor. But who knows... it could work great..... time will tell, or maybe a GRIN employee will? (hint hint) =p

Edited by Judge_Recluse

Isn't there a way to launch it in single core rather than launching it, letting the program get started and using both and then asking it to only work on 1 core.

I'm saying, don't even let the game get started on dual core to begin with. I'm wondering if this is the problem since single core CPU's don't have an issue with it. Maybe the issue with with trying to make the game affiliate with one core once it's been processing with 2 and it's not releasing or stopping using the other core properly.

I got good performance using a program that starts the program in one core. It actually forces the game to use the first core which is not exactly what Viiper wants but it's a start. It's called RunFirst. You put the runfirst.exe in the game directory and then make the shortcut look like this INCLUDING the quotes:

"c:\........\Runfirst.exe" graw2.exe

it worked like a charm for me an no stuttering and no drop in frames according to TeamSpeakOverlay.

GRAW2 doesn't require multiple cores. I've been running it on a P4 2.8 or 3.0 (I don't remember) all spring.

But it's built to use multiple cores if they are available, and it enhances the performance of the game radically. As for only using 1 core on a multi core system, I don't think that has been tested as it's not very common for players to do, they want all they can get to run at the highest settings usually.

But, the problem is that on a multi core system each core is usually not that fast, so that is probably your problem. Make sure a single core is at least 2.8GHz, the recommended prop speed.

The real question is MOST game servers are multi core boxes and games are run on affinity to one core, so my question is:

If GRAW 2 DEDICATED Server .exe is run on one core affinity will it run ok / work without problems ?

We rent quad core servers to host multiple games and have done successfully for over the course of Graw1 using core affinity for each game (seeing as Graw1 pins the cpu at 100& most of the time). We do this because it is cheaper than renting 2 or 3 or 4 servers, If we have to buy single game server boxes to host GRAW2 the price will shoot up.

All I'm trying to get is an answer because we do not have the dedicated server files for GRAW2, you have, if Mr. Bo Anderson wants to send me the dedicated server files for testing on our Quad core based machines, I'd be pleased to do so, unless you do it for us. Either way you can PM me or answer via this thread....

best regards

john

viiiper

GRAW2 doesn't require multiple cores. I've been running it on a P4 2.8 or 3.0 (I don't remember) all spring.

But it's built to use multiple cores if they are available, and it enhances the performance of the game radically. As for only using 1 core on a multi core system, I don't think that has been tested as it's not very common for players to do, they want all they can get to run at the highest settings usually.

But, the problem is that on a multi core system each core is usually not that fast, so that is probably your problem. Make sure a single core is at least 2.8GHz, the recommended prop speed.

I agree right there! I JUST read in eweek magazine, that Alienware came out with some mj-12 business system with a quad core Intel Xeon CPU and can be setup for 16GB ram. anyway, not to get off my point. The writer stated that the cores were running a measly 1.8Ghz each. not that wonderful in the realm of CPU frequency.

so theoretically, this system which is a business workstation starts out at $2,500.

But I've noticed that the core speeds have dropped at the expense of the number of cores that one has. perhaps the cores will get faster with time but I did take notice of how clock speeds are so much slower. for a time until everything goes to multi threading, I'll stick to my single-core CPU.

The quads at the BDA are 2.4Ghz and are rented from http://www.defconservers.com/ . The systems have run all games on single core aff. now the big GRAW2 question, the first time we have to ask, because the answers are not coming

P.S. GRIN we are talking about the dedicated server NOT THE GAME, we want to serve not play so the specs are ?

p.p.s. and the only Grin :grin2: to answer is on holiday and not at the office !